Guru

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rotate between:

Black AVG Stealth

Bell Vortex - Gray silver black

Hi Viz Tourist - which is hooked to bluethooth and camera

Best Helmet I have is a Shark ...super light weight comfortable but I had the visor system

Helmet I wished I never got rid of ...Suomy (loud) but light and comfortable 

Guest August BB

This is my avatar pic, enlarged.

ava2.jpg

Its a white Shark Raw.  I am using it for being light weight, and I seem to prefer it with the naked bike look, but have recently noticed it is not a good colder weather helmet so I might be picking something up for colder weather.

• Premium Member

I have a $99 HJC CS-R1 that I've had for several years. It's been a good one for the price. More comfortable on my gigantic head than most. I cant even get most Icon helmets started on my head hahahaha. I am looking at upgrading though. Mine is black with red/white flames that do not match my bike at all. Same with my red gloves.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

I prefer modular helmets because most helmets will not fit my head or jawline.

Today I picked up a Shoei Neotec it's very comfortable and has room for my glasses and fits me very well. It also has a visor which I need as well and even better it comes with a Pinlock to prevent fogging

This is my avatar pic, enlarged. 
ava2.jpg

Its a white Shark Raw.  I am using it for being light weight, and I seem to prefer it with the naked bike look, but have recently noticed it is not a good colder weather helmet so I might be picking something up for colder weather.

Get a facemask for cold weather to wear under the mask should help

Guest August BB

You know, I didn't think about that. I have an order for revzilla I'm putting in, I'll throw in a 20 dollar neck/facemask thingy and try that out. Thanks.

• Premium Member
You know, I didn't think about that. I have an order for revzilla I'm putting in, I'll throw in a 20 dollar neck/facemask thingy and try that out. Thanks.

Try the storm gear hannibal face mask. It's pretty nice I've had mine a few days and like it. Or the Icon highway hanky. Got both, like both.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
I'm having a really tough time settling on a new helmet. Maybe you guys can help. 
I have a mid range budget, not to exceed $400 and less is great. Features in order of importance to me are;

Stable at speed, not much turbulence or drag.

Reasonably quiet, I use ear plugs but still want at least a decent baseline for noise.

Removable or easily washable liner, otherwise the helmet irritates my skin.

Lightweight would be a nice bonus since I carry my helmet to and from the jobsite which can be a trek.

My list of candidates is a dozen helmets deep, most pushing beyond the budget. Any recommendations to help narrow it down would be appreciated. Thanks gents (and ladies).

Oh, and I'm coming from a HJC CL17.. which has been good but is 4 years old and showing its age.

Ended up going with the Icon Airframe volare hi viz yellow. Really like the fit and function. First ride tomorrow morning.

Do not like the face shield removal and installation, but I'll live with it. Must be careful, it's delicate. No bueno, but at the price, es no mal tambien.

Everything went braap.

I'm having a really tough time settling on a new helmet. Maybe you guys can help. 
I have a mid range budget, not to exceed $400 and less is great. Features in order of importance to me are;

Stable at speed, not much turbulence or drag.

Reasonably quiet, I use ear plugs but still want at least a decent baseline for noise.

Removable or easily washable liner, otherwise the helmet irritates my skin.

Lightweight would be a nice bonus since I carry my helmet to and from the jobsite which can be a trek.

My list of candidates is a dozen helmets deep, most pushing beyond the budget. Any recommendations to help narrow it down would be appreciated. Thanks gents (and ladies).

Oh, and I'm coming from a HJC CL17.. which has been good but is 4 years old and showing its age.
Ended up going with the Icon Airframe volare hi viz yellow. Really like the fit and function. First ride tomorrow morning.

Do not like the face shield removal and installation, but I'll live with it. Must be careful, it's delicate. No bueno, but at the price, es no mal tambien.
The helmet you got is still way easter to swap the shield the variant is a grant pain in the ass to change the shield

• Premium Member

It doesn't look easy to swap. My woes were slightly allayed when I found the pivot plates for ten bucks. At least I can replace the weakest part of the helmet when I need to.

Very happy with it overall. The paint job is pretty premium too.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

First ride this morning. 45 miles on a very brisk.. slightly damp morning.

This helmet is suhweet!

It's super loud.. I forgot to put ear plugs in and had to take it off when refueling. The massive air ports on the top sound like jet turbines. I don't think a quiet and comfortable (heat wise) helmet exists anyway.

Very stable! I was cruising at 80 before I realized it. My old helmet quickly let me know once I was above 65 mph.

I'll post a more in depth account after a few days. Love the helmet though and it's so bright Ray Charles would compliment the color.

Everything went braap.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Arai RX-Q (diamond white color) with Arai Pro shade system, which includes the Arai clear MAX vision visor (takes pinlock inserts) and the retractable sun-visor.  The sun-visor is mounted outside on top of the clear MAX vision visor.  If the sun-visor was mounted inside the helmet, like other brands, Arai would not get the Snell rating for this helmet (Arai's reason for outside mount).  I also have a clear pinlock insert attached to the visor, which eliminates any fogging on the face shield.  The sun-visor works great and can be pushed up when not needed.  In the locked up position, it does not create any wind noise.  See the Arai or Revzilla websites for more details about this helmet and face shield options. IMG_0857a_zpsef64f9d4.jpg

Guest August BB

[HASH]shark [HASH]vancore

Woo, got my Shark upgrade today from the Shark Raw to the Shark Vancore.

So ever since I got the Shark Raw I pondered why they don't make a full face version and just recently I found out they do!  But only outside of America, so I had to import it.

As much as I like the futuristic look of the Vancore, I still must admit I prefer the old-school pilot look of the Raw, but the full face helmet safety is the main reason I decided to get the Vancore.

The helmet is much tighter than the Raw for the same size, but that is a no brainer because its going from a open face 2/3 to a full face, of course its going to be tighter.  Less flex and such.  The new slide open vent is much appreciated.  You wonder why they didn't make it that way the first time with the Raw.  I still love the goggles which are the same but you can tell it is a newer build and quality compared to the Raw (or perhaps I'm just imagining it and my goggles are that worn out??- but I can tell you for sure the new foam backing that presses on your face is a newer build/quality than the Raw).

My only beef with it as of now is the new quick ratchet chin strap.  I prefer the old school tried and true D-ring, but the ratchet thing works and it does speed things up, so oh well.

Its been raining so I can't test it anytime soon, maybe in 4-5 days it should be sunny while I'm free.

Top: Raw.  Bottom: Vancore.

vancore2.jpg

@abb Would you still recommend the Raw even though it doesn't have chin protection? I way like the look of the Raw better and I already have a full fave I could use if I wanted. I also can't justify spending all that to import it. Thanks

Guest August BB

@panzer716, I honestly love my Raw for many reasons. In person, it does look better than the Vancore. Looks much more wicked and such. The Raw is extremely light weight and its very comfortable. Having recently used a Scorpion and Xpeed on a ride, the difference in comfort between a fullface and the Raw is huge. I love flipping up the goggles and it opens the entire face up, basically like a modular helmet.

The thing I will say is the main 2 immediate complaints are the wind noise (not too much a big deal if you wear earplugs I guess) and the wind. Wind seeps in.  The difference in noise and wind coming in compared to fullfaced helmets with visors is a huge thing to consider.

Now for some complaints that aren't readily apparent. The goggles. You'll most likely have to replace that strap in 1-2 years IF you do what I do and keep moving the goggles up above the helmet. Basically stretching the strap bands. Also the goggles only comes tinted out of the box, so you have 2 options for night riding. One is buy clear lens which is 18 bucks (revzilla has em) or buy a separate goggle AND the clear lens which sets you back about 70 bucks. Why I say this is because its a huge pain inserting the lens in the goggle. The top portion is easy enough, its the nose piece portion that is a huge bitch. Plus you end up with a insanely smudged lens which you then have to clean inside and outside. THE worst thing I can say for the helmet is imagining someone constantly switching out the lens from tinted to clear just for night riding. I hope no one is doing this, and 70 bucks is money well-spent if you are planning to do night riding and keeping the clear goggle set in your backpack (which is what I am now doing- I replaced my original shark raw goggle with clear lens, and have the vancore tinted, and I can swap goggles between helmets if need be which is very easy to do.

I'm still going to be using my Raw, specifically on the hot days of summer, I love that helmet so long as I never ever have to change out the goggle lens for it ever again.

I'm still going to be using my Raw, specifically on the hot days of summer, I love that helmet so long as I never ever have to change out the goggle lens for it ever again.
This was exactly what I was going to use it for. Summer days. I knew it flows really well and I was looking for a summer helmet that wouldn't roast my head in the sweltering heat. This is exactly what I was looking to hear. Thank you!

• Premium Member

I grabbed an HJC CL-17 when I bought my bike. I'm pretty happy with it

Archived