The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
I was thinking about trying that. I recently found these bluetooth wireless headphones. Maybe I'll give them a shot. https://www.getkanoa.com/?gclid=CIKfu4WlhMsCFYIBaQod8OgPIw
I just run cheapo "sport" headphones from eBay that clip on my ears, best thing I've found for use with a helmet (ear buds always fall out). I bought 5 pair for like $6 shipped. I just put my phone in my jacket pocket and run the wire under the jacket or my shirt. Gets the job done.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Ear-Sports-4-1-Earphone-Earbuds-Hook-Headphone-Headset-Good-FE-/231820047299?var=&hash=item35f98d33c3:m:mxVt5SBdZOgeJ2h72xUbrtg

The trouble is that I wear glasses, and I don't think those would be very comfortable under a helmet that is already pressing my ears inward toward my head. But I like the idea. Thanks for the input. 

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChicagoAJ
I just run cheapo "sport" headphones from eBay that clip on my ears, best thing I've found for use with a helmet (ear buds always fall out). I bought 5 pair for like $6 shipped. I just put my phone in my jacket pocket and run the wire under the jacket or my shirt. Gets the job done.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Ear-Sports-4-1-Earphone-Earbuds-Hook-Headphone-Headset-Good-FE-/231820047299?var=&hash=item35f98d33c3:m:mxVt5SBdZOgeJ2h72xUbrtg

The trouble is that I wear glasses, and I don't think those would be very comfortable under a helmet that is already pressing my ears inward toward my head. But I like the idea. Thanks for the input.
I wear clear glasses at night under my helmet with those same headphones and I barely notice the extra pressure. For a dollar, just try it before you spend 50+. Just my thoughts, lol.

martyinaustin

i just bought and have been testing the Shoei Qwest helmet. the reviews are pretty mixed. on the one hand, along with my Givi screen, i feel like i'm really riding "on top" of the bike...as
in, very aerodynamic. i notice that the Givi throws air right up to the top of the helmet, and if i ride with the visor up, there's a pretty wicked wind whistle. if i ride with earplugs in,
which i almost always do, it's not a problem. if i ride with the visor all the way down or almost all the way down, the noise is nearly gone and not a problem.

i'm an audio engineer so i'm pretty picky about noise...and eliminating or at least taming it. i use the chin skirt thing now, along with the visor mostly down and
i feel like it's great. fwiw...

marty

Those bluetooth earbuds look awesome, but I would be concerned with too much noise blocking on the road, no way to adjust volume (unless you have easy access to your phone while riding) and battery life.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Bell RS-1 it's pretty quite, fit is snug, the transition visor is great and the style is great, just hate the emblem on the front.

designslucid

LS2 from my local dealership. I assume they're comparable to the HJC I use to wear. Really liking the transitional visor and the spot built in for glasses.

autoentropy
I get some resonance between 4-6k but it's nothing because I have the stock exhaust. Ringing ears is the exactly the reason I'm keeping the stock exhaust too. Try riding with headphones in with some music with med volume just to drown out the exhaust and see if that works. That's what I do. 
I was thinking about trying that. I recently found these bluetooth wireless headphones. Maybe I'll give them a shot. https://www.getkanoa.com/?gclid=CIKfu4WlhMsCFYIBaQod8OgPIw
Those are nice earbuds but they are going to fall out of your helmet and you are going to get pissed. I just use wired noise canceling earbuds that have a good fit and they work perfectly.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
Those are nice earbuds but they are going to fall out of your helmet and you are going to get pissed. I just use wired noise canceling earbuds that have a good fit and they work perfectly.
I tried a cheap pair today and they did nothing. I took them out almost immediately and put my earplugs back  in. I have another set of earbuds that I'll try, but I've also begun learning where the RPM range is that bothers me, so I just stay out of it. I cruise at around 9K or 4K, depending on the gear and that seems to help a lot. 

Any love for the ICON Airmada Street Motorcycle Helmet

I have the rubatone Airmada. I love it. It's loud but fits my long oval headshape perfectly. When it comes time for a new helmet I will buy another one.

If you want the safest helmet on the market go 6D ATS1!

While Bell is trying to catch up...they still do not have technology that is equal to the 6D.

Plus the matte carbon is badass.

inkedinspector

So I figure this may be the most appropriate thread for this, but as I posted in my intro, I'm 100% newbie. After doing plenty of research on helmets, and best guestimating my head shape with help from the wife, I am looking to finally make a purchase. But I have a bit of a problem, I have never been a fan of going to look at something in a store and ordering it online later. I would love to order off of revzilla as they do ship free and don't have a re-stock fee, but still return shipping is gonna add up if I go through 2-3 helmets finding one that fits just right. I would feel bad going to a local shop and just trying on a bunch of solid color versions of the helmets I like to find one that fits and order it afterward. So I guess my question to y'all is how did you go about getting a great fit on your first helmet?

The specific helmet I am hoping to purchase is a Shoei RF1200 in the Diabolic graphic, assuming the fit is good.

So I figure this may be the most appropriate thread for this, but as I posted in my intro, I'm 100% newbie. After doing plenty of research on helmets, and best guestimating my head shape with help from the wife, I am looking to finally make a purchase. But I have a bit of a problem, I have never been a fan of going to look at something in a store and ordering it online later. I would love to order off of revzilla as they do ship free and don't have a re-stock fee, but still return shipping is gonna add up if I go through 2-3 helmets finding one that fits just right. I would feel bad going to a local shop and just trying on a bunch of solid color versions of the helmets I like to find one that fits and order it afterward. So I guess my question to y'all is how did you go about getting a great fit on your first helmet?  
The specific helmet I am hoping to purchase is a Shoei RF1200 in the Diabolic graphic, assuming the fit is good.
Fitment is most important than other features on a helmet. So I would suggest test fitting in a store is a good thing.

This link is not updated with latest models but is a good starting point to finding what type helmets fit your head shape.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Between various brands and between models in the same brand the sizing may not be uniform. So while it is not what you want to do, I would still feel more comfortable spending money after test fitting a helmet.

kakusaizou

I actually went to a local shop and the guy immediately gave me a model to try. Felt pretty good but I decided to go elsewhere and try other models. After going through a dozen models, the first dude was pretty much on the spot. I didn't end up buying from them but did give them my business for other needs.

inkedinspector
I actually went to a local shop and the guy immediately gave me a model to try. Felt pretty good but I decided to go elsewhere and try other models. After going through a dozen models, the first dude was pretty much on the spot. I didn't end up buying from them but did give them my business for other needs.

Yeah, that last part is kind of what I am thinking of. Maybe go try on some of the solid colors they likely have, find the one that fits best and order online, but give them some business by buying gloves, boots, etc.  

Best I can figure my head should fall on the rounder side of intermediate oval, which from my research a shoei rf1200 should fit fairly well. But definitely want to test out something before I drop 500 bucks on it. Besides, local shop may know a helmet with similar quality and features that they think will fit best.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I always go try things on in person just to make sure I don't have to go through the hassle of shipping/exchanges. I'll give local shops a chance to get my business and see if they'll price match whatever it is I plan to get online, I've only ever had one shop say they'll do it but then try to slide in sales tax like I'd happily pay that... Ended up getting my helmet online too after that.

• Global Moderator

Yeah, that last part is kind of what I am thinking of. Maybe go try on some of the solid colors they likely have, find the one that fits best and order online, but give them some business by buying gloves, boots, etc.  

Best I can figure my head should fall on the rounder side of intermediate oval, which from my research a shoei rf1200 should fit fairly well. But definitely want to test out something before I drop 500 bucks on it. Besides, local shop may know a helmet with similar quality and features that they think will fit best.

shoei and arai are the top tier of helmets
the shoei rf1200 is an amazing helmetif you have the money to spend on it
if not, the hjc FG-17 might be an option.
same head shape/fit
a little less comfort but its a much less expensive helmet

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

With Shoei and Arai in the top tier, how do Schuberth, Icon, Scorpion, Bell, and the 6D ATS-1 helmet stack up against in terms of safety?

Currently have scorpion, but would like to upgrade to TOP of the line in safety performance. I'm between Shoei, Schuberth, and the 6d ATS at the moment. Just threw the other brands in there as they are known brands and would like others opinion on where they all fall in best to worst scale.

• Premium Member

Hello Redstang4:
I have Shoei Neotec in Briliant Yellow (yes, I like to be seen :) ).

It is expensive, and I have not had the chance to test if it is as safe as the price would suggest (glad of it, I may add...).

It is, however, a very solid-feeling helmet, with some nice touches.
I tried to give a review of it in this thread:

HERE

Overall, I like mine.

Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

• 1 month later...

Shoe rf1200 medium. Fit was off but the local shop helped out with some pads. Square-ish head so yeah...haha. They were on "clearance" for 430 bones. I got hooked up w some mod light so i installed that as well (lots of night commutes). Transitions visor as well and i wear glasses.

a0cff188f55f15dd0b7825116bd5e39d.jpg

With Shoei and Arai in the top tier, how do Schuberth, Icon, Scorpion, Bell, and the 6D ATS-1 helmet stack up against in terms of safety? 
Currently have scorpion, but would like to upgrade to TOP of the line in safety performance. I'm between Shoei, Schuberth, and the 6d ATS at the moment. Just threw the other brands in there as they are known brands and would like others opinion on where they all fall in best to worst scale.
Don't anyone get me wrong, I know Shoei and Arai make excellent helmets but where is the proof they keep a persons head safer than other brands? I'm comparing three helmets here and they're all well made helmets. The Arai doesn't say what material it uses in it's shell construction, only that it's DOT certified and the Shoei only says it uses Multi-Ply Matrix AIM Shell Construction, which sounds like a fancy word for a mix of materials maybe like the Scorpion uses,  a 5 layer blend of interlaced and specially formulated fiberglass, Aramid and organic poly-resin fibers. I don't know of anything on the market right now that's stronger than kevlar so I'm not convinced any one of these helmets is better, safety wise, than another. Just my 2. 

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-T1200-Street-Motorcycle-Phantom/dp/B00QG96BXE/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1469836644&sr=1-5&keywords=scorpion+helmet

https://www.amazon.com/Shoei-RF-1200-Helmet-Large-Matte/dp/B00FVTM0AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469836266&sr=8-1&keywords=rf1200

https://www.amazon.com/Arai-Helmet-Black-Frost-Large/dp/B0041CAE18/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1469836966&sr=1-2&keywords=arai+helmet

Beemer

Don't anyone get me wrong, I know Shoei and Arai make excellent helmets but where is the proof they keep a persons head safer than other brands? I'm comparing three helmets here and they're all well made helmets. The Arai doesn't say what material it uses in it's shell construction, only that it's DOT certified and the Shoei only says it uses Multi-Ply Matrix AIM Shell Construction, which sounds like a fancy word for a mix of materials maybe like the Scorpion uses,  a 5 layer blend of interlaced and specially formulated fiberglass, Aramid and organic poly-resin fibers. I don't know of anything on the market right now that's stronger than kevlar so I'm not convinced any one of these helmets is better, safety wise, than another. Just my 2. 

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-T1200-Street-Motorcycle-Phantom/dp/B00QG96BXE/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1469836644&sr=1-5&keywords=scorpion+helmet

https://www.amazon.com/Shoei-RF-1200-Helmet-Large-Matte/dp/B00FVTM0AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469836266&sr=8-1&keywords=rf1200

https://www.amazon.com/Arai-Helmet-Black-Frost-Large/dp/B0041CAE18/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1469836966&sr=1-2&keywords=arai+helmet

Shoei like any other brand you are paying part for the name. Their materials and construction might be better. They might have better customer service. Their R&D and Q&A might be better. Advertising plays a big part in it as well. What I do know about Shoei and Arai is they have many different shell sizes for their helmets. Meaning they don't use one shell and put different size foam and pads to make it fit each size.

My top teir helmet go to is Shoei. I like their helmet design and it fits me. If I had to pick another one that is less I would go with KBC. Are they still in business? I think Arai's cost too much too :)

Greatness

• Global Moderator

Shoei and arai both cost for the name... but you kinda get what you pay for as they also use top grade mats
both shoei and arai opt to get their helmets Snell Certified as well as ECE
both tests cost the companies thousands of dollars as they have to be done by third parties

DOT testing is usually done in house and for inexpensive brands that probably means a minimum wage data entry drone running the tests(my opinion)
and the standards arent that high to begin with.
This article is quite enlightening

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2013/04/08/motorcycle-helmet-standards-explained-dot-ece-22-05-snell/

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I originally was responding to this statement: "Currently have scorpion, but would like to upgrade to TOP of the line in safety performance." I've heard for years and years that Shoei and Arai make the best helmets but are they 'the best for safety'?

I agree that the top tier helmet makers do put nice features in their helmets but I'm focused only on safety here and so far I only see a blanket statement about less expensive helmets which may hold some truth but which cheap helmet companies does that blanket statement pertain to? I would like to see some solid evidence that top tier helmets make your head safer. 

Beemer

Archived