The MT-07 Forum

Stalling Issues?

Guru

There will lilkely be an updated map if and when the FJ07 makes daylight. As to whether or not Yamaha will make it free for us, who knows.

Mine (knock wood) has not stalled all summer.

• Like 1

Me either ... got 3 k miles on it now.

There will lilkely be an updated map if and when the FJ07 makes daylight. As to whether or not Yamaha will make it free for us, who knows.  
Mine (knock wood) has not stalled all summer.

• 3 weeks later...

My bike stalled on me twice today. I have had it since June and it has never stalled on me until now. Both times I had been sitting at a light for a while due to traffic. Last week I went to biketoberfest in Daytona and sat at lights waiting longer than the ones today.

The bike has under 2000 miles with yoshimura exhaust, ejk, snorkel removed and o2 sensor disconnected and it has been that way since July. The only thing that I think may be playing a part in this is that it was at least 15-20 degrees cooler today than any other time that I have ridden it.

Mine as not stalled for ages but one thing I am going to try is
I believe the temp sensor is under the trim at he front of the
tank and in a pretty warm location it is only held by one screw,
Next time I take the Tupperware off I will look at relocating it
in the hopefully cooler place being the right hang grill, if it
is cooler it should fool the ecu into running slightly richer,
they do tend to stall after sitting still for a time with little
airflow so it may help.

Hmmm, just caught up with this thread. I haven't had a problem until returning from a short ride this morning. Pulled in the clutch to gently ride up the kerb into my driveway and she just died. I had enough momentum to coast to my garage door, but I've never had a bike do this before, although I've only done 300kms so far on the -07. I'll keep an eye on it and speak to the service manager at the dealership.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue. Happenned to me today. Stop and go traffic. Engine temp around 220. Happenned at a red light with the clutch pulled all the way in. I rolled on the throttle and the bike died. Not user error. =(

I have this issue. Happenned to me today. Stop and go traffic. Engine temp around 220. Happenned at a red light with the clutch pulled all the way in. I rolled on the throttle and the bike died. Not user error. =(

220*?! Wow, mine never gets hotter then 195. Once saw it 205* then shot straight to 190* after the fan kicked on. No stalling issues either

Honda Grom
CB 350

220*?! Wow, mine never gets hotter then 195. Once saw it 205* then shot straight to 190* after the fan kicked on. No stalling issues either
Yea anytime I had the bike stall on me, the engine was hot.  Hottest I've seen was 223*.  The joys of riding in NYC traffic.
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

@007, I like that H-O decal. I wonder if those are available in the US. Is that the only visual difference between the LAMS and the regular version in Australia?

Hi mjh937... for this yeat at least, the H-O in Australia is only available in the Racing Blu colour scheme (silver with blue wheels and frame) whereas the LAMS is available in extreme yellow, competition white, matt grey and deep armour (whatever that is, a kind of dark purple by the looks of it), but not in the Racing Blu. Not sure if the H-O decal is available in the USA... after all the H-O is just an Australian/New Zealand Yamaha distributor invention to separate it from the LAMS. Not much help I know! :)

• Global Moderator

Thanks @007, it is interesting to learn about what Yamaha is doing down under. My parents and sister live in New Zealand, so I have an additional interest in your general area. I will have to see if my dealer can order those stickers. I know they do not mean anything here but I really like the look of them. You can never go wrong with a subtle high output sticker :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the ECU Flash + put in the K&N Air Filter. I added onto the bottom of my original post with more details if you were curious.

Asking about this was the first thing I did when I got in there... and yes, this was one of the big reasons they created this flash. They got rid of that fuel cutoff, and if the flash did nothing else but fix that it still would have been worth. After I realized that cutoff behavior, it was pissing me off whenever I would ride lol. I hated that slight fueling-delay when trying to take off at stop lights, when downshifting, or when blipping the throttle, but now, it is ~GONE FOREVER~

~ albatrosscafe, 12 hours ago
Awesome! Now all the naysayer's can't say we aren't giving it enough gas and are letting the clutch out too fast. I can't wait to be as happy as you about getting rid of that particular problem. I do a lot of u-turns and if it died on me when I made it into the fast lane I could be in big trouble faster than I could drop the bike and run. I just need to say to hell with the money and get this done - it's way too dangerous a glitch. If you don't mind I copied this to the "Stalling" thread so people with the same problem can find the answer to it easier. Have a great day!

Beemer

mine hasn't stalled all summer, but I do remember my 1st impression of rolling off the throttle in 2nd or 3 gear and getting slid onto the tank - holy sh---t, this thing's got some engine braking! It was the primary reason i got the Seat Concepts gripper cover. lol

The engine braking doesn't bother me as much as it did, but it does get in the way of my riding style on occasion where I just want to moderate the speed just a touch by rolling off the throttle w/o touching the brakes - which is what that fuel saving part of the OE mapping does - like it or not.

Alright, after over a year of riding the FZ07, it finally happened!

So I am on 4th, I downshift to 3rd, and then I blip the throttle, except no engine noise. For some reason I interpreted this as a false neutral (even though it is nothing like a false neutral) so I upshift to 4th, that is when I realize the engine oil light is on and its very quiet, so I reset the kill switch (in hindsight I realize there was no need to reset kill switch) and restart the engine.

Got it on vid, happens very quickly so eh, sorry about that.

[video src=https://youtu.be/TR7c7x0aeyc]

• Like 1

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I think that happens more than you think on the 07, the engine cuts
as you go for a gear change and restarts as the rider
lets out the clutch in the next gear, the rider just thinks they
have done a rough  change.

I think it's really rare to happen the way it did to you.  Most have the problem while accelerating from a standing start.  Definitely not good while already moving and between gears.

Alright, after over a year of riding the FZ07, it finally happened! 

I've had the bike stall while moving several times recently. It stalls after a stoplight as well. I live in NYC, so the bike does get hot often. I'm going to try to get it to the dealer before it gets too cold so they can take a look at it. Maybe a small bump in the idle speed will get rid of my stalling problems. It has been my only complaint with this bike so far.

• Like 1

I'm up to 2000 kms and the bike has stalled enough at low speed in heavy traffic to make me wonder if anyone else has experienced the issue and if there was maybe a thread about it..DOH! :D Sudden "cut-out" stalls with no warning, requiring a very quick whip in of the clutch to save the plot. Typically trickling in a little more throttle at low revs when lane-splitting, a very bad time to stall.

I'm at almost 2k miles and my 07 has never stalled. This thread is long ..have you checked that little clip just below the clutch lever? Make sure that is pushed all the way in and that it clicked.

• Like 1

One Solution to stalling issue = adjust the air / gas ratio.  My problem was far too much air at low RPM's - like idle speed, clutch in - pulling up to a light or shifting gears, neutral at a light, clutch in beginning to throttle any gear, hot weather (110 F or more in Las Vegas), cold weather (35 F or lower in Las Vegas), sun, rain, snow, night, day, full moon - in other words, everything I've read in over 25 of the latest threads posted here!

I experienced all of them at one point or another, and I was frustrated as hell.  It's hard enough being safe on the road without having to deal with engine stalls.  Once I got a qualified mechanic to correct the air/gas ratio, I've had no problems at all - not one. Too much air chokes the engine. In my case, it was ONLY at the low RPM range. I have the computer graph around here someplace showing how off it - I should post it.

"They say" (Yamaha) the stalling issue is supposed to resolve itself once the engine breaks in, but I wasn't about to wait.  Besides, I changed out the exhaust so I figured it was on me to correct any engine performance issues.  I forget what the optimal ratio is, but somebody here will know.  All you need to do is plug the engine into the computer and make manual adjustments so the ratio is correct over ALL RPM ranges - especially the low end.  The factory settings were incorrect for my bike.  Anyway, I haven't had a stall under any operating conditions since I got it fixed.

Hope that helps and good luck!