The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ-0MBIE Apocalype photo log!

zombiphone

• Global Moderator

What about the pr4 trail model?
Its made for adventure/trail bikes that see about 90% street

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PR4 trail is what I have on mt tr650 husky strada. I would say 98% street. They are the same tread as the other two versions of the PR4.

" But with a 180 rear, I can mooch off the take-offs from all my friends who race 600s!" Good point except that is a lot of unnecessary weight for 70HP to spin up. The bike really needs a 160 but it can't go on the ridiculously oversize rim. I raced the ER6N for a short time on 160 slicks and I weighs way more than the MT. It was definitely enough tyre. Certainly wasn't lighting it up on exits for a bike with the same HP. My opinion is profile is more important and a size or two though and the 180 is a 55. Fine on a car not as convinced on a bike.
As I have said elsewhere , the BMW FD800R ( 90HP) came std with a 180/55. Always hated it. Changed to a 170/60 and instant better balance. I think the 180/55 works better if you have enough power to power slide it from a more upright position.
Dirt tyres are better a bit thinner to get bite by sinking a bit into the surface. ( Isn't that a loverly sentence)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Does the bike get light at the front with all of those gear in the back? I'm torn between getting a sports touring bike or just rigging the fz07. My only problem is the front feels wobbly at high speeds, a light front end doesn't help.

Odd. I've never noticed any problems with front end wobble, personally, be it at speed, or even when I took a passenger (Who was a dude), so I couldn't really say. Being 130 pounds, myself, all this luggage combined probably still has the total load weighing in at less than your average American man, so I have yet to notice any detrimental affects on the handling. But I'm also a conservative and safety conscious rider on the street, so your mileage may vary.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Premium Member

Dude (I know you're not a dude, I just like saying that) -- all that protection and you still don't have a radiator guard? A pebble could ruin your day. I'd hate to see that.

Not only am I from socal, born and raised, but I'm from the Valley, born and raised. Dude is 100% fluid and gender neutral in normal usage, so that's totally acceptable, haha :P

I'm gonna be honest- a radiator guard didn't even cross my mind at any point. Those aren't too detrimental to the airflow? Looks like something I can probably DIY on the cheap. Hmmm

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Premium Member
Not only am I from socal, born and raised, but I'm from the Valley, born and raised. Dude is 100% fluid and gender neutral in normal usage, so that's totally acceptable, haha :P 
I'm gonna be honest- a radiator guard didn't even cross my mind at any point. Those aren't too detrimental to the airflow? Looks like something I can probably DIY on the cheap. Hmmm
No -- not at all.  I have the R&G one and it works like a charm, and I live in the AZ desert.

• Premium Member

With the fab skills you've showcased you could definitely craft one up for cheap. There might even be a thread lurking in the forums from someone else who did the job --> http://www.fz07.org/thread/2758/cheap-radiator-guard-screen-protector

I agree on the radiator guard. One of the first things I do but always make my own. Easy on the MT as you can bolt it to the existing plastic "pretty bit attachments. I usually use Auto mesh that is sold in sheets of expanded Al. One thing I have found though is it cracks at the mounts very easily so I try and use silastic and/or rubber where it touches it's frame.
The problem with moving weight back is the efffect on the PENDULUM AXIS. ie. Weight closer to the axis makes the bike more stable, furthur away makes it less stable. The axis : Take a line drawn through the steerer tube ( the one used for caster angle). The pendulum axis is a line at right angles to that that passes through the contact point of the rear tyre. It is fundamental to the handling of caster steering 2 inline wheel vehicles. It is why adding weight furthur back is problematic.
BTW I use a similar bag on the back for touring . I use a canoe waterproof roll sealing bag. Works a beauty.
Just a thought . You could dump the pillion seat and make a mount for the fuel to lie flat and still put the bag on top. It might protect the fuel a bit better as well. I have considered it but haven't pursued it yet.

• Premium Member
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bFsqk84frI]  

With the fab skills you've showcased you could definitely craft one up for cheap. There might even be a thread lurking in the forums from someone else who did the job --> http://www.fz07.org/thread/2758/cheap-radiator-guard-screen-protector 

This is awesome- Thank you!!! And that looks way less obnoxious (And less likely to result in multiple wire mesh stab wounds) than building a grill, haha. I'll see if I can find the materials after work today. I just wish my powder coating oven was bigger so I could do it proper, but I'll see if I can find some blurple paint, too. This will make a great valentine's gift for my one true love :P 
Great suggestion, guys! I would have totally neglected this bit of protection and probably ended up on the road with a whole in my radiator, crying into my spot device otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to turn my FZ into a hybrid street and canyon carver during work months and more of a tourer/ camping slight adventure bike in free time and I was curious how much your gas mileage was affected by the side cases? I was looking at options and completely missed this post when searching through here somehow and you have one of the cases I was looking at getting!

Great job on the bike so far! Look forward to seeing any progress you attempt pass the already awesome setup.

I am going to turn my FZ into a hybrid street and canyon carver during work months and more of a tourer/ camping slight adventure bike in free time and I was curious how much your gas mileage was affected by the side cases? I was looking at options and completely missed this post when searching through here somehow and you have one of the cases I was looking at getting! 
Great job on the bike so far! Look forward to seeing any progress you attempt pass the already awesome setup.
It did definitely affect it a little bit, but I'm still typically averaging around the high 50s/low 60s per gallon. Before putting on the cases, I was getting more like mid with the occasional high 60s. The function outweighs the loss of mileage for me, though. Especially since they're 2 seconds to remove if I ever want to go back. The cases are my favorite mod by far, no question.  
And awesome! I'd love to see your take on a camper bike once you build it :)

Oh right- and as for this project, minor updates that aren't really done yet so this thread doesn't get bumped without SOME eye candy-

I'm leaving on my trip in just 2 more weeks (Current route here but it's very likely to change on the fly for weather or whatever else pops up: http://mapq.st/1TMPREf Departure date currently set as March 12th). I just ordered a gps, which I'll figure out how to mount once it gets here, and I still need to find an accessory plug that works for this bike's connector. I DID ghetto rig a radiator guard (Super cheap and easy) and pick up a set of 705s, so I'll let you guys know how it is mounting and riding on the 170 rear once I mount those too:

noname.jpeg

Otherwise though, just some shameless ride pictures just to keep this post interesting- Did a long test of the seat and put a good 360 mile day down a couple weeks ago, riding up to Lake Isabella in Kern County to see that some of california ISN'T dead and brown:

12733581_10207226964170517_9169257343871736026_n.jpg?oh=90b25aaf9a8683d827c4dda4caa5d33f&oe=574F23FA
Supposedly there's a hot springs around there somewhere, but I didn't find it T_T

Then also did a camping test to my favorite place (the race track) just to hang out with my racing family one more time before I left for CVMA round 5 this past weekend (It's really weird to not race while at the track though):

12814458_10207328871718142_3052087074740937454_n.jpg?oh=c94c09170eb544a2264cdffcf7b1f4e8&oe=57658361

Aside from some minor camping equipment I still want to pick up, I think I'm basically set! Nervous and excited!

Wahoo. Let us know how the tyres go as well. An alternative to MT60's would be handy.

• Premium Member

I was at CVMA Thursday for a private track day, and stayed until Friday morning. Would have loved to have seen your bike in person :)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
phicurious86

That trip looks awesome. If you stop for food in Phoenix some place, let us know. Buy you a beer. There's a pretty great hot dog and beer place not far off the 10. Huss brewery is also right off the 10, but I don't think they serve food. 

• Global Moderator
That trip looks awesome. If you stop for food in Phoenix some place, let us know. Buy you a beer. There's a pretty great hot dog and beer place not far off the 10. Huss brewery is also right off the 10, but I don't think they serve food. 
@zombiephone i'll second this
though ill leave the food choices p to phi, he seems to know the good stuff

Always good to meet new people... and now that i can actually see the route

You arent too far from my old stomping grounds in manhattan beach

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

That is some trip! Looking forward to your updates. Be safe out there and don't try for those extra miles if your tired.

I was at CVMA Thursday for a private track day, and stayed until Friday morning. Would have loved to have seen your bike in person :) 
- Paulie
Drat, I didn't get in til Saturday morning. I haven't done very many regular trackdays since getting my racing license about four years ago (Damn, time flies fast), but I'm sure I'll encounter you one of these days, haha! Although, I don't plan to make a habit of being at the track and just watching my friends getting to go hard in the paint from the sidelines :P 
Maybe I can catch a socal street ride before I head out for a while if your FZ is also still street legal :)

@zombiephone i'll second this though ill leave the food choices p to phi, he seems to know the good stuff

This would be awesome on both accounts! I never get tired of meeting more motorcycle people, and even better if you guys know some good local places, because I'm going to be making it up as I go. I was already planning to stop in tucson since I have some racer buddies who live there, but I'll try to work in Phoenix too either on the way there or the way back. I'll pm you guys and see if you're around when I'm in the area :D 
And yep, I live in the slightly less expensive part of Redondo. Lovely weather, but a traffic island that's impossible to escape most hours of the day, haha

• Global Moderator

@zombiephone i'll second this though ill leave the food choices p to phi, he seems to know the good stuff

This would be awesome on both accounts! I never get tired of meeting more motorcycle people, and even better if you guys know some good local places, because I'm going to be making it up as I go. I was already planning to stop in tucson since I have some racer buddies who live there, but I'll try to work in Phoenix too either on the way there or the way back. I'll pm you guys and see if you're around when I'm in the area :D 
And yep, I live in the slightly less expensive part of Redondo. Lovely weather, but a traffic island that's impossible to escape most hours of the day, haha

Phoenix isnt anything more than an hour or two(depending on how fast you wanna go) ride north of tuscon

I didn't realize it was so close- That's not bad at all. I'll work on tweaking my route a bit to make it work right now. Yay! This is gonna be a blast :D

Just looked at the map. The Great Fizzer07 Tour de Sud.

• Premium Member

Maybe I can catch a socal street ride before I head out for a while if your FZ is also still street legal :)

Yeah, my bike is still street legal :) I'm still struggling with either making it a full blown track bike, or just get something else dedicated for the track and use the FZ as a street-only bike - I hate having to tape up all my lights, etc.

Having said that, my buddy and I do plan to take a trip to So Cal just to ride your awesome roads for the weekend...when we do, I'll post up and see if we can maybe get a group ride going :)

- Paulie

Archived