The MT-07 Forum

metal rattle

mhakkola

My -07 bought last week now has about 300 miles on it. I also hear the "rattle" but only when passing or cruising next to cars.
It's unfortunate that the poster (http://fz07.org/post/9117) who had this same "rattle" but was able to get it fixed by his dealer cannot tell us how they fixed the issue!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
littlesquirt
I've got the same sound mhakkola. I plan on dropping it off for the dealer to diagnose soon. It may be the chain sound as Guru mentioned but I never noticed such a loud chain on my previous bike.
X2 on that. Tightened my chain yesterday. A tiny...like minute...amount quieter. This is bike like number 25 for me and has the noisiest drive chain I've ever heard.  Definitely the chain/sprocket/slider making the racket. Pulled in the clutch next to the barrier wall in the "fast" lane and clatter, clatter. Almost sounds like a dry clutch :-). 

my metal rattling noise is def the chain.  Can hear it super loud when passing cars or concrete barriers.

ordering a new chain today, I'm soooooo tired of this noise in slow traffic.  Will update after I install a nice quality x-ring chain.....

Chain slack is fine, I tapped/kicked chain in towards the rear wheel a few quick times and I can hear what sounds like the center rollers gingling around.....def a chinsy cheap chain....

• 4 weeks later...
X2 on that. Tightened my chain yesterday. A tiny...like minute...amount quieter. This is bike like number 25 for me and has the noisiest drive chain I've ever heard.  Definitely the chain/sprocket/slider making the racket. Pulled in the clutch next to the barrier wall in the "fast" lane and clatter, clatter. Almost sounds like a dry clutch :-). 

my metal rattling noise is def the chain.  Can hear it super loud when passing cars or concrete barriers.

ordering a new chain today, I'm soooooo tired of this noise in slow traffic.  Will update after I install a nice quality x-ring chain.....

Chain slack is fine, I tapped/kicked chain in towards the rear wheel a few quick times and I can hear what sounds like the center rollers gingling around.....def a chinsy cheap chain....

I have same noise... did it change anything with new chain?

Nitro...
No matter past or future...it's always better ride now !

• Global Moderator

New chain might help, but i have a feeling it wont... the chain slack spec is ridiculous on this bike. Fz09 spec is somewhere around the 15mm mark i believe our chains are set to 65mm or summat. if someone could help me out that has the spec...

I will be swapping over to a similar final drive setup as @pgeldz
maybe he can shed some light on how his chain swap has impacted the issue

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

One thing I have noticed when not wearing ear plugs is that the plastic
tank cover amplifies any noise from the front end of the bike.

bmwpowere36m3
New chain might help, but i have a feeling it wont... the chain slack spec is ridiculous on this bike. Fz09 spec is somewhere around the 15mm mark i believe our chains are set to 65mm or summat. if someone could help me out that has the spec...  

The FZ-07 chain spec is not ridiculous, just measured in an odd way. Most others spec chain slack as the total movement of the chain (up/down) at its center point between sprockets (direct measurement). Whereas on the FZ-07 it's measured off the swingarm to chain (indirect).

• Premium Member
I had a noise as well when I first got the bike.  Sounded like a lot of what everyone here has described. 
After I did the 520 chain conversion, I never heard the noise again.  Not sure if it's coincidence or not, but the noise is gone :)

- Paulie

• 1 month later...
fooschnickens

So this might be entirely unrelated, but after I got my bike back from the dealer the noise has all but gone away. I left them a message to see if they had messed with the chain tension while they were working on the leaking water pump cover. I thought it had come back today, but what I was hearing was my keys rattling, not whatever else it is that causes this noise.

It's a long shot, but I'm hoping I'm finally rid of this horrible noise. I've put about 150 miles on it since I got it back from the dealer, 100 of those I just did today on a mixture of highway and surface streets. I'll try taking everything else off my keychain so that only the key is in the ignition and nothing else is rattling around and go for another ride.

Archived