The MT-07 Forum

Stalling Issues?

Guru

Guest MXRider
This is a common issue with many small displacement new motorcycles. They are so choked up from the factory and run very lean. The emission standards are very strict. Also out fuel in the US is getting crappier all the time.  
Try bumping up the idle a bit. It should also get better once you get some use on the motor.

Ultimately the real fix is to derestrict the bike and get a good tune.
True, but I think a bike should not stall right out of the box.  I bumped up my rpm +100 when it was due for first service and it didn't happen again. Not sure if that solved the issue. Could be a combination of miles on it, fresh oil, getting used to the bike etc..

I agree with you, but I wouldn't blame Yamaha for having to comply with the EPA. If it is just an idle issue though, then the blame most likely falls upon the tech who prepped the bike for delivery.

But, in ten years electric bikes will be taking over. I was really hesitant until I test rode a Zero and holy crap, ya better hang on if ya twist that throttle too much.
I gotta say i don't agree with this, simply for the fact that the range on electric bikes is what like 200 miles? at best? I don't know but you can never go on cross country road trips without worrying when you need to get back home and recharge. And plus they sound really lame with the electric whine, gotta say the reliability of gas stations and the pure aesthetics of classic sportbikes will definitely beat electric bikes for a lot longer than a mere 10 years. Maybe 50+ years down the road... 

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

knuckleup88

Today was the first time my fz has stalled. Got 620 miles on it and haven't had a problem until I left work today. Was in first gear at a red light with the cluch pulled in I slightly rev and when the rpms dropped it died. Started right back up though.

• Global Moderator

Yeah, that stalling issue is weird. It happened to me yesterday while making a U turn on gravel, I was taking it slow and probably fumbled up so I have myself to blame. But I sometimes feel a slight hesitation or stumble when blipping the throttle. Maybe because it's twin, I don't know.

• Premium Member
Today was the first time my fz has stalled. Got 620 miles on it and haven't had a problem until I left work today. Was in first gear at a red light with the cluch pulled in I slightly rev and when the rpms dropped it died. Started right back up though.
Same exact situation happened to me, last Sunday. I have not done my first service, yet. I'm at about 480 miles. 

njdevils1990

New Jersey
555 miles
Have yet to go for break-in service

Bike stalled 4 times so far, only when stopped and about to start. Almost as if the kickstand switch is bad. But never had an issue while riding.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

750 miles - I had my first stall yesterday morning. I was shifting down from 2nd to 1st getting ready to stop behind traffic, and it stalled. Might have been my own fault, and chances are it was my fault... but I do think I remember having my clutch in the whole time? Might have bumped the kickstand a little when placing down feet? Started right back up (before even coming to a complete stop) and rode off.

Oil changed at 280 miles

This issue although minor can actually become extremely hazardous in some situations in city traffic.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

I was out on a ride this morning and stalled...almost certain it was operator error but I noticed the throttle seems really slow to open- and has a really long throw (see my quick turn throttle thread). Came home and took like a 1/4" of slack up on the adjuster at the bar. Not sure if this will help but with doing if you are stalling trying to pull away in first. I also wonder if kicking the idle up would help. I set my idle at like 3K on the racebike to keep the revs up when coming all the way off the throttle...not so useful on the street but a couple hundred rpms might help.

From the French forums, MT07 riders have the same issue.
It happens when stopped in traffic or during hard down shifting. Most of those cases generally happens during the first 400 miles, then the issue goes away. Just weird.

• Global Moderator

I thought I had the problem. It always seemed to stall when I was just about to turn it off anyway. Then I realized it was because I put the kickstand down before turning off the key. I felt like a bit of an idiot, so I may not have had the problem. All the other stalls I can remember were operator error (and at least those ones are getting fewer).

I stalled twice in 650 miles; did not want to add to the thread since I'm not sure if it was my fault or not. I did notice with the second stall that it was chillier out (64 F) than it's been and I did notice the RPM's seem to drop off like it was starved for fuel. Perhaps I was too fast with the clutch and not fast enough with the throttle. Time will tell I suppose. Never a hiccup or hesitation while under way so I'll chalk it up as user error.

Well, I thought I was in the clear. The bike stalled twice in the first 300 miles. Then nothing, nothing, nothing.....and then finally, today at 900 miles it did it again. I ride approxiamtely 10k miles per year so I'm pretty good riding a mototrcycle. The first two I thought, maybe, just maybe, it was operator error as I was getting use to the bike; I gave it the benefit of the doubt even though I had done nothing wrong, that I could think of. Then today, after 900 miles it did it again.

Trends:
All three times I was sweating=hot outside
All three times I had been riding doing a lot of fast acceleration and then it happens when I am stopped or coming to a stop.
All three times involved the clutch being pulled in.

Today, It was about 91 degrees F and it happended after about 15 minutes of solid aggressive riding home, lot's of stop and go in the city traffic. I had the clutch pulled in, barely moved the clutch out and it died. I was stopped at a light and wasn't holding the brake, so I'm certain that it didn't stall because of clutch engagement or I would have felt the bike pull forward (because no brake was applied). When I got home I tried to duplicate it, but if I let the clutch out slowly, the bike started to roll away like I'd expect, not die like it did earlier. Also, in my test when I got home, I let the clutch out exponentially further than I did at the stop light just to see if I could make it happen.

I also noticed that, right after restarting the bike after the stall. I pulled up to the signal to turn right. Came to a stop. Went to take off and there was a huge delay in engine RPM after barely cracking the throttle. By huge I mean, half a second, which is HUUUUGE when you are trying to merge into traffic.

The problem remains.....

• Like 1

njdevils1990

My last stall was at around 400 miles, I just passed 900 issue free so far.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

rotaryryan24

So far I've racked up 1400 miles and its stalled on me once. I believe it was under 800 miles at the time. I was sitting at a light for a long time on a very hot day, died on take off.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Global Moderator

I'm close to 2000 miles now and it hasn't stalled anymore. It might just be that once the engine loosens up the problems goes away. I have to say that the exhaust note is slightly different too. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems more open.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm close to 2000 miles now and it hasn't stalled anymore. It might just be that once the engine loosens up the problems goes away. I have to say that the exhaust note is slightly different too. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems more open.

I really don't think that's it. It happened again last night at 1009 miles. 93 degrees outside. Bike had been ridden hard and then sitting in the sun for about an hourwhile I was at the gym. I went to leave the gym and pull up to the street from the parking lot. Traffic is crazy. I go to pull out from a stop. Barely move the clutch out, barely touch the throttle. The bike never moved, just died instantly.

Every time it has been over 90 degrees.

Guru, what's the temp like where you ride?

750 miles - I had my first stall yesterday morning. I was shifting down from 2nd to 1st getting ready to stop behind traffic, and it stalled. Might have been my own fault, and chances are it was my fault... but I do think I remember having my clutch in the whole time? Might have bumped the kickstand a little when placing down feet? Started right back up (before even coming to a complete stop) and rode off.  
Oil changed at 280 miles
450 miles on mine and the exact same situation happened to me. It definitely wasn't my fault as I know I had the clutch in and my foot was nowhere near the kickstand when I shifted. It's only happened once so far. 

• Global Moderator
....Every time it has been over 90 degrees.  
Guru, what's the temp like where you ride?
Depends on the weather lol. Today it was around 85. But you are correct, it could be related to slow traffic combined with high outside temp. My stalling happened twice when it was hot and slow traffic in the city of Ottawa. 

Mine stalls usually in the afternoon, when its 95+ outside, stop and go traffic and its just like bigity's problems.

Anybody know whats causing it? or a way to fix it?

Also, I had weird problem yesterday, I started the bike, it was in neutral, clutch was in, and when I put it into first, it died. I did that a few times, before I turned the key off and then back on and tried it again, then it worked. It had me worried! any ideas?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

The few times it has stalled on me I think it was my fault but I'm going to pay more attention to the conditions people have mentioned here and see if there is a pattern.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I ride in the desert at temps around 110 - 115 F and have never had a problem. I did monitor the engine temp and tried to keep it as close to 200 F as possible (keep moving, take routs that allow engine to cool after stops)

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Yeah, that stalling issue is weird. It happened to me yesterday while making a U turn on gravel, I was taking it slow and probably fumbled up so I have myself to blame. But I sometimes feel a slight hesitation or stumble when blipping the throttle. Maybe because it's twin, I don't know.
Guru, do you have the aftermarket exhaust and fuel EJK installed? 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!