The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ-0MBIE Apocalype photo log!

zombiphone

Sorry it's been kind of long time no update! It's hard to take a ton of time to internet while on the road. But I just wanted to note that my story is being published by motorcyclist magazine :D

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-1?src=SOC&dom=fb

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-2-bike

Nothing you guys don't already know, and obviously since this was my original build thread, this site technically has more information on the actual bike build, but just thought it was cool and I'd share!

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I've been enjoying following your adventures through the wordpress blog.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

• Premium Member
Sorry it's been kind of long time no update! It's hard to take a ton of time to internet while on the road. But I just wanted to note that my story is being published by motorcyclist magazine :D 
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-1?src=SOC&dom=fb

Nothing you guys don't already know, and obviously since this was my original build thread, this site technically has more information on the actual bike build, but just thought it was cool and I'd share!
Awesome!  Congrats on the article! 
:)

- Paulie

• Global Moderator

Glad to see you're still hanging in there
Bookmarked the article, cant wait to see ya here in phoenix

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Had to go cover my tail bag from the rain and happened to walk past your fz. Looks good and amazing the journey you've been on.

Had to go cover my tail bag from the rain and happened to walk past your fz. Looks good and amazing the journey you've been on.
Awww, man, I didn't know any other FZ people were going to be at CotA! I ran into two other people who recognized my bike from seeing it parked in New Orleans, but no one from the forum. Although, I was pretty nonstop busy the whole time I was there anyways, as I had a lot of racer buddies there from california and colorado. I ended up hitching a ride back with a couple friends who rode out from LA, and didn't have much time to stop on the way back. Just got in to Los Angeles late last night. 
Feels weird to be not on the road anymore after 9000 miles over the last month, but I'll be going back out in a couple weeks to knock out everything I missed (ie: the entire rest of the country + a few more parks on this side, like the grand canyon). The one month cross country and back trip was more of a testing the waters to see if I could survive living on the road, and I feel like the experiment was a success! Really sorry I missed everyone though :/ I'll have more time next time around when I'm less overwhelmed by everything

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Premium Member
phicurious86
The one month cross country and back trip was more of a testing the waters to see if I could survive living on the road, and I feel like the experiment was a success! Really sorry I missed everyone though :/ I'll have more time next time around when I'm less overwhelmed by everything
Glad you survived.

• Global Moderator

welcome back to civilization
glad to hear your trip was successful

• 2 weeks later...

" Glad you survived"
Think she did way more than survive. This girl doesn't just wanna have fun, she goes and gets it.
Glad the trip was successful. And yes, post trip depression is not at all uncommon.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

" Glad you survived" Think she did way more than survive. This girl doesn't just wanna have fun, she goes and gets it.
Glad the trip was successful. And yes, post trip depression is not at all uncommon.
Ugh, yeah- I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows what that's like then. It's been brutal trying to adjust and go back to normal, even if it's been nice to see friends again and such. I've been keeping myself occupied trying to plan out some stops for the remaining 34 states in the lower 48 that I didn't hit, but I still feel like I can't get back on the road fast enough. Shooting to leave again in maybe a week and a half after I finish some maintenance and tie up some loose ends  

But the good news is is that even now, I don't know if there's anything else I really needed for the FZ at least for my basic purposes. This build was pretty successful overall! When I make an alaska trek that hits a lot more dirt, I'll probably have to upgrade the suspension and possibly find a way to attach some more spare fuel cans and find a way to power some heated grips or gloves, but otherwise, the bike handled civilized touring pretty well and never stopped being legitimately fun to ride. So happy I picked this bike for this <3

Alaska...Wahoo. It is possible you may need a tyre rethink. Might be someone on the forum that has had experience with tyre rubber that will work up there in those temperatures and possible conditions. I ain't much help. Didn't see snow until I was 29...lived in the tropics. I did find that on the tar that Michelin Pilot road 4's work brilliantly in 1deg C and raining though.
Did you find you took way more stuff than you needed. I usually do. Get back and look at the unpacked gear and say " I didn't use that...or that...or that...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
zombiphone
Alaska...Wahoo. It is possible you may need a tyre rethink. Might be someone on the forum that has had experience with tyre rubber that will work up there in those temperatures and possible conditions. I ain't much help. Didn't see snow until I was 29...lived in the tropics. I did find that on the tar that Michelin Pilot road 4's work brilliantly in 1deg C and raining though. Did you find you took way more stuff than you needed. I usually do. Get back and look at the unpacked gear and say " I didn't use that...or that...or that...

Yeaaaah, depending on what kind of roads I hit, these are fine for gravel and dirt, but I don't think I'd trust them in mud or more adverse terrain. Low temperatures I couldn't say though, as the worst I hit was 40 degrees and pouring on the interstate getting through new mexico. Although, I think the suspension and ground clearance will be more of a limiter than the actual tires, but time will tell. My riding buddy for Alaska just told me he's out til next year afterall, so I'm going to be putting that off til later. Fortunately I have no shortage of states still to see though!  
I definitely overpacked a bit! For example, things like my solar panel, my camping chair (most campsites had benches, or I just sat in my tent and didn't need a chair) and having 4 normal outfits outside my base layers ended up pretty useless and needlessly space hogging, save the weekend at motogp, but I could have realistically gotten away with a single pair of jeans and a shirt or two instead (I blame my girly sdie for that one). Turns out, if you're not going places with people you know, there's rarely incentive to change out of long underwear and motogear, haha. All in all, I definitely didn't need nearly as much as I thought I did to tour comfortably.

Should be back to running around in a few days though, so I'll be a bit more discerning this time while still trying to prepare for everything. Super excited to get back on the road again! Gotta bunch of stops in mind so far, so it should be good. The US seriously has way more than people give it credit for :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator

When you coming back out on the road madame celebrity
Er... i mean @zombiephone

zombiphone
When you coming back out on the road madame celebrity Er... i mean @zombiephone

Hahaha, I'm still nobody, dammit!

I don't know why I never get emails when there's a reply on this thread, though, but for the record, I'm actually already back on the road as of last Saturday! Actually just crossed into Oregon today after literally 1000 miles of California Twisties. I never realized how spoiled I was living in that state, especially when I get into Oregon to 30 degrees and snowing, haha.

My plan was to head up through Oregon to Washington and start weaving up and down till I check off all the remaining states, but the weather is bad enough up here that I'm going to probably head east and just hit these on the way back. Should have committed to heated gear, but I thought May would be warm -_-

I've got a less strict timeline this time though, since I don't have to time it for moto gp so I actually can take some time for extra stops. It feels a lot easier and less scary this time, for sure.

I'll start updating that blog again, so I can keep a record that won't get lost in my Facebook feed

zombiphone

Oh! And if anyone is going to be at Laguna Seca for wsbk in July or Pike's Peak for the hill climb next month, say hi! Those are the only fixed time events that I've got on my list this time around

• Global Moderator
I don't know why I never get emails when there's a reply on this thread, though, but for the record, I'm actually already back on the road as of last Saturday! Actually just crossed into Oregon today after literally 1000 miles of California Twisties. I never realized how spoiled I was living in that state, especially when I get into Oregon to 30 degrees and snowing, haha.

My plan was to head up through Oregon to Washington and start weaving up and down till I check off all the remaining states, but the weather is bad enough up here that I'm going to probably head east and just hit these on the way back. Should have committed to heated gear, but I thought May would be warm -_-

I've got a less strict timeline this time though, since I don't have to time it for moto gp so I actually can take some time for extra stops. It feels a lot easier and less scary this time, for sure.

I'll start updating that blog again, so I can keep a record that won't get lost in my Facebook feed

What's the website for the blog again?
and are we gonna see ya in phoenix this time around?

zombiphone
What's the website for the blog again? and are we gonna see ya in phoenix this time around?

Not sure if I'll have this trip published or not in motorcyclist, ultimately, but the record I keep in real time outside Facebook are in here:
https://fzombieapocalypse.wordpress.com/

Also not sure if I'll end up that far south again, as I'm making it up as I go this time, but I do still need to see the grand canyon. Hmmm

Its been weird up here in Washington lately, we have pretty much been getting summer weather lately. Its been like 70 and 80 degrees out everyday up until the last couple days. I think this weekend may be a bit rainy, but after that I think its supposed to get back to being warm. Maybe circle up through the east side of the state since it is much drier over there and then head over the pass to the coast when it should be cleared up next weekend. 
edit: If your looking for more twisties, check out some of the roads in central oregon. If they can do anything right over there its build a good road in the middle of nowhere. There are some very amazing roads that aren't traveled by many people so you can open it up without hitting traffic.

This website has some pretty good roads and guides if your looking to explore:
http://roadsnw.com/

zombiphone

Yeah, people keep telling me that it was warm up here JUST the other day, but as the current forecast is all cold all the time and, and after spending the morning in every layer I could physically wear to combat 30 degrees and pouring with the wind chill of riding at 65mph on the way to Bend, OR, and still having to pull over every 20 minutes or so to regain feeling in my hands, I'm gonna call it on these states and start heading southeast, haha.

I'll come back for the stuff I wanted to see in Oregon and Washington after Laguna seca in July, though, because there's legitimately quite a lot I still want to see up here.

Awesome link though! I'll definitely use it, and it looks like it covers some of Idaho, which I'm heading toward in a few moments. Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan, by then north cascades highway and Chinook pass should be more melted out and better for motorcycles. And if you want some good roads and amazing scenery I would highly recommend those roads. One tip I would give to you, if your looking to camp anywhere within a 3 or so hour drive time from Seattle, reserve your camp spots ahead of time. Unfortunately they tend to sell out really fast during the peak season of the summer and sometimes you may not have another good option without riding on for another hour.

Let me know if you need any further help or anything when your in town.

• 8 months later...

Oh man, just came back on this site for the first time in a long time just to look around and see what people are doing with their FZ's and it's pretty cool! I finally got back from touring the entirety of the united states, but still feeling pretty not ready to settle, I started planning a trip to Baja/Mexico, Central, and, if things go well, South America, which I'll be leaving for at the end of this week. I've never been south of the border so it should be fun!

I'm still writing all of my stories between the Motorcyclist Magazine articles, and my facebook page, but unfortunately I stopped updating my blog a while back due to contract reasons. The articles are a little behind still, but they're almost totally caught up! Sorry for not updating anything in so long! It's been enough effort just to keep up on the few things I use on the road, and I've been pretty bad about forums.

As far as this build goes, I have to say, I still feel the FZ is an incredibly capable adventure bike! I haven't added anything beyond what's here, other than a USB battery tender attachment for charging my cell phone and trading out my 70 liter nelson riggs dry bag for a more compartmentalized 40 liter bag with two 15s, and it's done great for everything from long highway stints to canyons to Subaru level dirt roads to getting to Alaska and back. I even made it a 170 mile stint with fuel to spare! the real test will be once I'm in rural, less paved, 3rd world latin america, but I have high hopes!

And that's all- sorry for being such a stranger! Just wanted to say I'm still alive and after now 43,000 miles, this project is so far a success! I can't guarantee I'll be much better at responding from here since I don't know what to expect of service south of the border, but I'll do my best!

Oh man, just came back on this site for the first time in a long time just to look around and see what people are doing with their FZ's and it's pretty cool! I finally got back from touring the entirety of the united states, but still feeling pretty not ready to settle, I started planning a trip to Baja/Mexico, Central, and, if things go well, South America, which I'll be leaving for at the end of this week. I've never been south of the border so it should be fun!  
I'm still writing all of my stories between the Motorcyclist Magazine articles, and my facebook page, but unfortunately I stopped updating my blog a while back due to contract reasons. The articles are a little behind still, but they're almost totally caught up! Sorry for not updating anything in so long! It's been enough effort just to keep up on the few things I use on the road, and I've been pretty bad about forums.

As far as this build goes, I have to say, I still feel the FZ is an incredibly capable adventure bike! I haven't added anything beyond what's here, other than a USB battery tender attachment for charging my cell phone and trading out my 70 liter nelson riggs dry bag for a more compartmentalized 40 liter bag with two 15s, and it's done great for everything from long highway stints to canyons to Subaru level dirt roads to getting to Alaska and back. I even made it a 170 mile stint with fuel to spare! the real test will be once I'm in rural, less paved, 3rd world latin america, but I have high hopes!

And that's all- sorry for being such a stranger! Just wanted to say I'm still alive and after now 43,000 miles, this project is so far a success! I can't guarantee I'll be much better at responding from here since I don't know what to expect of service south of the border, but I'll do my best!

Would u be interested in doing a ride report on here during your trip when you hit internet access? I could up upload any text or pics you could email to me ea day or week and people here would love to see your journey! Your friends and relatives could follow along too!

Do you have out of country health insurance yet? Medivac insurance is also a good idea.

Would u be interested in doing a ride report on here during your trip when you hit internet access? I could up upload any text or pics you could email to me ea day or week and people here would love to see your journey! Your friends and relatives could follow along too!  
Do you have out of country health insurance yet? Medivac insurance is also a good idea.
I admittedly don't have insurance anymore for our country or otherwise. Which I acknowledge is not the safest, and in the event of something going wrong would be an issue, but the cost of insurance was so high, that I couldn't travel and pay for it at the same time, so I decided to take the risk. I do want to look into medivac out of mexico if need be though and see what it costs in other countries. A friend sent me a few options, and I just need to look over them still. 
And I could try to do a ride report! I can't promise much as far as consistency though, just because I have no idea what to expect down there as far as service and wi-fi, especially when I'm camping. Most of the places I camped even in the US had no service at all, so I assume Mexico and Panama and everything in between isn't much better, and there's so much going on mentally and otherwise while travelling around that a lot of days, writing and using the internet at all doesn't even cross my mind. I'll still be writing for the magazine in couple day chunks as I travel south, but as long as I don't replicate any of those posts as they're written here, I'll be alright to post. I could probably posts regular pictures and fill in stories later, although I struggle with posting images from my phone on mobile. I'll see what I can do!

OH, and this is the link to the magazine write ups, if anyone is interested! It's taken the place of my blog. They did a feature on the trip in the December/January print issue, and it was pretty cool to hunt down on the road, and be recognized by a few people, haha:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/authors/tiffani-burkett

OH, and this is the link to the magazine write ups, if anyone is interested! It's taken the place of my blog. They did a feature on the trip in the December/January print issue, and it was pretty cool to hunt down on the road, and be recognized by a few people, haha:  
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/authors/tiffani-burkett

That is so awesome Tiffani! Motorcyclist magazine is my favorite and I cant believe I didn't put two and two together.

Archived