The MT-07 Forum

Seat Concepts - show and tell

g3ngo

• Premium Member

I'll write up a more thorough review once I get more seat time on it. I road a bunch yesterday but in my leather suit. Totally felt different once I just had on my usual jeans on.

It's definitely night and day compared to position and cushion. I got the all carbon and it's pretty slippery compared to stock. I don't think I'd still go grip, but I'm just putting it out there.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received mine yesterday. Very prompt shipping. I followed all the instructions, including buying the pneumatic stapler and the correct staples etc.. I installed it today, and must say I am a bit disappointed. I don't think the cover fits that well -- as the foam seems to not be cut very precisely so it has sort of loose spots along the back edge. Also, the material (none slip) sort of looks cheapo. I have been working on bikes for years and even cut and upholstered a couple of seats myself so I'm not a complete dope when it comes to doing this sort of work. The end result -- no matter how I tried tightening here there and everywhere -- was that the cover just really doesn't seem to fit very well. Overall it has the look of a slip-on seat cover. It is very comfortable though, and that was my main reason for buying but if you are getting it for looks -- I don't think the final product looks very good at all.

This is a pretty tough shape on our seat to try and fit properly. Hope I have better luck with mine when it comes in.
modmaster

• Premium Member
I received mine yesterday. Very prompt shipping. I followed all the instructions, including buying the pneumatic stapler and the correct staples etc.. I installed it today, and must say I am a bit disappointed. I don't think the cover fits that well -- as the foam seems to not be cut very precisely so it has sort of loose spots along the back edge. Also, the material (none slip) sort of looks cheapo. I have been working on bikes for years and even cut and upholstered a couple of seats myself so I'm not a complete dope when it comes to doing this sort of work. The end result -- no matter how I tried tightening here there and everywhere -- was that the cover just really doesn't seem to fit very well. Overall it has the look of a slip-on seat cover. It is very comfortable though, and that was my main reason for buying but if you are getting it for looks -- I don't think the final product looks very good at all.
I don't necessarily want to call you out on your installation skills, but if you look at my pictures earlier in the thread my seats came out pretty darn near perfect -- I had them do the install of the saddle, and I did the install of the pillion seat myself.  Now granted the saddle does have an area in the "dish" where the cover hovers over the padding a bit, but that is to be expected given the shape of the foam -- the only way to have the cover hug the foam tightly throughout would be to glue it to the foam, and it is not supposed to be -- it is designed to move a bit.

• Premium Member

I had one wrinkle I could not get out no matter how I stretched. One day out riding in the sun and it is gone. I have done their seats before but this seat is a very challenging shape.

I helped do this once on a DR350 seat with pretty much one shape. It was a pita, but we were using a staple hammer - not pneumatic. Eventually, it went on OK. The underside was not pretty though.

If you watch the video on the Seat Concept site of the FZ09 seat being done, you'll see that even someone who's done this a bunch pulls staples out and refits here and there. Some spray adhesive for the foam/base interface at both ends will help hold that in place. .

Yup, where the it's concave, it's gonna be a bit loose. W/o using adhesive there, it's just not gonna lay inward

I'd say, doing some riding and then go back and do some more stretching - fitting.

Mine's scheduled to arrive tonight! I'll let ya know.

I don't necessarily want to call you out on your installation skills, but if you look at my pictures earlier in the thread my seats came out pretty darn near perfect -- I had them do the install of the saddle, and I did the install of the pillion seat myself.  Now granted the saddle does have an area in the "dish" where the cover hovers over the padding a bit, but that is to be expected given the shape of the foam -- the only way to have the cover hug the foam tightly throughout would be to glue it to the foam, and it is not supposed to be -- it is designed to move a bit.
    With all due respect, I have been working on bikes for many, many years and I believe I did about as well as somebody that is not a professional upholster. You are absolutely correct about the cover hovering over the padding a bit, however since riding it today, it really does seem to fit a bit better. Overall, it is looking better in my view and I am completely satisfied with how it feels. It is very comfortable and the grip is nice -- no more sliding forward etc.... So, bottom line -- it's all good. I wanted comfort with an inexpensive price and I got pretty much what I wanted. I think it actually takes a little getting used to and allowing it to seat.

I did my TR650 husky seat which has a much more complex topology and it worked perfectly. DRZ400 one was easy but it has a very simple shape. Followed their instructions exactly. One thing though, it will fit better if you leave it is the sun or in a cold place near a heater just before you fit it , then leave it in the sun straight after, then immediately ride it for a while. It should conform pretty well if you fitted it even just OK. I did have the advantage of the tropical sun though I guess.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I just got mine in the mail today. Hope to instal today or over the weekend. The new foam feels so comfortable. I can't wait to try it out.

I just received mine yesterday.  Only took 3 business days!  Speedy delivery.  I ordered the full carbon with red stitching and it looks great! I'm going to tackle the installation on my own.  Based on others' reviews I'm really looking forward to riding once installed.

So.. Like I posted earlier, I got mine in the mail today and I was going to try and install at least the rear seat today, but I ran into a little problem.. My 18 Gauge stapler only goes down to 1/2" long staples and the instructions say they should be no larger than 1/4". I was going to use these staples because they are the only stainless steel staples I can find in the right size, but they don't fin the stapler I have. Those staples in the link seem to fit a heavy duty hand stapler, and I want to use a pneumatic one. What pneumatic stapler did you guys who installed this yourselves use? I want to use those staples, but I'm having a hard time finding a pneumatic staple gun that can take them and their small size. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Premium Member
So.. Like I posted earlier, I got mine in the mail today and I was going to try and install at least the rear seat today, but I ran into a little problem.. My 18 Gauge stapler only goes down to 1/2" long staples and the instructions say they should be no larger than 1/4". I was going to use these staples because they are the only stainless steel staples I can find in the right size, but they don't fin the stapler I have. Those staples in the link seem to fit a heavy duty hand stapler, and I want to use a pneumatic one. What pneumatic stapler did you guys who installed this yourselves use? I want to use those staples, but I'm having a hard time finding a pneumatic staple gun that can take them and their small size. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I bought this, and it worked well with Arrow T-50 staples (which are 1/4" deep):  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EOJPC6

Got mine on last nite. No rides with it yet and that's what really counts, but 1st impression.

The foam alone felt dang near as heavy coming out of the box as the entire OE seat assembly!

I got the grippy cover and it sure is. I hated the slip&slide nature of the OE cover. So that also is good. Just by feel, I'd say the carbon look material is even slicker than the OE cover. So if you slide now, just wait.

The cover is cut so that I did not need to trim or cut it anywhere. Had some trouble sliding the cover over the new foam. Don't know if this was ultimately bad thing and saw no one do this on youtube. I used a very small amount of talc powder in my hands and wiped the foam with it. This made the foam nice and grab free making the instal much easier.

Yup, i have a wee loose spot right before the nose that I am sure will work it's way out after some arse time. Not an issue.

The area right behind the thighs on the OE foam have sharp edges that I feel all the time. The new foam is nicely rounded - scratch one pain off the list.

The foam is meant for someone heavier than my 135 lbs and as such is a bit firm. I sorta expected this after reading their optimal weight range on their website. It also feels a bit dished where the butt cheeks go. I'll reserve comment on that until I do some miles. But, between the hard-ish foam and that dish (which I've never experienced before), I might add a thin (maybe 3/8", no more than 1/2" ) layer of softer foam in the shape of a triangle right on top. That'll fill in the dish and give a softer perch for the bones.

Would I do it again, yep!

I want to use those staples, but I'm having a hard time finding a pneumatic staple gun that can take them and their small size. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
This will also drive a T50 staple. it's the one I used  http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-wide-crown-stapler-68029.html. Find a 20% off coupon that pops up everywhere
I was actually looking at that one, but I wasn't sure if it could drive that type of staple. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I appreciate it. 
Edit: Well I must not be able to read because when I looked at this yesterday, I failed to notice the thing that says, "Takes T50 and similar" under the description.. Whoops.. Haha

If you go to HF, make sure you know/take the cat number. They have 2 staplers that look pretty much exactly the same and are the same price. One only fires 1/4" crown staples that are narrower and longer. I forgot to take my printed sheet and had to open the boxes and read directions to make sure i was buying the right one. Almost did not!

I had a 25% off couple so only 18 bucks. Seems to have worked reasonably well enough. Start at about 70- 75psi. 80 punched thru the fabric with my compressor. Doh!

Quick update. Went on a long ride today and the seat feels great. I like the grippy material -- which is not too grippy. After having ridden it a while it seems the entire fit is better too. I may have been overly negative at first -- after having just installed it and still bleeding from stapling my thumb and forfinger together (joke) -- but now I am completely satisfied. If I were asked if I would recommend it -- I definitely would.

still bleeding from stapling my thumb and forfinger together (joke) --
that's why I stopped using hammers and bought nailers, lol. 

Quick update. Went on a long ride today and the seat feels great. I like the grippy material -- which is not too grippy. After having ridden it a while it seems the entire fit is better too. I may have been overly negative at first -- after having just installed it and still bleeding from stapling my thumb and forfinger together (joke) -- but now I am completely satisfied. If I were asked if I would recommend it -- I definitely would.

Great to hear you're so satisfied now :)
I was starting to think "what have I got myself in for" after your first post... Great work and thanks for updating with the positive response :)

So excited to get mine now after reading this... Any day now :D

• Premium Member

Update! After riding all week on it, it's finally feeling real comfortable. Just gotta put some seat time in to get it to shape to your own ass (and thighs.. the "lip" of the dish was a bit high for me at first). Carbon doesn't feel as slippery anymore. Pretty much like stock. I can go over shetty roads and it'll take a good amount of the absorption. It's a definite upgrade! Thumbs up.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived