The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

pineappleunderthesea

I'm thinking of a new Helmet (currently have a Qwest), but what do you guys think about the new anti-concussion technology that seems to be coming out in 2016 helmets? These new helmets help with rotation type impacts that current helmets don't protect against, a good example might be the Bell Star line of helmets, I think the Race Star and above have it. They call it a 3 layer Flex impact liner.

Or is it just Marketing?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Did they offer up any kind of peer reviewed study? Test statistics? Engineering analysys? Without any of that, to me, it's marketing. Could be they just haven't gotten around to any of that yet but who knows.

Everything went braap.

pineappleunderthesea
Did they offer up any kind of peer reviewed study? Test statistics? Engineering analysys? Without any of that, to me, it's marketing. Could be they just haven't gotten around to any of that yet but who knows.
Well I had looked up some stuff, apparently the tech is borrowed from the dirt world and is supposed to help with rotational impacts--the ones that can cause concussions. 
Here's a link to an article, no real data though.

I pasted a relevant snippet from that article:

"The answer might seem obvious, but many helmet manufacturers have forgotten that the entire purpose of the skull is to protect the brain. So much so that one of the standards, SNELL, forgoes brain protection entirely in the interest of protecting your skull from an even higher or harder fall—even as the stiffer padding can more easily cause brain trauma."

Sedici sistema modular... It's a great helmet, but lacks airflow. i hate the modular inside face shield. It's moves and bounces if the ground is not perfectly smooth. Very convenient to not have to change visors but makes me sick watching that thing bounce around.

• 3 weeks later...

HJC CL-17. Black. Very comfortable. Got it at the dealership at cost price since I bought my bike that day.

dentalprodigy

HJC FG-17 yellow. Got it for $110 price matched at Revzilla. It's my first helmet so can't really give a decent review but it is loud and has way too much ventilation for me. Despite having the vents closed, air still gets inside especially at the mouth vent area. Might go for those foam earplugs to abate the loudness issues

cookfreeordie89

I just picked up a shark raw helmet in mat black and grey, paired with their blue tooth system

I have an HJC IS-17.
It isn't very loud to me and the slide down sun visor is pretty nice when needed.
I just bought a second one due to my first one being matte black and it rolled off my bike and broke the slider for the visor...
This one is Lime Green to *help* people see me. :)

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

I just picked up a shark raw helmet in mat black and grey, paired with their blue tooth system
i just picked one up too! how do you like it?

Bought the brand new shoei x14 in white with the black face shield. Absolutely love it. Best helmet I've ever worn

Also in my collection are

Shoei gt air
Shoei x12
Shoei neotec
Shuberth c3 pro
Scorpion exo900

I have a helmet problem

cookfreeordie89
It's awesome! It's a little loud so earplugs are a good idea. I thought the dark lense would be too dark at night but, it wasn't too bad. I haven't  really been able to test out the blue tooth. It's was around 40* tonight and I wore a full face balaclava and it made a world of difference. What color did you get

It's awesome! It's a little loud so earplugs are a good idea. I thought the dark lense would be too dark at night but, it wasn't too bad. I haven't  really been able to test out the blue tooth. It's was around 40* tonight and I wore a full face balaclava and it made a world of difference. What color did you get
i got the all matte black. it arrives tomorrow. can't wait!

I'm rockin the new Icon Airframe Pro Construct helmet in black. Love how well designed this helmet is, and how crazy light and well performing. Gotta hand it to the koreans on this one, they did a great job with this model.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ChicagoAJ
2nqyxyr.jpg

Icon Airmada Chantilly (white) with the RST blue visor. Got it as a Christmas gift from my girlfriend last year, love it. Definite upgrade from my modular Bilt Air Demon which I gave away when I sold my last bike.

Bought the brand new shoei x14 in white with the black face shield. Absolutely love it. Best helmet I've ever worn 

Shoei gt air
Shoei x12
Shoei neotec
Shuberth c3 pro
Scorpion exo900

I have a helmet problem

I'm trying to decide between a shoei and schuberth c3 pro. What are your thoughts seeing as you've worn plenty of both?

autoentropy

Have a AFX DS from riding supermoto. Too windy, not enough protection. Thinking about the Shuberth S2. Anybody have any experience with it or have another suggestion for a quieter ~$300 helmet?

Shoei gt air
Shoei x12
Shoei neotec
Schuberth c3 pro
Scorpion exo900

I have a helmet problem

I'm trying to decide between a shoei and schuberth c3 pro. What are your thoughts seeing as you've worn plenty of both?
i prefer the full face over the modular so i have since gone back to the shoeis. the Schuberth was a touch quieter but not much. also they claimed difference in weight isnt noticeable compared to my new x14.  
i have never worn one of Schuberth full face helmets so i cant compare those. 

as for what i have i keep coming back to shoei year after year.

autoentropy

Hey everybody. Looking for a new helmet. Found a solid deal on an Icon Airmada. Wanted to see if any riders here had experience with them?

Guest ChicagoAJ
Hey everybody. Looking for a new helmet. Found a solid deal on an Icon Airmada. Wanted to see if any riders here had experience with them?
Love my Chantilly. They run smaller, so I'd suggest ordering a size up. Bit loud even with all the vents closed, however. That would be my only gripe with it. 

Archived