The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

Think you should really look into getting a decent helm on closeout at Revzilla. Very well could save your life.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not letting me link in a you tube video on the app, will post it when I get into work. You can get a decent dot/ECE/Snell/sharp rated helmet for cheap

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMOAu4LFnE4]

If anyone uses a Sena or other communication device, the Schuberth are about the best Helmets in my opinion. I spend more than others on the one thing protecting my brain, my helmets, and I'm ordering one of these with a dirtbike style visor, keeps sun out. I like yellow fluorescent helmets as they get me seen by cars.
Schuberth E1 Guardian Helmet is 20% off at Revzilla, which means it's now $679.00, but usually $849.00

My Bell Helmet is fluorescent yellow and Black and when I started wearing it, cars stopped pulling out in front of me. Seriously. When I wore my Black Scorpion for a day, a lady almost "bought my home" and I havent worn a dark helmet since.

Yellow helmets work for me, being alive is more important than looking cool

• 2 weeks later...

You know,
For the city, a $30-$60 DOT certified helmet will do just fine with speeds under 40MPH.

Once you hit the highways and interstates, and especially at speeds over 100MPH, these cheap helmets disintegrate.
I'm thinking of getting a safer helmet for the highways; with Snell or other high safety certification.

I'd like one that fits (color-wise) with my Black and Blue FZ-07,
One with a dual vizor, like a clear visor, and a drop down sun visor on the inside.
No modular helmet.

Not too heavy, but neither too weak (one you can throw a hammer at, and only scrape the paint).
So should be at least 2010 Snell certified, or 2015.

If possible, under $250.

Still looking...

I might actually visit my motorcycle store at some point.

A 3LBS helmet feels amazing in town, but for the highways, I think I wouldn't want anything more than 5LBS.

You know, For the city, a $30-$60 DOT certified helmet will do just fine with speeds under 40MPH.

Once you hit the highways and interstates, and especially at speeds over 100MPH, these cheap helmets disintegrate.
I'm thinking of getting a safer helmet for the highways; with Snell or other high safety certification.

I'd like one that fits (color-wise) with my Black and Blue FZ-07,
One with a dual vizor, like a clear visor, and a drop down sun visor on the inside.
No modular helmet.

Not too heavy, but neither too weak (one you can throw a hammer at, and only scrape the paint).
So should be at least 2010 Snell certified, or 2015.

If possible, under $250.

Still looking...

I might actually visit my motorcycle store at some point.

A 3LBS helmet feels amazing in town, but for the highways, I think I wouldn't want anything more than 5LBS.

Check out this post. It has links to 100% clodeout pricing at Revzilla and Cycle Gear. Ill add more retailers soon, but there are helmet deal galore. http://fz07.org/thread/7555/closeout-pricing-helmets-jackets-thread

• 2 weeks later...
61s_Pi_R1_RAFL_SL1500.jpg
Happy to see you move to a DOT certified helm.
lol, I wonder where you can find non-dot certified? All my helmets are dot certified.
However, I wished this one was Shnell certified...

I just wanted a helmet that fit my bike :D

• Premium Member
New new 
0kEZ6EP.png
Is the Signet-X?  How's the noise compare to what you've ridden before? 

Why can't left turners see us?

HJC RPHA 10 - Pretty happy with it, just wish it was slightly more oval (I'm beginning to think I have a weird shaped head)
HJC_RPHA10_Solid_Matte_Black.jpg

• Premium Member
New new 
0kEZ6EP.png

It is! Obviously still have wind noise and use ear plugs on the highway, but it is very quiet compared to the pos sedici I have that was to hold me over until my RF1200 was replaced. (This was the replacement) 
this is a great helmet, but has a toooooon of lift about 100. 

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

8ebc1076205559f12dfc5a10cf7d4048.jpg
Is it true what they say about the sun visor or will it jerk your head back at speed if you tilt your head too much the wrong way? I've used helmets in the past with sun visors like that and I really liked how they kept the sun out of your eyes but they weren't designed to prevent neck snap. Seems a little pricey as well but I would buy one just for the visor. I can't stand direct sunlight in the eyes. 

Beemer

I rode today. Backroad blasts towards NC. No neck snap or anything at all. Plus is going home, heading towards the sun, awesome coverage like a baseball cap. Hands down, favorite helmet. As always, to each his own.
IMG_7150.jpg

• Premium Member
New new 
0kEZ6EP.png

Ended up returning this helmet as I couldn't get it to fit right -- even though all the "specs" were correct for me.  I tried on a small at a local shop (I bought a medium) and it still didn't fit properly.

Picked up a Shoei X-14:

rNLaQ6T.jpg
Smkm6gM.jpg

The guy at my local shop said, "There are two types of high end helmet buyers -- Shoei and Arai.  If one manufacturer fits you, the other will definitely not."

Apparently I am a Shoei guy, because my RF1200 was amazing on my head and all the Arai's I tried on there, while comfortable, did not fit properly.  This new X14 is awesome!  Feels great and I have no lift, can even do head checks at 100+.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

I rode today. Backroad blasts towards NC. No neck snap or anything at all. Plus is going home, heading towards the sun, awesome coverage like a baseball cap. Hands down, favorite helmet. As always, to each his own. IMG_7150.jpg

Damn straight, to each his own and since today is my B-day (it's not really but to each his own) I think I'll treat myself and buy one of these. Thanks, bro! (sic Duke :o

Beemer

tejascruzer

Shoei RF-1200 Dominance. Just got back into riding and did not have any gear. Decided to visit the local dealer to helmet shop, just before buying my FZ, and of course the $700 Shoei GT-Air had the best fit but was way out of my price range. Tried the local Cycle Gear and found the RF-1200, which is nearly identical to the GT-Air except for the vent layout and no retractable sun shade. Cycle Gear's $589 price was still more than I wanted to spend so I shopped online and found it for $389.  Perfect fit for my dome, pretty light, good air flow, and quiet.  Shoei's Pinlock visor system is amazingly fog proof so far and makes it super easy to swap out visors.

Shoei_RF_1200.jpg

I rode today. Backroad blasts towards NC. No neck snap or anything at all. Plus is going home, heading towards the sun, awesome coverage like a baseball cap. Hands down, favorite helmet. As always, to each his own. IMG_7150.jpg

Damn straight, to each his own and since today is my B-day (it's not really but to each his own) I think I'll treat myself and buy one of these. Thanks, bro! (sic Duke :o )

You're welcome, Beemer. Happy Birthday.

Archived