The MT-07 Forum

metal rattle

mhakkola

Hey QJohn, it would be helpful if you could simply call the dealer and ask if they remember. I also hear the metallic rattle/clatter, but only when I am near barriers going in the fast lane. Without a close by reflecting surface, I just can't hear it.
Well the noise you're describing isn't the noise I was hearing on my bike. I heard a rattle in the front in the radiator area while revving at a standstill. Although I also did hear the same noise you heard while next to objects that will reflect the sound back to me. I havnt yet rode next to anything to hear if that is gone or not. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just have them a call like 5 min ago and the tech can't remember. Sorry guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have them a call like 5 min ago and the tech can't remember. Sorry guys.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you failed us!.. just kidding..  i noticed when having my bike on the stand and running it in gear and poor oil on the chain it goes away. i just think its got a loud chain and sprocket.

I think I may have figured out what it was on my bike. I removed the reflectors off the front forks and haven't noticed the rattle anymore. Anyone want to confirm my suspicions?

Interesting, unknown. I feel like mine comes from the front of the bike as well, so I might give it a shot. I also feel like I have the same issue as Maryland and Kam.

I think I may have figured out what it was on my bike. I removed the reflectors off the front forks and haven't noticed the rattle anymore. Anyone want to confirm my suspicions?

I removed my reflectors within minutes of getting the bike home. Still have the rattle.

Hmmmm, I had the rattle but now it is gone. The only thing I removed/worked on was the reflectors. I'll try and think of what else I did that got rid of it.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I've been having this noise too and wondering if it could be the valve tappets or something worse.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Man, I thought I was going crazy hearing this noise. Kind of glad I'm not the only one.

I only notice it at lower speeds/RPM as wind tends to drown everything but the motor out. Definitely gets more noticeable when riding next to a barrier that deflects the sound.

I have nearly 1000 miles on the bike and my chain slack seems fine. I'm going to test out removing the front reflectors though...

The rattle is annoying and I guess the only answer is a louder exhaust or earplugs. The sound is so little but it drives me nuts.

I've never heard this metal rattle, but I have removed the reflectors from my front calipers on both sides as well

• Premium Member

I get this too. Definitely sounds like the chain and when I drive or pass next to cars its even louder. Just make sure your chain is lubed up!

In my case, it is absolutely not the chain. Someone had mentioned earlier that the dealer suggested it was valve tapping. I don't even know what that is but is about the best explanation I have heard so far. But I will be checking/removing my front reflectors to make sure that isn't the culprit.

I've heard millions of new FZ07 riders complain of the "rattle" when riding or shifting gears, I purchased a 2015 and had the same issue. Yamaha was notified and told me it was normal, I proceeded to investigate. I Have a friend who's a mechanic for them and notified me that Yamaha only lubes chains and "does not clean or degrease customers chains etc. So I bought some kerosene and started cleaning. DuPont chain saver and fixed the issue so just clean and lube and fixed the problem also told me they're infamous for building up gunk and breaking the front sprocket so try it cheap fix and hopefully nothing more Serious

Crap ... I don't have the rattle and I'm worried. If you all have it and it's normal, mine must be missing something. More likely it's because, I'm 59 and just don't hear it; not in my frequency range :P

• Premium Member
Crap ... I don't have the rattle and I'm worried. If you all have it and it's normal, mine must be missing something. More likely it's because, I'm 59 and just don't hear it; not in my frequency range :P
LOL! 
- Paulie

Dealer cleaned and lubed chain before I bought it. Only had rattle for the first 50 miles and had to tighten chain after 100 miles. Seems like normal "break in" process for the fz07 thus far? I'd say if metal still rattles after 600-1000 mi tell the dealer to get you a new one unless a mechanic says otherwise. You bought a brand new bike, it should sound like one.

"I'm not reckless. I am incredibly skilled with a bit of flair."

I commute on it daily. Past 1000 miles. Every time the traffic slow down and I am going 45 mph on I-95 here in VA / DC area, there are barriers lining the side all the way and this metallic 'gurgling' sort of noise is all I hear. It is mildly distracting/annoying coz then I am thinking about it constantly until things speed up and its only the roar of the wind :) Bah.

I mentioned it to my dealer service dept. and the guy there barely pretended to hear me and finally said, its a yamaha and will be noisy and if all is well, you will be fine. I just wondered to myself how to make that guy understand that I am speaking to him about the 'whether all is well' part, but I just left. Did the 600 mile service myself. Figured I will have some dealer do the 4000 mile one and mention this again and if they clear it, then so be it. Unless somebody here figures it out sooner.

Found my front-end rattle. The dealer had put the wrong spacer in the front fender, so one of the bolts didn't hold it put. It rattled around, no matter how tight the bolt was. Could that be your problem?

• Global Moderator

Could this also be a cause for rattles some people experience? Dealers that incorrectly assemble the bike.

Thanks guys, both of you. These are good leads. I will check them out when I get a chance. Passed 2K miles and grinning all the way when not going slow :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update for posterity. I guess what I think of as the "rattle" is simply standard engine noise. I hear it only reflected off barriers at low speeds 30-50 mph, and now at 4K mile service, I think I am okay about putting this concern to rest. Everything is good :) *fingers crossed*

Archived