The MT-07 Forum

Stalling Issues?

Guru

Nothing for about a thousand miles then does it twice in twenty minutes, odd.
The bike does not seem to have the built in diagnostics that some Yamaha's have
were you can adjust the fuel trims, have been looking at handheld fault scanners
but not found one that I am sure will work with the 07 yet.

Tried it, and nothing happens when holding both buttons down and turning ignition on. Not after 6-8 seconds, or ever.
You need the YDT (Yamaha Diagnostic Tool, which is the software run on a PC and connects to the electrical connector under the passenger seat) in order to change the CO settings.On the FZ-07 (in the USA, at least), it's not done via the instrument meter as other models. An on-the-ball tech at a Yamaha dealer can tell you all about it.

• Global Moderator

I had some stalling issues when I was still breaking in the engine. When the bike went in for first service, they hooked it up to the diagnostics computer using the plug under the seat and the tech raised my idle with 100 rpm. I haven't had any problems after that. I stalled it once or twice but I consider that to be user error.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I installed my M4 exhaust, changed the oil and filter and tightened the chain.
Bike had about 300 miles on it.
Rode it around, got the engine good and warm and then the engine stalled 4 (FOUR) times while sitting at red lights.
Pull the clutch in, stop, shift into neutral, wait for the green light, shift into 1st then ease the clutch out and the engine simply quits.
Cagers looking at you probably thinking you're a clueless newbie.
Other times, pull the clutch in, leave it in 1st, wait for the green, then ease the clutch out and again the engine quits.
Fortunately, it started right back up all 4 times but thank gawd I didn't get rear-ended by some cage.   However, the engine quitting in traffic is an extremely_dangerous_issue.
This is definitely a problem with the Yamaha FZ-07 motorcycle and definitely NOT an "Operator Technique" problem.

Maybe it does not like the new exhaust, your miles are quite low mine was at it's worst about 300 miles,
at 2000 miles it hasn't done it for some time, mine cut's just as you touch the throttle many riders subconsciously
very slightly open the throttle as you put it in gear ready to set off and thats when it cut's dead, it is likely
to stop doing it as miles mount but it should not do it in the first place can you imagine a car owner putting
up with it? not a chance, complain to your dealer/Yamaha I have otherwise they wont even look at the problem.

Maybe it does not like the new exhaust, your miles are quite low mine was at it's worst about 300 miles, at 2000 miles it hasn't done it for some time, mine cut's just as you touch the throttle many riders subconsciously
very slightly open the throttle as you put it in gear ready to set off and thats when it cut's dead, it is likely
to stop doing it as miles mount but it should not do it in the first place can you imagine a car owner putting
up with it? not a chance, complain to your dealer/Yamaha I have otherwise they wont even look at the problem.

Agree with everything you just wrote, Ralph. I just rode it aggressively about 75 miles today on both the interstate and in town and it stumbled and stopped in city traffic only once. However, today is Sunday and there aren't too many cagers on the road so I sailed on thru most of the stoplights where I'd normally have to sit and idle. It started right up as usual. Even though I was anticipating the engine to die on me the woman behind me hadn't been expecting it and so of course she (justifiably) gave me a quick (e.g: "get going!") honk. [sigh] 
In any event I'm hoping you're correct and the engine stalling will cease the longer I flog her. The 07 has too many redeeming qualities to badmouth her too much at this early juncture. She truly is an outstanding motorcycle and I suspect she'll only get better over time...  

I've had multiple starting from stop stalls. It has happened at all different temps and times of day. It generally happens if I'm being lazy on the throttle after blipping and starting to release the clutch. I use a two finger clutch grip so my travel isn't that far before released. I considered it to be user error every time, but still rather embarassing. With the abundant complaints it does make you think about it more though.

I had it stall out on me yesterday. It definitely was not operator error, it's been a few thousand miles since it did it last time. I was rolling through a stop sign, first gear with the clutch in. I was only going 3 or 4 mph, as soon as I saw it was clear to go I blipped the throttle without even letting out the clutch and it died. I just clicked it into 2nd let out the clutch to pop start it an it fired right up. Definitely not cool.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I had it stall out on me yesterday. It definitely was not operator error, it's been a few thousand miles since it did it last time. I was rolling through a stop sign, first gear with the clutch in. I was only going 3 or 4 mph, as soon as I saw it was clear to go I blipped the throttle without even letting out the clutch and it died. I just clicked it into 2nd let out the clutch to pop start it an it fired right up. Definitely not cool.
Yep, it damm shore ain't "Operator Technique." Anyone who sez otherwise is simply implying that they're one of the "chosen few" blessed with the finesse, dexterity and delicacy of a brain surgeon. GMAFB!

No you can't save it when it does it just stops dead and I have been riding bikes since Yamaha started making
bamboo rickshaws, mine at 2000 miles is doing it less and less I have found that I can tell if it is likely to
do it and turning it completely off then back on sometimes helps, but if it is running right and that is most of the time
then the thing is almost stall proof it will pull away on tick over in first or second gear without problem,
but just when you think it will not do it again it does it again.
Get it hot let it tick over then just gently rev it up a few revs several times and thats when mine does it
just as you raise the revs as though getting ready to set off.

Just for curiosity what's your idle RPM reading? mine is at 1100.I wonder if it's set to low on your bikes.Mine only did that ones at around 140 miles (current mileage 1600)

As near as I can tell it is 1100 it is rock steady at idle no problem at all
it only happens on mine just as you pick up the revs from idle leave it idling
and it will sit there doing that till the 20 min timeout.

I have a new FZ 07 and have had the same problem I'm going to mention it to the dealer when i go for first oil change and tune believe it should be covered under warranty if it keeps up caused me to fall as i was trying to get bike out of traffic at stop, (sucked i could not get my cain out of my back pack to help push so my new bike fell and it broke a couple things).

Only way they are likely to take it seriously is if lots complain and tell them it's a safety issue
mine as to go in for the battery lead recall so when it does I will have another go car owners just
would not put up with it.

• Premium Member

I've had the stall two times now. One before my 600 mile maintenance and one post. I mentioned it to the tech during its first service and they told me it could of been a loose connector on the battery that they adjusted. I had it happen to me again last weekend. Same issue its in neutral pull in clutch and it died. I have ~2500 miles.

Only way they are likely to take it seriously is if lots complain and tell them it's a safety issue mine as to go in for the battery lead recall so when it does I will have another go car owners just
would not put up with it.

The other way to make sure Yamaha takes notice is it file a report with the NHTSA at this link:  https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/   
With all the bad press the auto makers are getting now with all the recalls going on I bet Yamaha would move very quick to fix this to avoid a recall and handle is as a Service Bulletin... Then again they may do a recall to cover themselves legally.  

Bottom line its a safety issue!

Dave  

• Like 1

I agree with the NHTSA idea. We all like Yamaha, but when buying the FZ-07, one is under the impression of receiving a safe product.
If we don't think it is safe, we send a notice to the dealer (as some have already done) or directly to the manufacturer.
If the notice falls on deaf ears, this only means a lack of product back up.
The only resource left to the consumer is, sadly, to go to the top, the NHTSA. My 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

Anyone consider that the bike is idling lean? Could explain why it is only happening at stops. I swear I read somewhere on another forum about another bike that the FI bikes are tuned to run real lean at idle from the factory for emissions reasons. On some bikes, owners will correct this through programming or by fooling the bike ECU into thinking it is in higher gears that fuel richer. Something like that.

This issue worries me as this is my wife's bike. We just got it, so can't say yet if her bike has the issue or not. I don't like the idea of her bike stalling at lights. She already has enough to worry about when riding as it is. If this starts happening it will only serve to make her anxious and not trust the bike.

ben

One thing I have learned from a Yam tech is that when you pull in the clutch
the ignition timing is retarded by few deg it can only be sensed by the clutch
lever switch so maybe if this is a anti stall device "many cars have a anti
stall switch on the clutch pedal" then clutch adjustment could play a part in this.

One thing I have learned from a Yam tech is that when you pull in the clutch the ignition timing is retarded by few deg it can only be sensed by the clutch
lever switch so maybe if this is a anti stall device "many cars have a anti
stall switch on the clutch pedal" then clutch adjustment could play a part in this.

It seems odd that alot of fz07s come with the clutch switch unplugged, my dealer gave me a total BS answer for why they are unplugged, something about the clutch can't take it. Could the stalling issue be connected, how many of you that have had the stalling issue have the clutch unplugged.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

Mine is plugged in always as been and it stalls though it is getting better.
the dealer also said run it on 97 oct rather than the more normal 95, in the
book at least the UK one it says at least 95 so I suppose it is the lower limit,
I am now making sure I use 97 to see if I can tell any difference. It may say
different things in other parts of the world as the service intervals are different
in the UK and USA.

My arrest-me-red 07 stalled at the most inopportune times perhaps a half dozen instances back when she was brand new while I was initially breaking her in. Though the manual doesn't recommend this, on several short rides I flogged her pretty hard and even bounced her off the rev-limiter once or twice and she hasn't stalled at all since (I'd say in the past 300-400 miles). Just sayin'.  

My 07 has never stalled on me during a ride but it stalls every time when warming it up in the morning and leaving it idled for about 10 minutes. Tested this about 10 times now and it's the same result. Temperatures get hot enough for the radiator fan to start which is around 220 degrees. Then shortly after the engine quietly shuts off as if the kill switch was triggered or key was turned.

This problem doesn't bother me at all as long as it's not stalling while I'm riding. I see this as my 07 saying to me, "I'm warmed up! Come ride me. If not, I'm gonna go back to sleep and not waste all this gas idling!"