The MT-07 Forum

So, what helmet do you guys wear?

Guru

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoei all the way for me. I use a light smoke tinted visor from Shoei as well, day or night. This is the Qwest "passage". First time i saw matte colors aside from black used, had to have the red one.

HelmetUrban.jpg

fooschnickens

Been wearing a Shoei GT-Air for about a couple years now. Really like it both in fit and function. Only gripe I've had with it is the integrated sun visor isn't quite as dark as I'd like. Hoping they'll release a darker version eventually.

• Premium Member
Been wearing a Shoei GT-Air for about a couple years now. Really like it both in fit and function. Only gripe I've had with it is the integrated sun visor isn't quite as dark as I'd like. Hoping they'll release a darker version eventually.
@fooschnickens:  what's the airflow on that one like?  I was looking at it or the Neotec for super hot days here in Phoenix.  I currently use a Nolan N104, but I would love something with more airflow, even if it is louder (foamy earplugs are cheap).

fooschnickens
@fooschnickens:  what's the airflow on that one like?  I was looking at it or the Neotec for super hot days here in Phoenix.  I currently use a Nolan N104, but I would love something with more airflow, even if it is louder (foamy earplugs are cheap).
It's pretty good for me, but I've never really had any issues with overheating no matter what helmet I've worn. It's definitely the most stable I've worn and this is clearly evident as soon as I turn my head to the side to check my blind spot. they designed it to be VERY low drag when facing forward and it shows. Wind noise isn't that bad, either, thanks to the design of it, I can still just *barely* hear the stock exhaust above it at city speeds. I'm anxious to see how well the Sena 20S drowns everything out, it'll be getting in tomorrow. 

• Premium Member

I was looking for a full face helmet with great airflow to replace my bulky, noisy, uncomfortable Nolan N104 modular. Was really digging the Shoei RF-1200, and was ready to buy one when I tried on the Arai Signet-Q. The fit, for my head shape was amazing -- no hotspots on my forehead at all. Generally when I take off a helmet I feel a bit of relief. When I take this off I don't notice anything -- it's like I wasn't ever wearing a helmet in the first place.

new%2Bhelmet.jpg

fooschnickens

Arai is great for people with oddly shaped noggins. There's usually always something in their lineup that will fit someone. Only reason I went with my Shoei over an Arai is the insane deal I got on it.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Was looking for a full face helmet with great airflow to replace my bulky, noisy, uncomfortable Nolan N104 modular. Was really digging the Shoei RF-1200, and was ready to buy one when I tried on the Arai Signet-Q. The fit, for my head shape was amazing -- no hotspots on my forehead at all. Generally when I take off a helmet I feel a bit of relief. When I take this off I don't notice anything -- it's like I wasn't ever wearing a helmet in the first place. 
Ordered a white one today -- should be in on Tuesday.  (Yes, white is boring, but it's cooler in the blistering Phoenix sun, and visible)

CHASER-V_Diamond-WHITE.jpgimg][img]
Nice helmet. I have the Arai RX-Q in diamond white, which is very comfortable for me.  I also have tha Max view vision visor with sun shield and clear pinlock insert. 

fooschnickens
Arai is great for people with oddly shaped noggins... 
I resemble that remark :)
Hey, didn't say nothin about what's in 'em :P 

• Premium Member

I got tired of the whistling noise from my Shoei RF1100 (my old RF900 was quieter), and thanks to the generous return policy of ZLA, decided to try a LaZer Kite Mustang full carbon. It came with a clear pinlock shield and lens, but I also bought a photo-chromatic shield, which has "Transitions" tech built in and changes from 80% light transmission to 20% in a very short time (tested it today, and it is impressive). So far I'm loving it. It fits perfect (I've got an oval shaped head). The helmet is pretty light (1420g for a MS, measured by me on a very accurate scale).
It is fairly quiet and the noise it does make is low frequency so doesn't annoy me. It is very stable at speed compared to my RF1100 (which wanted to lift off my head at speed).
So far... So good... The real question is if the ventilation is sufficient for summer heat. We'll see...

Why can't left turners see us?

I'll call her Betty W

I am currently rocking the HJC IS-MAX BT, matte black. Love the look but looking to upgrade later this summer to the Shark Raw, really did the look and reviews that helmet has received!

Arai is great for people with oddly shaped noggins... 
I resemble that remark :)
Heehee, me too.

But it's not that simple. The Signets (and most everything else Arai) are very oval in shape where the RX-Q fits my more roundish noggin like it was used as a model for the form. 

Btw, I can ride comfortably on the FZed with that RX-Q w/o my normal earplugs. Time will tell if that's still true after adding an MRA Double Bubble. Unless they're like barn doors, wind screens always add some wind noise. 

That Arai shape has the smoothest flow thru the air of any helmet I've ever owned. There just seems to be no drag whether my head is straight forward or turned to the side. Not feeling/noticing a helmet (yeah, yeah numb scull, lol) over hours of wear really cuts down on fatigue making a long ride that much more fun. 

I've got a Fly Trekker. It's a dual sport helmet. Initially I was (and still am) going to buy a DRZ400. My wife insisted I get the FZ07.

I'll get a street helmet eventually

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone imported a Euro helmet and had any trouble with the police (no DOT sticker)? I'm finding that some of the Euro retailers have the Euro spec version for ~$100 less than RevZilla and the like.

Archived