The MT-07 Forum

Paulie's FZ-07 SP: MotoGP Edition

pgeldz

• Premium Member

I be wont able to make it but, have fun brother! Take some pics.

alexrichardson

Paulie, whats your thoughts on your sprocket choice? good for the track? would u change it if you had the choice to re do it? pros cons ect
thanks

I'm posting on this thread, I noticed at new site on advrider lwtracer.com They are starting to make race pieces for FZ-07!! They are in souther ca.

• Like 1

I'm posting on this thread, I noticed at new site on advrider lwtracer.com They are starting to make race pieces for FZ-07!! They are in souther ca.
That is very exciting!  I had a good feeling even before I bought this FZ-07 that it was going to be the "next SV650."  Seems like that's becoming more of a reality by the day.  
  • Like 1

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Yes I spoke to him this am, they are selling jri shocks, remote res. double adjust shock. also a better quality piece that is used with the stock alum rocker.

• Premium Member
Paulie, whats your thoughts on your sprocket choice? good for the track? would u change it if you had the choice to re do it? pros cons ectthanks
Alex, 
When I originally did my conversion, I went stock front, +2 rear. It's impossible to have the rear axle centered in its adjustment range with a +2 rear so there are two options...

Stock chain length and have the rear tire closer to the center of the bike for a slightly shorter wheelbase, or add a link and have the wheelbase slightly longer.

I chose shorter wheelbase at first, but when I changed rear sprockets for the second time from aluminum to steel (same +2 fitment), I bought a new chain and tried the longer wheelbase.

The end result was very minimal as far as handling goes, so I just left it at the longer wheelbase., because my thinking was that it would be more stable on the track with less wheeling driving out of corners (in theory anyway).

Overall I'm happy with the +2 fitment.  On tracks with long straights, maybe stock gearing or +1 rear would be better, but I like the drive I get out of corners with the +2 rear.

I had aluminum at first, but I'd stick to steel for longevity, since I also use this bike for the street :)

On a different note, I'll be making a new thread about my MotoGP experience with Yamaha.  Look for that soon ...

:)

- Paulie

Sounds like a good call Paulie. Probably best to play to the bike's strengths rather than bolster the weak spots (and still not be able to hang with the supersports on the straights).

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator
I went with 520 each time :) 
- Paulie
your fist chain was stock size right?
108 so 12 links shorter than the standard D.I.D ERV3 chain.
the second chain is 109 links right?

Stock chain has 108 links. I wouldn't -1 on the small sprocket, it increases stress/wear on the chain. Better to +2 on the big sprocket, especially if you are doing the 520 conversion.  

edited to change my screw-up, thnx thomas

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Paulie, whats your thoughts on your sprocket choice? good for the track? would u change it if you had the choice to re do it? pros cons ect thanks
Alex, 
When I originally did my conversion, I went stock front, +2 rear. It's impossible to have the rear axle centered in its adjustment range with a +2 rear so there are two options...

Stock chain length and have the rear tire closer to the center of the bike for a slightly shorter wheelbase, or add a link and have the wheelbase slightly longer.

I chose shorter wheelbase at first, but when I changed rear sprockets for the second time from aluminum to steel (same +2 fitment), I bought a new chain and tried the longer wheelbase.

The end result was very minimal as far as handling goes, so I just left it at the longer wheelbase., because my thinking was that it would be more stable on the track with less wheeling driving out of corners (in theory anyway).

Overall I'm happy with the +2 fitment.  On tracks with long straights, maybe stock gearing or +1 rear would be better, but I like the drive I get out of corners with the +2 rear.

I had aluminum at first, but I'd stick to steel for longevity, since I also use this bike for the street :)

On a different note, I'll be making a new thread about my MotoGP experience with Yamaha.  Look for that soon ...

- Paulie

I'm thinking about -1 front and -1 rear. Smaller sprocket, less weight right?

Stock chain has 108 links. I wouldn't -1 on the small sprocket, it increases stress/wear on the chain. Better to +2 on the big sprocket, especially if you are doing the 520 conversion.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As promised, started a new thread for my MotoGP Indy experience. I'll do a full write up in that thread, but for now just put up a video capturing one of the most special moments of the weekend :)

Check it out here

- Paulie

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hey everyone!  My schedule has been hell lately, but I managed to have some fun on Labor Day...

Track day at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch!!!

[video src=https://youtu.be/Xu-e0RWFSfI]

- Paulie

• Like 4

• Global Moderator

Awesome vid dude...
looks like you were having a helluva lot of fun while the r6 was almost struggling to keep you off his ass in the corners

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Feels good to know that our naked can hold its own against a sport bike, at least in the corners. Nice riding, Paulie!

• Premium Member

Thanks guys!

It was great fun for sure. It was pretty crowded though, so instead of working on my lines and such, I spent more time trying to find clear track...

The last two sessions of each day were much less crowded, so I was able to push a lot harder and learned a lot.

There's no denying the R6 can WALK me in the straights, but I claw it all back under braking and cornering speed. After I passed him within that one lap of the video, I gaped him pretty good and he didn't pass me at all during the rest of the session.

I think I learned quite a lot at my previous track day at Laguna Seca, during another battle with a track-prepped R6. I'm feeling much more comfortable riding closer to other bikes at speed, which helps me stay close and look for ways to try and get around folks.

I think I want to add some sort of GPS lap timer with predictive lap times to my list of gear so I can see in real time if what I'm doing on the bike is actually making a difference on track.

My next track day is the 26th of Sep at Las Vegas Speedway. My very first full track day ever was at this location during the California Superbike School I attended last November riding their BMW S100RR.

I hope we run the say layout, because it would be cool to take video and run a side by side lap with me on the S1000RR vs me on the FZ-07 to see if I'm improving now that I have some track time under my belt.

- Paulie

• Global Moderator
Thanks guys! 
It was great fun for sure. It was pretty crowded though, so instead of working on my lines and such, I spent more time trying to find clear track...

The last two sessions of each day were much less crowded, so I was able to push a lot harder and learned a lot.

There's no denying the R6 can WALK me in the straights, but I claw it all back under braking and cornering speed. After I passed him within that one lap of the video, I gaped him pretty good and he didn't pass me at all during the rest of the session.

I think I learned quite a lot at my previous track day at Laguna Seca, during another battle with a track-prepped R6. I'm feeling much more comfortable riding closer to other bikes at speed, which helps me stay close and look for ways to try and get around folks.

I think I want to add some sort of GPS lap timer with predictive lap times to my list of gear so I can see in real time if what I'm doing on the bike is actually making a difference on track.

My next track day is the 26th of Sep at Las Vegas Speedway. My very first full track day ever was at this location during the California Superbike School I attended last November riding their BMW S100RR.

I hope we run the say layout, because it would be cool to take video and run a side by side lap with me on the S1000RR vs me on the FZ-07 to see if I'm improving now that I have some track time under my belt.

- Paulie

damn... if only it was the next weekend.
im taking the fz up to vegas for a weekend trip to see some family...
would be awesome to see an fz stomping the track

That's awesome and GREAT riding ... Can't wait to show my son. We go riding together. I have the FZ and he has an R6 ;) We don't quite ride like that though. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Got a chance to do a track day right in my backyard!!!

WERA hosted races this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and my local shop, Racers Edge, partnered up with them to do a track day beforehand.

Also got a chance to test out some new tech in the form of a GPS lap timer and it worked wonders :)

rZwVrDzm.jpg

[video src=https://youtu.be/eENXFHe57so]

- Paulie

Are you able to run GP shift? For any extended use on a track, you gotta be able to change that idle speed to like 2500 or more. I bump my SV to 3K idle and it makes things easier on down shifts entering corners.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Global Moderator

you really need to focus on those apexes... :P
missed almost all of em.... and what was with that slowpoke holding you up at the end??
that probably cost you 10 sec right there

• Premium Member
Are you able to run GP shift? For any extended use on a track, you gotta be able to change that idle speed to like 2500 or more. I bump my SV to 3K idle and it makes things easier on down shifts entering corners.

That's a great idea! I thought about researching a slipper clutch, but then I figured it'd be best to learn rev matching the analogue way, lol.

Bumping the idle up sounds like a good inbetween :)

you really need to focus on those apexes... :P missed almost all of em.... and what was with that slowpoke holding you up at the end??
that probably cost you 10 sec right there

Ha! I'm trying, I'm trying! ;)

Danged nice Paulie!

Thank you Sir! Still learning every time I go out...but I feel I'm progressing :)

- Paulie