The MT-07 Forum

Unboxing Matris with my QA Inspector

fzonly1

• Premium Member

@rick I'm talking Bout part (20). As for a top out spring I don't see one. Only a rebound spring. (13)
Rebound spring and Topout spring are one in the same, Just a different description. 
Terry

Nice. Thank you. As for end stroke (hydro stop ?) no idea what that is. I'm learning as I go.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Rebound spring and Topout spring are one in the same, Just a different description. 
Terry

Nice. Thank you. As for end stroke (hydro stop ?) no idea what that is. I'm learning as I go.
It is basically a position sensitive damping circuit to prevent an abrupt bottom out that may cause damage. 
Terry

• Premium Member
It is basically a position sensitive damping circuit to prevent an abrupt bottom out that may cause damage. 
Terry

So did you have to pull out #19 and #20, or did you just leave them in there? 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Terry

So did you have to pull out #19 and #20, or did you just leave them in there? 

Those stayed in. Hope that's correct. I still need to torque the cap and make sure the damper rod bolt is torqued as well.

• Premium Member

Is there a image of the cartridges without the protective wrapping on them?

Did Matris say to leave the stock hydro stop installed? How about the stock topout spring?

• Premium Member

Is there a image of the cartridges without the protective wrapping on them? 
Did Matris say to leave the stock hydro stop installed? How about the stock topout spring?

Yup. Instructions say to leave those in. I'll snap a pic of the other cartridge tomorrow without the cover on it.

• Premium Member

Ok sounds like you are all good then, No need to take a snapshot then. Some cartridge kits take a different approach but if they say leave them in all should be good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

did I miss the review?  This thread is creeping along at 5 weeks now.
Nope. Waiting on new oil / dust seals and oil seal driver. Annnnd oil level tool.
I got first leg done and realized I didn't lube the oil seal after cleaning everything back up. So I tore it back down and just ordered new seals.
Also I didn't torque the damper rod bolt and need to find out the best way to get it tightened up.

you don't need to torque the bolt very tight. Drop the spring in, turn it upside down, compress a bit, and turn bolt. Hand tight is fine, 15-20ft/lb is PLENTY. The only time it has any force on it is when the forks are at max extension and engaging the top-out spring. The counter-force is only 10mm worth of the main spring so it's not much.

If re-using the OE bolts (can't remember if Matris supplies replacements) it's a good idea to run them thru a thread chaser, clean them, and use a fresh copper crush washer. If you want to put a small band of BLUE Loctite on it you can. But that's a bit overkill.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

you don't need to torque the bolt very tight. Drop the spring in, turn it upside down, compress a bit, and turn bolt. Hand tight is fine, 15-20ft/lb is PLENTY. The only time it has any force on it is when the forks are at max extension and engaging the top-out spring. The counter-force is only 10mm worth of the main spring so it's not much. 
If re-using the OE bolts (can't remember if Matris supplies replacements) it's a good idea to run them thru a thread chaser, clean them, and use a fresh copper crush washer. If you want to put a small band of BLUE Loctite on it you can. But that's a bit overkill.
I'll definitely pick up the new crush washers. Mātris didn't supply any hardware with the kit. I haven't seen any residue showing loctite was used so I don't think ill be adding any myself. I'm glad you told me this, I think the stock torque setting for that bolt is 22 lbs anyway. I'd like to shoot for the low end of 15 or so like you suggest. Just got my fork seal driver in mail today. Should get seals and level by Friday. I'm hoping this is the weekend it finally all comes together. ab925210c19c8282ff428a9ec794d41d.jpg

• Premium Member

Hey fzonly1, still keeping track of your progress, and thanks for the updates!
Where did you get the fork seal driver (link)?

• Premium Member

@rowdy (Small steps forward,) so frustrated that it's not done yet. Better planning would have moved this along much quicker. Found the driver on Amazon Prime. Love the 2 day shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009M4COVI/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1447902645&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=fork+oil+seal+driver+41mm

Cycle Gear carries a driver too. It's a 'generic' one and no where NEAR as nice as the Motion Pro variety but if you have a store near you...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Now if I can only find the time...
Hey those look just like mine!  Now... If I can only find the time too. ;) 

• Premium Member

2am, but I finally made some progress. Too late to crank her up n try it out. Need to make sure I have the fork caps torqued down enough. I tried to protect the caps as much as possible but my socket slipped on both of them chippin the pretty gloss black finish. Pissed. Oh well. Bush league bullsh**. I managed to get the damper rod bolts torqued easily. The oil level tool was very convenient. So was the oil seal driver. I'll be updating tomorrow at some point. Need sleep. 8d30102a5dcf516fdd822370a0a54292.jpg365fc8eb4b8fd63f51e84c84468197b3.jpg

• Premium Member

Nice work fzonly1! Looking forward to the ride report. I still haven't done anything with mine yet, and with the cold temps we've been having, it might have to wait till spring. :(

Indeed, in the Yamaha Service Manual the torque for the cap is 26 Nm (2.6 m • kgf, 19 ft • lbf).
It's a medium torque, anyway.

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Indeed, in the Yamaha Service Manual the torque for the cap is 26 Nm (2.6 m • kgf, 19 ft • lbf). It's a medium torque, anyway.
those specs are for the upper bracket pinch bolts - shown just above the cap specs at 17 ft-lbs 
still, like the man said, snug. 

The manual does call the lower bracket upper at one point. Not the best manual on the planet. 

Archived