The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

I have the HJC CL16 machine, in the gray color. It was super cheap for being snell and dot, so I got it because I was having trouble finding another decent styled snell approved helmet for under 200.
I was looking to get this as a 2nd helmet... It's currently on sale at motorcycle superstore.... how is it?  how's the wind noise on it?  thanks...

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

Bell Revolver baby!  Modular is a must in the heat of the desert, I especially love the push-button fighter jet type sun visor and magnetic chin strap holder.  The vents at top pull air through the vents at back.  Love this helmet.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0236_zpsb69c917a.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0237_zps2d96cbd0.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0238_zps02e6b045.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I have the HJC CL16 machine, in the gray color. It was super cheap for being snell and dot, so I got it because I was having trouble finding another decent styled snell approved helmet for under 200.
I was looking to get this as a 2nd helmet... It's currently on sale at motorcycle superstore.... how is it?  how's the wind noise on it?  thanks...
Well I got mine from motorcycle gear .com and it was only $69, so I jumped on that deal.  
As far as wind noise, I haven't had any other helmets to compare to.. but it doesn't seem terrible to me. There is wind noise, but not so much that you can't hear anything else. It's a little heavy though also, but you are getting what you pay for. As a second helmet, I would definitely recommend this to you, because of price, safety features, and the venting is awesome too. Also love the way the face shields come off and are super easy to put right back in.

Please take the time to research helmets and their safety ratings. A $179 Bell helmet that is DOT and SNELL certified will protect you just as well as a Shoei X12 or Arai Corsair. This has been well proven numerous times.  
The more you spend doesn't give you more protection, it gives you a nicer helmet. As in lighter weight, better ventilation, softer liner material, nicer features, etc.
How many Moto GP riders wear Bell though? ;)
That's call "sponsor". All it matters is that the helmet is DOT/Snell approved and that the sponsor pays it's due. I guess, Bell is not interested to sponsor GP riders. 

• Global Moderator

I see Bell helmets in Formula 1. I know it is about sponsorship, but they must make some pretty good ones if some of those guys are using them.

I see Bell helmets in Formula 1. I know it is about sponsorship, but they must make some pretty good ones if some of those guys are using them.
I bet you the GP and Formula 1 helmets are made to the rider's head imprint, with AC and fans incorporated in the helmet :D. I would be curious about their prices :o, I want one.  

I just bought a Shoei GT Air with a 20% discount with a helmet trade in. Nice kit.
I still don't understand pin lock.
It's a thin inner membrane applied to the inside of your shield.  It's an insulating membrane and eliminates fog.  It works, had one on my Nolan helmet 13 years ago.  My current ones don't have this but I think it can be added.

I just bought a Shoei GT Air with a 20% discount with a helmet trade in. Nice kit.
I still don't understand pin lock.
It's a thin inner membrane applied to the inside of your shield.  It's an insulating membrane and eliminates fog.  It works, had one on my Nolan helmet 13 years ago.  My current ones don't have this but I think it can be added.
I bought a Shoei GT-Air at the beginning of summer. The pinlock lens was included. I didn't install it. But i'll when the fall will arrive. The chin curtain is very efficient (way better than the one on the Shoei Qwest). But it would make the lens prone to fogging more easily. 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Shoei Qwest here. 

shoei_qwest_diverge_tc6_detail_1_600.jpg

I was originally looking at the RF-1100 for the apparently better venting, but the Qwest has a better shape for my head (a bit rounder). Also, I haven't had any problems in the GA summer with the Qwest venting.
Lucky you. Mine make a LOT of noise by the bottom of the helmet. And the venting is poor compared to my last helmets (Arai Astral-x and Vector). Bought it last fall at a 40% discount price. Bargain price but hated it. But i have to say that the review for the Qwest are positive. But for me, my old Shoei RF 1000, even RF-700 were better. Bought a new helmet at the beginning of summer. 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Global Moderator

I drove without a pinlock lens in my Shoei GT Air for about a week because it wasn't in the box and and they had to send it separately. I had the chin curtain installed. I can confirm that it fogs up easily when you are not moving. After installing the lens it does not fog up, no matter what. It is my first helmet with a pinlock system and I am amazed.

My dealer gave me the helmet in the bag with no box and no other contents.
So no fog lens, or silicone, or breath guard or stickers....:(
That was a mistake don't you think?
Btw I rode the bike at high speed this am and the aerodynamics of the GT Air are phenomenal.
My ears hurt though from the pads. I think they fold when I put the helmet on and don't go all the way back.
Any suggestions? Maybe torque the lid back and forth without the strap on?

My dealer gave me the helmet in the bag with no box and no other contents. So no fog lens, or silicone, or breath guard or stickers....:(
That was a mistake don't you think?
Btw I rode the bike at high speed this am and the aerodynamics of the GT Air are phenomenal.
My ears hurt though from the pads. I think they fold when I put the helmet on and don't go all the way back.
Any suggestions? Maybe torque the lid back and forth without the strap on?
Did the dealer gave you a demo helmet? The pinlock lens, breath guard, chin curtain, silicone, stickers are all included (at least in Canada) with this helmet. 
For the ears problem, just move a bit the helmet front and back. After a couple of weeks, i guess that you'll be allright.

Btw I was planning on an Arai Defiant but my local shop doesn't carry Arai.
Anybody do a comparo between Defiant and GT Air?
I have very little brand loyalty, maybe why I am unlikely to buy another hog!
My last lid was an Arai and I loved it.

I have a very long narrow head, and only a couple helmets in all of helmetdom are comfortable for more than a couple minutes.  One is the Arai Signet-Q; beautiful, and priced to impress.  I just replaced my 3/4 open face and goggles with an Icon Airmada, in the Rubatone finish.  It is a nice, long oval interior shape, with excellent ventilation.  It is a quiet helmet for having so many vents, and the aerodynamics are very good for use on a naked bike.  The interior is removable, and one of the new wicking materials, and very comfortable.  The matte black finish is somewhat rubbery, and doesn't smudge or show fingerprints nearly as much as conventional matte finishes.

And @ $190.00 from Revzilla with free shipping, it was much less painful an investment than the Arai Signet-Q @ $557.00.

I have a couple other Icon items, and they appear to be doing a pretty fair job of making useful riding gear. 

ICON_2012_fall_AirmadaRubatoneBlack_detail_1_600_zpsbb500905.jpg

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!

Just ordered a shoei RF-1200. Anyone want an icon variant ghost carbon with Sena smh10R installed? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

Arai Vector 2. You can kinda see it in my avatar. 

From my last helmet, which was all black, I decided to go more white than black.
Hoped to reflect as much heat as I can. And of course - coordinate. Haha. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

The Qwest is definitely loud at speed. After a couple of highway stints this weekend, I was ready to start wearing earplugs. Definitely a comfortable helmet, but the noise is a problem.

f7d1c4fe6c.jpg
I still had my helmet left over from my younger days.  Since buying the bike, I've been shamefully sporting my Rock Hard Hustler helmet. It was great when I was a college student, working at a moto parts store. Now I have to hide it in the helmet bag everywhere I go. I'm looking to get something a little more appropriate for my commute to work. The Bell Vortex that jrubicon posted looks like a good match. I may check it out. 

Archived