The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 pricing thread

Cruizin

Hey guys, I'm new here and have been looking into buying an FZ-07 from a local dealer here in FL. I was quoted an OTD price of 7,910, but felt that was a little high. Taxes @ 7% of MSRP is $490, plus $100 doc fee brings the bike close to $7600 and then the remainder comes from crate fees. How are you guys getting your bikes so cheap?

Florida is a sellers market, not a buyers market. During the winter, the Midwest stores need to move bikes.

There is no bad time to sell a bike in Florida. Keep shopping and don't settle.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Florida is a sellers market, not a buyers market. During the winter, the Midwest stores need to move bikes. 
Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you think it would be worth it to get This bike instead of buying new?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you think it would be worth it to get This bike instead of buying new?
Where about's in Florida are you? 
If its South Florida you're going to be hard pressed to get a "good" deal.

I paid 7600 OTD and that was the best i could get within a 150 mile radius of where i live.  Knowing what i know now, i would gladly have traveled 300 miles one way to open up my shopping experience but my FZ was my first bike and i didnt want to ride a bike home more than 50 miles as i was uncomfortable.

THAT particular bike that you linked is a great deal with only 200 miles on it.  The one thing to keep in mind was that it was a demo bike so for those 200 miles, people probably thrashed it.  It DOES come with a warranty so i wouldnt really worry about it but its something that might bother you so keep that in mind.

THAT particular bike that you linked is a great deal with only 200 miles on it.  The one thing to keep in mind was that it was a demo bike so for those 200 miles, people probably thrashed it.  It DOES come with a warranty so i wouldnt really worry about it but its something that might bother you so keep that in mind.
I'd worry more if people were babying it. A nice break-in is always a key to prolong life of a bike. If it hasn't been dropped it's as good as new in my book.

I'd worry more if people were babying it. A nice break-in is always a key to prolong life of a bike. If it hasn't been dropped it's as good as new in my book.
I certainly do not disagree but some people still ascribe to the babying philosophy of engine break in.

I certainly do not disagree but some people still ascribe to the babying philosophy of engine break in.
Yeah that is my only worry. Not even necessarily that someone went hard on the engine, but if a new rider thrashed the transmission. I'm in North Florida, so this bike is only a couple hours away. I might have to go take a look at it this weekend.  
Why would you worry more that someone babied it?

Yeah that is my only worry. Not even necessarily that someone went hard on the engine, but if a new rider thrashed the transmission. I'm in North Florida, so this bike is only a couple hours away. I might have to go take a look at it this weekend.  
Most engine break-in period happens in those first 200ish so miles so I would not want my piston rings to of been sealed poorly. Babying the engine would/could increase chances of "blow-by" past the piston head and could lead to burning oil in the distant future. I could give you a whole spiel on what to do or what not to do. As for the transmission, I don't think as much damage has been done to it as if you were going to be riding the piss out of it on a couple track days. Everything should check out in my opinion. The FZ-07 is kinda a Hooligan bike, it probably can handle more than a couple lousy riders. A little redline never hurt anybody. ;) 

Most engine break-in period happens in those first 200ish so miles so I would not want my piston rings to of been sealed poorly. Babying the engine would/could increase chances of "blow-by" past the piston head and could lead to burning oil in the distant future. I could give you a whole spiel on what to do or what not to do. As for the transmission, I don't think as much damage has been done to it as if you were going to be riding the piss out of it on a couple track days. Everything should check out in my opinion. The FZ-07 is kinda a Hooligan bike, it probably can handle more than a couple lousy riders. A little redline never hurt anybody. ;) 
Awesome, thanks for that explanation. I think I might just pick this one up. I'm waiting on the seller to let me know if he can meet me halfway. With the savings of getting a used FZ, i just might be able to afford getting an exhaust right off the bat. 
Thanks again 

Thanks again 
No problem, I've had the most fun in my entire life on this bike. You certainly cannot go wrong buying an awesome bike like this. Just sit on it, if you can test ride it, do it. Make sure the chain is adjusted properly, which I usually raise the top of the chain and if it touches the chain guard it's too loose. Coolant is always good, check that. I wish I would have an extra 1k, laying around to spend on a exhaust system. :P Good luck with the sale 

Thanks again 
No problem, I've had the most fun in my entire life on this bike. You certainly cannot go wrong buying an awesome bike like this. Just sit on it, if you can test ride it, do it. Make sure the chain is adjusted properly, which I usually raise the top of the chain and if it touches the chain guard it's too loose. Coolant is always good, check that. I wish I would have an extra 1k, laying around to spend on a exhaust system. :P Good luck with the sale

So after some talking back and forth with the seller, I somehow convinced him to sell me the bike for $5500. looks like i will be picking it up this weekend!

I will definitely do as thorough of an inspection as I can, thanks for the advice on the chain tension. Any other things to look out for?

So after some talking back and forth with the seller, I somehow convinced him to sell me the bike for $5500. looks like i will be picking it up this weekend!  
I will definitely do as thorough of an inspection as I can, thanks for the advice on the chain tension. Any other things to look out for?
Not really too much other than looking for any scratches/blemishes to the bike itself, in my opinion I would change the oil/filter asap, because some people have run into stalling issues but never again after the first change, personally I haven't with my 525 miles so far, + any metal fragments from the tranny/engine break in itself. Although the filter would probably stop it, better safe than sorry. I changed mine at 125 miles, and will be doing it again after a couple riding days in the spring.(Around 550-600 miles) 
Other than that, I would say it's a solid good deal on a 200 mile bike in new condition!

~
Marcus

Not really too much other than looking for any scratches/blemishes to the bike itself, in my opinion I would change the oil/filter asap, because some people have run into stalling issues but never again after the first change, personally I haven't with my 525 miles so far, + any metal fragments from the tranny/engine break in itself. Although the filter would probably stop it, better safe than sorry. I changed mine at 125 miles, and will be doing it again after a couple riding days in the spring.(Around 550-600 miles) 
Other than that, I would say it's a solid good deal on a 200 mile bike in new condition!

~
Marcus

Thanks again for all of your help Marcus, I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to change the oil asap, and I just ordered a magnetic drain plug so hopefully that will help prevent any future issues with particulates in the oil.  
I really wanted to get the blurple fz, but I couldn't turn down a deal this good. I haven't even had a chance to test drive an fz-07 yet, so I can't wait to get my first ride in this weekend. I'll be sure to update you when I get the bike.

Thanks again Marcus,

Taylor

Well, I'm in negotiations with a dealer in Va to buy my FZ-07. It looks like OTD will be $7010. This will include state sales tax and DMV crap. I'll update here when I pick her up in the next week or so.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

What is the trend on FZ-07 prices? I've seen $6300 and $6000 advertised at a couple of Yamaha dealers in Southern California on craigslist. I realize that's not the OTD price. As more FZ-07 's come into the USA are the prices starting to drop?

Thoughts?

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I don't know about you guys, but with respect to riding a demo bike, someone from the dealership is usually riding with you.  Keep in mind, the dealer knows they have to sell that demo bike eventually.  So if I decided to just beat the crap out of the bike, they simply stop me, ask me to get off of the bike and have someone else ride it back.  Only happens a handful of times, but the dealer is usually pretty good about watching over their stuff.  

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

What is the trend on FZ-07 prices? I've seen $6300 and $6000 advertised at a couple of Yamaha dealers in Southern California on craigslist. I realize that's not the OTD price. As more FZ-07 's come into the USA are the prices starting to drop? 
Thoughts?
Looks like a downward trend if you read this thread. How much of that is seasonal? I imagine a lot of it is. From what I've seen, in Cali, its the add-ons that they screw the buyer with. 6300 for the bike plus 500 freight, plus 150 handling, plus 1500 prep, plus taxes, plus license, etc....soon its pushing 9-10k. I found the dealers in Va pulling the same tricks, with smaller numbers. OTD cost is all that matters. Don't focus on that one number too much.

All the quotes I got, I compared the bottom line on...I don't care how they get there. Beware them 'ducking' the tax...you'll still have to pay it. Once you know what it is, just add it in on all the prices to compare apples to apples.

The $7010 OTD price I just put my deposit on is $400 less than any other quote I got. I got pricing from ten dealers in Virginia alone.

I bet in sixty days, the price for all of them will be at least 1000 higher, because demand will start to drive pricing again. Now is the time to buy, IMHO.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Global Moderator

I don't know about you guys, but with respect to riding a demo bike, someone from the dealership is usually riding with you.  Keep in mind, the dealer knows they have to sell that demo bike eventually.  So if I decided to just beat the crap out of the bike, they simply stop me, ask me to get off of the bike and have someone else ride it back.  Only happens a handful of times, but the dealer is usually pretty good about watching over their stuff.  
When I did test rides they had the bikes running in the parking lot.  One was used and one was brand new. I was just asked not to put too many miles on the new bike and be careful on the new tires. They did not care how far I went on the used one. No one rode with me.  [div] [/div][div]Having said that I think it would be hard to do much damage to a modern bike that was not obvious with a close inspection. I would not be too concerned if it had been revved a bit. Mine was, of course it was all done by me :). [/div]

I got an OTD price of $6850.00 in NH & negotiated to have a Yoshimura R-77 Full Exhaust System (Stainless Steel) for $500.00 flat with no labor costs..... No state tax, no freight costs, etc... I'm happy with the price

$7,661 out the door in New Jersey. 
@tony which area?

Long Island Kawasaki Yamaha.  Where Rts 106 & 107 meet, around IKEA.

Where in NJ did U get such a deal?  Everywhere I asked was quoting $8200.

Archived