The MT-07 Forum

Stalling Issues?

Guru

Did i do something wrong? I was under the impression that you could be in a billionth gear (sarcasm) with the clutch pulled in and the engine should still run...

44 years of riding, mine has stalled more times on me in its 1st 4 months than I've stalled my 12 year old Aprilia since new. Seems to do this more when the bike has been in traffic and has gotten hot.  I've also never owned a car w/o a clutch.  
It's the bike, not you. Somewhere along the line, yamaha will either bring out a new map that will fix this (maybe 50 more RPM at idle) or we'll decide that the TBs sync is the culprit (mine still need to be checked) . Until someone figures this out beyond just supposition, yer just gonna have to be smooth with the throttle and a bit vigilant while going slow.

Thanks Rick.

I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something that i did.

Do you think a trip to the dealer is warranted?

If you have an exceptional shop that will not patronize you and maybe even go online ( there are at least 3 forums having this conversation about the FZ7 stalling) to read about this, then yes.

I don't even want to step foot back in the shop where I bought mine.

luvbnabubba

Thank you to everyone who posted about the stalls!  Your posts gave me a lot of insight and confirmed I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. It's been a chronic problem for me, and the dealership thinks I'm "making it up" or I "don't know how to ride a Sport bike."  Needless to say I'll never go back there.

I copied, pasted, and composed a great composite of your feedback to give to the new mechanic.  It can't hurt!  And at least this way they can see other riders are having the same problem.  Thanks again!

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Just bought and rode an fz07 with 150 miles on it today and stalled twice. Both times were at a standstill at a light. I've been riding a cb500f for a little over a year and couldn't stall that bike unless I blipped the throttle and completely released the clutch in one go. The stalls today just came out of nowhere as I was easing the clutch out.

Guest Ralph

My dealer does now acknowledge the problem and was due
to look at one last week to see if they could sort out
what it is and have said they will look at mine once
they know how to fix it, I have not been in to check
what was found must do so next week but mine as not
done it for over 500 miles since I balanced the throttle
body's.
One problem is that if you ask owners if it stalls they 
say id does but they wont even mention it to the dealer,
until it does it in traffic and they get thruched up the back
side that is.

Getting the dealers to listen is half the battle. Once a few dealers start reporting back to Yamaha in search of help, that'll really get the ball rolling on this.

But also good news that the TB sync has fixed yours. That might be all it takes, a good careful TB sync. I suspect a small bump in idle RPM would also help.

If it ever freeking warms up here, I'll get to mine. I'll be happy with 50s F at this point. Can't remember the last time my 1st ride of the year waited till April. I'm thinking this might be a 1st. (not counting the years some surgical intervention stopped me from even driving - Doh!

• Global Moderator
...I suspect a small bump in idle RPM would also help.
I mentioned this in one of my previous posts but when mine went in for its first service I had it bumped by 100 rpm. You can't even see or hear the difference, but it never stalled on me again.

...I suspect a small bump in idle RPM would also help.
I mentioned this in one of my previous posts but when mine went in for its first service I had it bumped by 100 rpm. You can't even see or hear the difference, but it never stalled on me again.
Can only hope they did that thru the ECU and not the throttle stop screw.  

YEah, 100 RPM's nothing to feel at idle. I was thinking maybe even 50 would do it. 

• Global Moderator
Can only hope they did that thru the ECU and not the throttle stop screw.  

YEah, 100 RPM's nothing to feel at idle. I was thinking maybe even 50 would do it. 
Yes, they adjusted it while being hooked up to a computer. I specifically asked them too.

Sweet. hate going anywhere near that shop, but it might be necessary. Gotta put the vac gauges on mine 1st though.

Happened again tonight...

Rolled off throttle, clutch in, downshifted from third to second... Engine died.

So, I'm going to bring the bike to the dealer as this is really starting to worry me.

What is the best, easiest to understand way to present this problem to the dealer?

Also, what is the recommended solution to request? A bump to idle speed?

Just tell him this seems to be a world-wide issue with some of these bikes (not everyone, but more than it should be) If he doesn't believe you, just tell him to do a google search for FZ/MT07 and stalling

Ask him to check the TB sync and then maybe even bump the idle RPM up 50-100 RPM. If he does not have the ability to do this from within the ECU's program, find someone else who can and knows how.

Do not let him mess with the throttle stop screw. That will just add more problems to the mix.

Guest Ralph

Been in the dealers today they have had a 07 in for stalling quite bad by
all accounts only thing they found was the throttle body's out of sync, it
was done about 2 weeks back and as not been back so they think it cured
it, this fits with mine as mine as not stalled since I did the same.

More good news. Looking more and more like a good TB sync will deal this away. Time to dust off the gauges.

Now, if it was only not still 15F below normal. I won't bother doing mine until it's a bit closer to 70F out than the 40 we have right now.

Roger.

Ill be taking my bike in this week and i will report back accordingly.

EDIT:

Maybe i wont be taking the bike in...

I called both of the large Yamaha Dealers around me and both of them refused to acknowledge that this was a problem.  They had "never heard of it" and the guys on the forums dont know what they're talking about.

They insisted that they charge me for diagnostic time and that they would NOT flash the ECU to raise the idle speed.  The guy kept saying how the only problem that the bike had was the abrupt on off throttle issue from the ride by wire system that yamaha released an ECU flash fix for...

I reminded me four times that i was talking about the FZ 07, not the FZ 09 and he kept saying the same thing.  He insisted that changing the idle speed or syncing the throttle bodies would do nothing to prevent the engine from cutting out.

I hate South Florida....

• Global Moderator

That dealer has no idea what he is taking about. The FZ-07 does not have a ride by wire throttle (as I am sure you know). I am not sure how raising the idle speed is reflashng the ECU. It is just a setting change done with a computer, isn't it? Is there another dealer that is not too far away? It might be a good excuse for a ride.

that's just painful to read. Morons! .

Well, I have a suggestion. It sounds like the sync job might just be more important than raising the idle. It really needs to be checked at some point anyway. And if yer gonna keep this thing for a while or even buy another bike that will likely also need this checked, buy a set of gauges and do it yourself. Not having to be talked down to by the minkeys at the dealer and having the satisfaction of doing this yourself is well worth the 70 or so bucks it'll take to buy a set of 4 vac gauges. Out of that 4, at least 2 will be perfect.

I experienced an engine stop while downshifting for a rail crossing, caught me off guard and I was quite alarmed when the bike would not catch in gear when I released the clutch. The bike would not retire using the switch until I shifted into neutral. I noticed the unplugged wire and reconnected it, then tried shutting it off while in motion with the kill switch then starting with the starter switch which seemed to work. Sure would not have worked out well with a cager on my tail. My 600 mile service will happen this week I hope so I'll mention the problem to the dealer.

Just too my 1st look at the plug to that switch. If it's been plugged in properly, there's no way w/o releasing the little hook latch it's gonna just come out. Someone just never got it inserted completely.

Guest Ralph

Never does it when engine is cold.
Most likely to when engine hot and as been turned off for a few min I think this is due to heat soak.
It does it when the engine is at tick over revs you just touch the throttle and it cuts dead.
There is a very slight hunting when it is likely to do it at low speed steady throttle.
It did it a few times up to first service "no body sync" then now and again after, I have synced
the body's and it as not done it since but feel it may at some point, now as 3250 miles.