The MT-07 Forum

Stalling Issues?

Guru

"They say" (Yamaha) the stalling issue is supposed to resolve itself once the engine breaks in, but I wasn't about to wait.  Besides, I changed out the exhaust so I figured it was on me to correct any engine performance issues.  I forget what the optimal ratio is, but somebody here will know.  All you need to do is plug the engine into the computer and make manual adjustments so the ratio is correct over ALL RPM ranges - especially the low end.  The factory settings were incorrect for my bike.  Anyway, I haven't had a stall under any operating conditions since I got it fixed.

Hope that helps and good luck!
you used what software to do this? 

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Was rolling in stop and go traffic today and the bike made a click and shut off.. i thought my engine just weny kapoot. 3k miles fresh oil change and first time its happened ? pretty disheartening

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen

OK, something you might not know. The FZ-07 has a decompression release. Spring loaded centrifugal weights on the exhaust cam shaft. At low rpm, cranking speeds it bumps open exhaust valves to lower compression for easy starting.

At low enough rpm it will engage and kill the engine.

I wonder if this is coming into play. It's not adjustable and might be too sensitive in some bikes.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Starter motor speed can't produce much more than 100 RPM. When mine did stall (and it did not once this past summer) , it was from a normal idle speed and just touch the throttle - cough, dead. Just watch that video above from SkH

Doubtful the "compression" release has anything to do with this. Besides, if it could cause the motor to stall, how could it ever actually allow the motor to fire up?

• 1 month later...

Just reading over this thread... i will admit that i had a bad case of the stalls when I was under 600 mi and in the break in period... BUT i always thought it was just me learning the clutch.. i was always stalling coming off a stop sign or stalling coming off a red light... i figured it was just me being "off" with the clutch... then all of a sudden the stalls stopped... I thought I had finally learned the clutch for the bike.

• 2 years later...