The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ-0MBIE Apocalype photo log!

zombiphone

• Global Moderator
Maybe I can catch a socal street ride before I head out for a while if your FZ is also still street legal :)
Yeah, my bike is still street legal :) I'm still struggling with either making it a full blown track bike, or just get something else dedicated for the track and use the FZ as a street-only bike - I hate having to tape up all my lights, etc. 
Having said that, my buddy and I do plan to take a trip to So Cal just to ride your awesome roads for the weekend...when we do, I'll post up and see if we can maybe get a group ride going :)

- Paulie

Let me know when... i'll head up that way as well

I vot you get an fj for street use... keep fhe fizzy for the track...
youve alreay put so much into it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I wish I could figure out a good way to post photos on this site from my phone, but I can't seem to figure out a way:/ if anyone is curious, I have a few pictures posted here, which I only started this because a few friends demanded it: https://fzombieapocalypse.wordpress.com/

FZ specific notes of an overly long story- finally got to try out the shinkos- the 170 steers quickly and easily and seems to correct the loss of handling from the heavy load (also jacked up the preload on the rear which of course also helped). I really like how they handle so far. And taking them into some gravel campsites, they seemed to track better than my dirt confidence level expected, haha. Still haven't done anything too crazy twisty yet, but I would buy them a second time based on my first impression

And so far so good on traveling on the Moto! Camping people are super friendly on track people levels it seems! I might not be posting a ton since I'll be pretty busy, but I'll try to stay connected!

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Global Moderator

Let us know when you're headdd this way

Well, I wish I could figure out a good way to post photos on this site from my phone, but I can't seem to figure out a way:/ if anyone is curious, I have a few pictures posted here, which I only started this because a few friends demanded it: https://fzombieapocalypse.wordpress.com/ 
FZ specific notes of an overly long story- finally got to try out the shinkos- the 170 steers quickly and easily and seems to correct the loss of handling from the heavy load (also jacked up the preload on the rear which of course also helped). I really like how they handle so far. And taking them into some gravel campsites, they seemed to track better than my dirt confidence level expected, haha. Still haven't done anything too crazy twisty yet, but I would buy them a second time based on my first impression

And so far so good on traveling on the Moto! Camping people are super friendly on track people levels it seems! I might not be posting a ton since I'll be pretty busy, but I'll try to stay connected!
It kinda depends on where your camping, you usually find that the dirtbags camping out in the backwoods far away from any RV resort will be some of the friendliest people and are always willing to help. Not to stereotype, but usually the bigger and more expensive the RV is, the less friendly people are.  
If you need some tips for places to stay in Washington, let me know and I can give some campground recommendations, I grew up an Eagle scout and still go backpacking regularly today, so I have traveled around the PNW a bit

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Stay safe out there Zombi. Don't feed any bears!

• Premium Member

@zombiphone Have you tried the Tapatalk app? You can post pics from your phone with relative ease using that.

It kinda depends on where your camping, you usually find that the dirtbags camping out in the backwoods far away from any RV resort will be some of the friendliest people and are always willing to help. Not to stereotype, but usually the bigger and more expensive the RV is, the less friendly people are.  
If you need some tips for places to stay in Washington, let me know and I can give some campground recommendations, I grew up an Eagle scout and still go backpacking regularly today, so I have traveled around the PNW a bit

I probably won't be out that way this trip, but I intend to be in the future, so I'll definitely need some recommendations later! Right now I'm very much making it up as I go

And yeah, so far people have all been pretty nice in general. I ended up in a bit more back country of a camp ground a few nights ago when I couldn't get into Zion, but while everyone mostly seemed okay, I kind of prefer the big, overly patrolled campground just from a safety perspective. I'm probably just being paranoid, but other people are the biggest risk factor of being a small woman, unfortunately (and friends keep asking me what weapons I'm carrying and telling me horror stories, which has probably gotten in my head, haha). The people in rvs have definitely been much less likely to want to chat, but they also keep to themselves, so that's fine with me. It's an interesting balancing act of still having fun experiences, but also trying to be smart about it, haha. I'll get more comfortable with ip as I go, I'm sure. Give me some time to shake off the newb :P

But all in all, it's been a good trip so far! I'm heading into Tucson today, then probably white sands tomorrow!

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

@zombiphone Have you tried the Tapatalk app? You can post pics from your phone with relative ease using that.

I'll try it next time I'm at a place with a power outlet and free Wi-Fi. Hopefully that'll make it better because the mobile site is just awful

• Global Moderator

I'll try it next time I'm at a place with a power outlet and free Wi-Fi. Hopefully that'll make it better because the mobile site is just awful

Did you get the charger installed on your bike?
also... howd you like the AZ heat?

• Premium Member

Skipped a day reading your post about your awesome adventure. I'm guessing you already headed out of Dallas? Would have great to get to meet you and see your bike. I'm hoping either the end of this summer or early next year I'll get to have a similar trip myself.

• Premium Member

Thoroughly enjoying reading the blog about your adventures which I feel is also good advice about long distance Moto travels! Keep it up and be safe!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Great blog! Enjoy reading your updates, be safe. 

Sorry I've been so bad about posting here! Been a bit preoccupied, to say the least, haha. I'm in some random town in North East Texas right now, and will be heading through Arkansas today. Seriously, no offense to anyone who lives here, but Texas, while strikingly beautiful, has been the worst riding ever. I feel bad for the middle of my tires, haha. It's no wonder I saw so few other riders on the road despite the perfect temperatures

Did you get the charger installed on your bike? also... howd you like the AZ heat?

Oh man, after two nights in Utah, and a night in the cold mountains of Arizona, I more than welcomed the heat in Tucson. And I desperately missed it when I was riding through basically all of new Mexico and it's unexpectedly high elevation, haha ( my gear is warm, but it turns out it's not 40 degree day with wind chill from moving 70mph warm). The only thing I actually hated about Arizona was not being able to legally Lane split (get your act together, every other state that isn't California!)

And yep! Got it installed in Tucson. Just a quick hook up to the battery. I had no idea it was that simple and cheap to add a charge port to the bike, or I would have done it ages ago

Skipped a day reading your post about your awesome adventure. I'm guessing you already headed out of Dallas? Would have great to get to meet you and see your bike. I'm hoping either the end of this summer or early next year I'll get to have a similar trip myself.

Aww, sorry, yeah, I wish I had seen this sooner, as I skirted by Dallas again yesterday on the way out of Texas, hoping to avoid any residual storms in the South (I've heard some pretty rough things about new Orleans from friends who just left there for racing). I may or may not pass through again on the way back, so I'll try to remember to check in and see if you're around to meet up!

Thoroughly enjoying reading the blog about your adventures which I feel is also good advice about long distance Moto travels! Keep it up and be safe!

Aww, thanks! I'm very much so making it up as I go, and openly admit that I don't really know what I'm doing 90% of the time, but it's easier and less scary than I thought it would be, haha!

The only real challenge is finding a spot to sleep every night, but that's gotten easier and easier. Save last night where I got a hotel because my GPS failed me twice on campgrounds, but for the most part, KOAs, state parks, and small campgrounds are everywhere, super affordable, and many even have showers and power hook ups! Hopefully this continues now that I'm passing into the South West

DO IT!!! The days are long and not always easy, but the experience is so worth it! Our country is way more beautiful than people give it credit for

• Premium Member

Yeah, dfw isn't the best for riding. If you have a chance to ride down hwy 8 while in Arkansas it was great when I was there trying to get some last minute points in the scavenger hunt wickedtwister had last year.

Whoops, didn't mean to quote you twice, haha. I'll see if I can work that into my route! My only goal in Arkansas is the hot springs national park, and I have no idea where that is in relation to anything, but I'll see if I can find it. I need SOMETHING with turns, because this bike was not made to go straight!

• Global Moderator
Whoops, didn't mean to quote you twice, haha. I'll see if I can work that into my route! My only goal in Arkansas is the hot springs national park, and I have no idea where that is in relation to anything, but I'll see if I can find it. I need SOMETHING with turns, because this bike was not made to go straight!
Your poor pooor tires zkmbie

• Premium Member

Haha, I just got off a night shift so that's why I'm still up able to post back. Hwy 8 may be out of your way but try and find a magazine or pamphlet on riding in Arkansas, there are many different routes and in sure you'll pass through at least one. I'll be going back this summer for a weekend trip for sure. Do try and check out the Ouachita National Forest. It is beautiful and you should ride right past it. If you happen to be going down 84 and can stop by the Albert Pike recreation area there is a beautiful area where the river opens up into sorta a mini lake.

Edit: Cruise the ozarks is the name of the magazine, and website. Has maps of all the roads to ride. My computer is down so I unfortunately don't have any of my pictures from Arkansas

I thought you were going to go to Fredericksburg just west of Austin or did you? 
No, I think that was in the original route, but I ended up more north in Texas because I came in from Carlsbad, NM after visiting the caverns instead of going down through the Guadalupe mountains. I ended up heading down to Austin from Dallas then back up to avoid southern Louisiana, as even Austin got hit with some weird crazy storming the night before last (I was really glad I was sleeping in my friends trailer that night instead of a tent, to say the least). I think Fredericksburg will definitely be in my return route though since I'll be in Austin again for motogp and shouldn't have any reason to go back north. Is that where the better roads are?

zombiphone

First of all I want to say I'm impressed that you've rode so far on an FZ-07. You must be having fun! Just to the west of Austin is where the hill country is. There are twisties and, well, hills. it's much more scenic as well. West Texas is the place for motorcycles. Oh, yeah, don't forget about the Salt Lick!

Beemer

I still absolutely love them. I got to pull off all my luggage and just ride the fz without an extra passengers worth of weight in Tucson heading up a twisty mountain road, and the handling of the 170 rear is just fantastic. It steers soooo easy. I love it. And in a straight line, they're still holding up pretty solid. I've got 3000 miles on them so far and they still look great. In addition, most of the camp grounds I've encountered have had dirt and gravel, and it's felt stable in all of it. Which is pretty good considering both the load and the awkwardness of the rider, haha. Especially for the price, I'll definitely be getting another set when these wear out

As a disclaimer though, I'm not a canyon racer, so I don't know how they'd be if you're squidding hardcore through the canyons trying to get the best lap times, but as a 90% road/10% dirt relaxed dual sport tourer, I've got no complaints

Archived