The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

• Premium Member
 I would like to see some solid evidence that top tier helmets make your head safer. 

Part of the issue with helmets is how you determine what is "safer." Especially since lab conditions for a test may be much more different than the real world results.

These are the main three standards: DOT, Snell, ECE. 

DOT seems like the minimum type of protection.

Snell is a little more rigorous than DOT but it has been debated if it's actually safer. link here to some of the controversy
To be fair, the Snell standards were updated in 2010 but they may not have fixed all the issues.

ECE is the strongest of the three helmet ratings in my opinion. This is my "good enough" category for a helmet.

Link to some of the details for the three different tests: here 

As I said, one of the problems with helmets is that they may perform differently in the real world than in the lab. A resource I used to buy a helmet was the UK's SHARP helmet ratings (which are just more tests beyond the ECE requirement) and the ratings are based on the results of the tests. Even the Sharp rating has some controversy though. Here's an article that describes an academics thoughts on the system.

So the issue is about what you think is "safe enough". All helmets need to pass the minimum requirement for safety (the DOT requirement). ECE helmets will perform better but it's hard to say if one ECE helmet will perform better than another. Also, the type of accident may affect performance too. One ECE helmet may perform better than another in a certain type of accident but worse in another type.

If you are basing helmet safety just on the SHARP ratings alone, then there are tons of lower-priced helmets that are rated better than some of the more expensive helmets.

When I got a helmet I made sure that it was ECE rated and I considered the SHARP rating too (even with its inherent flaws because I don't think we have a better method of testing helmets yet. I got a helmet that was SHARP rated 4 stars and I'm happy with it).

So you have to decide what you think is "safer."

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I originally was responding to this statement: "Currently have scorpion, but would like to upgrade to TOP of the line in safety performance." I've heard for years and years that Shoei and Arai make the best helmets but are they 'the best for safety'? 

I agree that the top tier helmet makers do put nice features in their helmets but I'm focused only on safety here and so far I only see a blanket statement about less expensive helmets which may hold some truth but which cheap helmet companies does that blanket statement pertain to? I would like to see some solid evidence that top tier helmets make your head safer. 

This is the point of the safety standards. Helmet not rated for your desired safety rating? - then look elsewhere.

I just got back from my Yamaha dealership and while I was there I talked to one of our members, yamharider95, that works there. He is knowledgeable about helmet ratings and he explained the types and differences in the ratings. Something I probably should've been aware of but wasn't. All I knew of were the Snell and DOT ratings and all three of the helmets I used as examples were only DOT cetified so there's that. So, a big thanks to yamharider95 and i2837856393 for helping me and not making me feel stupid. You two are awesome!

Beemer

• Premium Member

*thumbs up*
I figured I'd keep writing and end up making it a thread for the newbs section (since it would get lost in here).

bmwpowere36m3

I believe there are three standards today: DOT, Snell and ECE... Regardless, any standard is just an arbitrary "minimum". No helmet will protect your head from every conceivable incident. However safety technology moves forward. The big thing now is preventing rotational injuries, 6D pioneered it in MX helmets and now Bell is offering MIPS (motorcycling, cycling, snow, etc...). Read more: here  I don't believe effects of rotation are currently tested with any of the aforementioned standards.

Cost doesn't necessarily equate to safety, as even cheaper helmets can meet DOT standards. However, not many cheap helmets meet Shell and/or ECE ratings. Maybe DOT standards are too low and should be higher...

Premium helmets offer: lighter/premium shell materials (carbon/glass/composite vs. poly), increased number of shell sizes (shell for each head size vs. three for 5+ head sizes), dual-density EPS liners, interior liner material/comfort/customization, aerodynamics, noise, visor quality and optics, etc...

Any helmet is better than none... even inexpensive helmets can meet one, both or all of the current standards. Whether you want to spend more money on a premium helmet is up to you. I can't say whether they'll protect you any better than a bare-bones DOT helmet (no hard data that I know of).  However a helmet needs to be worn to be useful and thus it should be as comfortable as possible (so you wear it). I prefer Shoei helmets as they fit me well, quality is great and I have no regrets spending $400-500 every 5+ yrs on them.

The only helmet I've crashed in, regularly :P , is my "cheap" AFX dual-sport helmet when trail-riding.  I had one incident in which I believe I suffered a slight concussion... but I can't say the helmet was at-fault or lacking.  I eventually upgraded to a Shoei, but I can't say i've had the same type of impact.

I believe there are three standards today: DOT, Snell and ECE... Regardless, any standard is just an arbitrary "minimum". No helmet will protect your head from every conceivable incident. However safety technology moves forward. The big thing now is preventing rotational injuries, 6D pioneered it in MX helmets and now Bell is offering MIPS (motorcycling, cycling, snow, etc...). Read more: here  I don't believe effects of rotation are currently tested with any of the aforementioned standards. 
Cost doesn't necessarily equate to safety, as even cheaper helmets can meet DOT standards. However, not many cheap helmets meet Shell and/or ECE ratings. Maybe DOT standards are too low and should be higher...

Premium helmets offer: lighter/premium shell materials (carbon/glass/composite vs. poly), increased number of shell sizes (shell for each head size vs. three for 5+ head sizes), dual-density EPS liners, interior liner material/comfort/customization, aerodynamics, noise, visor quality and optics, etc...

Any helmet is better than none... even inexpensive helmets can meet one, both or all of the current standards. Whether you want to spend more money on a premium helmet is up to you. I can't say whether they'll protect you any better than a bare-bones DOT helmet (no hard data that I know of).  However a helmet needs to be worn to be useful and thus it should be as comfortable as possible (so you wear it). I prefer Shoei helmets as they fit me well, quality is great and I have no regrets spending $400-500 every 5+ yrs on them.

The only helmet I've crashed in, regularly :P , is my "cheap" AFX dual-sport helmet when trail-riding.  I had one incident in which I believe I suffered a slight concussion... but I can't say the helmet was at-fault or lacking.  I eventually upgraded to a Shoei, but I can't say i've had the same type of impact.

Last paragraph sums it up. Therefore buy a helmet that you can afford and just ride your bike. Don't worry about "what is your head worth" comments. If anything it's marketing bs that you are not getting paid for :)

Greatness

Something that came to mind (hype buster) while reading the new posts on this ... one helmet may (or may not) be better at preventing skull fractures but there is no helmet that can prevent a DAI type brain injury. A DAI is when there is no skull fracture but the brain slams into the skull causing a coma or death. So even if the best helmet's structural integrity isn't compromised in an accident it doesn't mean you still can't have a brain injury. Just some food for thought.

Beemer

Nolan N104 for the street. Got it barely used on a steal of a deal and love it. I use those cheap AFX crossover helmets when enduro riding and have always had good luck with em.

Thank you gents for the knowledge. Mostly reinforced what I already knew, and reminded me a lot of what I had forgotten. The sharp ratings probably being the biggest I had forgotten.

Just ordered a Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet myself as a first-time rider. Will post some pics/thoughts when it arrives if anyone is interested.

mounties2591

I may have a helmet problem.... I have ano icon thriller, shark raw, and fly paradigm. I use the Icon the most and love it. All three are great though!

Just upgraded from Scorpion EXO-R2000 (small) to a Shoei Qwest (medium). Feels like my head is inside fluffy clouds!

ZgNhBtF.jpg

Also ordered a motley tube which is amazing both in cold and warm weather.

Not sure if the $10 tube or the $350 helmet was the better purchase  :D

• Premium Member

I run a matte black Shoei RF-1200 with the Sena SMH10R system installed in it. The Sena fits perfect, love this helmet. Quiet, comfortable and looks awesome.

I also still have my first helmet an Icon Airmada Salient which is nice just not as high quality as the Shoei. Flows a ton of air through it though. I also have a Sena in there for my gf but it doesn't fit as well in here as it does in the Shoei.

Recently I picked up an Arai RX-Q for the track. Initial impression was that it is LIGHT and extremely comfortable but haven't ridden with it yet. I'm excited to give this one a try very soon.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

I may have a helmet problem.... I have ano icon thriller, shark raw, and fly paradigm. I use the Icon the most and love it. All three are great though!
Shoei GT-Air, Schuberth S2 Sport Elite, Arai Defiant Pro-Cruise, Shark Vision 2 Inko.  My problem is worse :( 
I'm head over heels for the Arai Defiant, and that's pretty much what I wear all the time now.

I like the Shoei in 2nd place.  It cuts through the air the best of the bunch, but it creates an annoying whistling noise at speed which gradually drives me insane.

I'm still testing out the Schuberth, and it seems like a great helmet, but it's better for cold weather riding.  It's quiet, but the downside is it lets almost no air in, so it's rough to wear in hot weather.  I think it may end up tied with, or slightly ahead of, the Shoei.

The Shark is a great helmet, but it's a smidge loud and has an enormous sail effect at speed and in wind.

Shoei GT-Air, Schuberth S2 Sport Elite, Arai Defiant Pro-Cruise, Shark Vision 2 Inko.  My problem is worse :( 
I'm head over heels for the Arai Defiant, and that's pretty much what I wear all the time now.

I like the Shoei in 2nd place.  It cuts through the air the best of the bunch, but it creates an annoying whistling noise at speed which gradually drives me insane.

I'm still testing out the Schuberth, and it seems like a great helmet, but it's better for cold weather riding.  It's quiet, but the downside is it lets almost no air in, so it's rough to wear in hot weather.  I think it may end up tied with, or slightly ahead of, the Shoei.

The Shark is a great helmet, but it's a smidge loud and has an enormous sail effect at speed and in wind.

This is a helmet problem I am jealous of! That's about $2,000 in helmets! 

I was leaning towards the gt air as my next helmet, but am now looking at the Defiant pro cruise

Make sure you buy one size down on the Defiant if you opt to go in that direction. They run a size large (I'm normally medium and had to buy a small in the Defiant).

Also, I buy as much of my gear direct from Europe as I can.  It's generally a $100-300 savings per item over sites like Revzilla, even with shipping included.

Shoei Neotec
I like the internal flip visor and the air vents, the modular function is also nice.
I wasn't planning on spending so much on a helmet but it was the most comfortable one I could find and I got a discount through Costco.
051386c578bfa490d76c33da8ce90906.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use two helmets, the Icon Variant, usually on summer going to work, and no spend much time with it, and the Shoei NXR. I bought an Icon Airframe Carbon RR for my GF

NXR beats every single helmet i had, plus i bought the Transitions photocromatic visor and it's just glorious, just installed some vinyl on the side :P

qlomkA5.jpg

And me with the Icon P-)

17BbzrM.jpg

I wear a Scorpion EXO T510. I like that it has the internal flip-down sun visor, the KwikWick 2 liner is pretty nice, it has provisions for fitting speakers inside and the ventilation is good. It also has the airbags inside that you can pump up and get a nice snug fit. Noise is moderate, I wouldn't rate it as bad. Quieter with the vents closed obviously, but it's not cool enough around here for that yet.

Archived