The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

autoentropy
Hey everybody. Looking for a new helmet. Found a solid deal on an Icon Airmada. Wanted to see if any riders here had experience with them?
Love my Chantilly. They run smaller, so I'd suggest ordering a size up. Bit loud even with all the vents closed, however. That would be my only gripe with it. 
That is really what I am worried about. Wind noise drives me crazy. How does it cut through the wind?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChicagoAJ
Love my Chantilly. They run smaller, so I'd suggest ordering a size up. Bit loud even with all the vents closed, however. That would be my only gripe with it. 
That is really what I am worried about. Wind noise drives me crazy. How does it cut through the wind?
Awesome. I've never actually noticed it getting hung up while riding if that makes sense. If you're not a fan of wind noise though, I don't know if I would recommend it, I usually ride with ear buds in for GPS/music and even on nearly max volume it's still pretty noisy. 
I'm pretty used to it now, I can't really compare it to anything other than my other helmet, a cheap, modular Bilt Air Demon. That was equally as noisy, they could be quiet compared to other manufacturers for all I know. 

11/10 for comfort and quality though. 

• Premium Member

Bell Revolver EVO modular.  The only thing I don't like is the wind noise.  I've been checking out the new Australian made Vozz "rear entry" helmet, something of a revolutionary design. It will be for sale in the U.S. after it receives DOT certification in April '16. ...may be a little too pricey! 

Got a scorpion r2000, didn't fit well.
Got Shoei gt air, hurt my temples.

Settled for RF1200, so far so good (with earplugs).

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

• Premium Member
agvk5_enlace_helmet_matte_white_black_detail.jpg
AGV K5 Enlace in Mat white/black.
First bike and first helmet so I can't compare it to anything else.

The AGV K5 and the RF 1200 (sold as the Shoei NXR outside of the US) both got 4 star ratings from the sharp helmet ratings. The reason I chose this over the RF 1200 was because it just fit much better in size ML (medium large) than the large size Shoei. The SM, MS, ML, LG sizes they offer are great options instead of just a small, medium, and large.

only issue so far has been fogging and that was only during the first time I wore it. YMMV

• Premium Member
agvk5_enlace_helmet_matte_white_black_detail.jpg AGV K5 Enlace in Mat white/black.
First bike and first helmet so I can't compare it to anything else.

The AGV K5 and the RF 1200 (sold as the Shoei NXR outside of the US) both got 4 star ratings from the sharp helmet ratings. The reason I chose this over the RF 1200 was because it just fit much better in size ML (medium large) than the large size Shoei. The SM, MS, ML, LG sizes they offer are great options instead of just a small, medium, and large.

only issue so far has been fogging and that was only during the first time I wore it. YMMV
Nice! That's a cool looking helmet. I absolutely love the drop down fighter pilot shades on mine; I wouldnt buy another without this feature. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

When i tried the helmet, I liked it. I asked them what colors they had it stock besides all black and that was the last one. It is a cool color scheme but I got the idea (somewhere ;)  ) to get some black reflective tape and make it even cooler. Yea, mine came with the drop down visor and it's a badass idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the Bell Qualifier DLX in the Rally Graphic from RevZilla. Seems like a decent first helmet, and the transition shield really sold me. Oh and out the door at ~$250 seemed like a sweet deal.  Anyone have any experience with this helmet or any advice? Thanks!

autoentropy

Got the Schuberth S2 for about $350 on Revzilla, I think MSRP was like $800. First thing I noticed was how light it was. Its actually amazing, I thought the box was empty when I picked it up.

I started using it and the buffeting and noise sucked real bad, I couldn't figure it out because this is supposed to be one of the top wind tunnel tested helmets. Figured out it was the windscreen (which I hate anyways) causing turbulence and messing with the aerodynamics of the helmet. Took it off and it cuts through the air. Awesome helmet for a naked bike.

C8lA6PH.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
What do you mean the "wind screen?" It has something other than the face shield?
The aftermarket windscreen he put on his bike, I would guess. 

autoentropy
What do you mean the "wind screen?" It has something other than the face shield?
The aftermarket windscreen he put on his bike, I would guess. 
Yep, the Puig windscreen that was on my bike. Took it off an the helmet cuts through the wind like a hot knife through butter. Super quiet too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone that has the RS-1, how did you fix the liner covering the top vents? I get 0 airflow on the top of my head due to this.

captainfz07

I like this one for comfort, air flow, price, and matches fzo7 Grey and blue. For round headahape. HJC CL-17

Shoei GT-Air Wanderer TC-1 (Black w/Red Stripe)

- Chad

Current:
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 in Red/Black

Past:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R600 Orange/Black
2006 Suzuki GSX-R600 Blue/White

• Premium Member

Scorpion EXO 1200, black and white Freeway graphic. Going to add some EL wire for night rides when I have some time. 

5nvLWWz.jpg

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Pulled the trigger on a new Shoei rf1200 i got the transitions lens with it for free
holy crap
So much bettef feel and its not truly broken in yet

Where did you go to get the lens thrown in?

• Global Moderator
Pulled the trigger on a new Shoei rf1200 i got the transitions lens with it for free
holy crap
So much bettef feel and its not truly broken in yet
Where did you go to get the lens thrown in?

i purchased from the helmet center in phoenix.
I was looking at a solid color but they didt have one in my size
since the profit margin on the helmets for them isnt much (~10%) and they really cant discount them much.
the guy i was dealing with offered the transition lens as a compromise(i was getting a dark smoke lens already) for the price increase since all they had in my size was a gray/black valkerie version(100$ upcharge over the solid colours)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I'm wondering if any of you have an issue with engine harmonic resonance with your helmets. I used to have a '08 Street Triple but I sold it because the exhaust note around 6K on the tach was causing me serious discomfort and I actually developed tinnitus from it. I got the FZ-07 and it was quiet and I figured that was the end of the problem. Well, as it turns out, I sold my FZ and bought a GSXR 600 instead, but now I'm having issues again. Thing is, it doesn't seem like it's a volume issue. If I ride without a helmet (done for testing purposes), I don't have any problems. No ringing afterward at all. If I ride with the helmet, but no earplugs, I get ringing in my ears. If I ride with my helmet AND earplugs, the ringing is horrible; I'm almost deaf after a ride of more than 20 min. So I'm at a loss. I'm wondering if the helmet itself is somehow resonating with the harmonic frequency of the engine at certain RPM ranges. I didn't have this issue with my Nolan, that I can remember, but I gave that helmet to my wife. I tried it on the other day and I can't even get it over my chin all the way, so either my head grew or it was too small to begin with. I'd hate to buy another helmet (and my wife would kill me) only to find it wasn't the issue.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I'm wondering if any of you have an issue with engine harmonic resonance with your helmets. I used to have a '08 Street Triple but I sold it because the exhaust note around 6K on the tach was causing me serious discomfort and I actually developed tinnitus from it. I got the FZ-07 and it was quiet and I figured that was the end of the problem. Well, as it turns out, I sold my FZ and bought a GSXR 600 instead, but now I'm having issues again. Thing is, it doesn't seem like it's a volume issue. If I ride without a helmet (done for testing purposes), I don't have any problems. No ringing afterward at all. If I ride with the helmet, but no earplugs, I get ringing in my ears. If I ride with my helmet AND earplugs, the ringing is horrible; I'm almost deaf after a ride of more than 20 min. So I'm at a loss. I'm wondering if the helmet itself is somehow resonating with the harmonic frequency of the engine at certain RPM ranges. I didn't have this issue with my Nolan, that I can remember, but I gave that helmet to my wife. I tried it on the other day and I can't even get it over my chin all the way, so either my head grew or it was too small to begin with. I'd hate to buy another helmet (and my wife would kill me) only to find it wasn't the issue.
I get some resonance between 4-6k but it's nothing because I have the stock exhaust. Ringing ears is the exactly the reason I'm keeping the stock exhaust too. Try riding with headphones in with some music with med volume just to drown out the exhaust and see if that works. That's what I do. 

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
I get some resonance between 4-6k but it's nothing because I have the stock exhaust. Ringing ears is the exactly the reason I'm keeping the stock exhaust too. Try riding with headphones in with some music with med volume just to drown out the exhaust and see if that works. That's what I do. 
I was thinking about trying that. I recently found these bluetooth wireless headphones. Maybe I'll give them a shot. https://www.getkanoa.com/?gclid=CIKfu4WlhMsCFYIBaQod8OgPIw 

Guest ChicagoAJ
I was thinking about trying that. I recently found these bluetooth wireless headphones. Maybe I'll give them a shot. https://www.getkanoa.com/?gclid=CIKfu4WlhMsCFYIBaQod8OgPIw
I just run cheapo "sport" headphones from eBay that clip on my ears, best thing I've found for use with a helmet (ear buds always fall out). I bought 5 pair for like $6 shipped. I just put my phone in my jacket pocket and run the wire under the jacket or my shirt. Gets the job done.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Ear-Sports-4-1-Earphone-Earbuds-Hook-Headphone-Headset-Good-FE-/231820047299?var=&hash=item35f98d33c3:m:mxVt5SBdZOgeJ2h72xUbrtg

bigdaddybane

I've been riding with Arai for more than 10 years ... presently have Corsair V and older but still great Signet GT.

Archived