2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just rode to the city today for the 1st time. It was an enjoyable ride aside from almost getting hit by an NYPD car. But very enjoyable nonetheless. Found parking on 61st between 9th & Broadway. Not fully confident in it but hope I don't have a ticket when I get out of class. Wish me luck.

Just rode to the city today for the 1st time. It was an enjoyable ride aside from almost getting hit by an NYPD car. But very enjoyable nonetheless. Found parking on 61st between 9th & Broadway. Not fully confident in it but hope I don't have a ticket when I get out of class. Wish me luck.
Oh yeah it was beautiful riding weather today.  Rode the bike to work also.  Did you save time on your commute by riding?  Did you get a ticket?  

@pattybags Yea I saved a lot of time on the commute. Normally its about 30-40 minutes with the bus and made it in 20. The shitty part is that it cost me $15 to go through the tunnel. lol but sooo worth it. And no I did not get a ticket. They don't patrol 61st street too often I'm guessing. We need to schedule a meet in the city and go for a ride.

Its gonna be in the upper 70s today cant wait to get home and ride.

@pattybags Yea I saved a lot of time on the commute. Normally its about 30-40 minutes with the bus and made it in 20. The shetty part is that it cost me $15 to go through the tunnel. lol but sooo worth it. And no I did not get a ticket. They don't patrol 61st street too often I'm guessing. We need to schedule a meet in the city and go for a ride.  
I used to park by the meter on 59th and 10th and never pay.  I got away with that everyday for about a month and a half before I finally got a ticket.  After that ticket, I started parking in the lot up the block.  Yea paying for the tunnels is brutal.   
Not sure what you're schedule is like but I work 3pm-11pm.  What color is your bike?  I'm gonna look for it.

cars there are worse than Cali for their awareness of motos i lived in pittsburgh for a while and would travel to NY for a family visit every other weekend
i could barely stand driving a car there... i couldnt imagine owning a bike unless you were up north in the countryside

Although I only went to Kennedy Airport once to pick up a relative flying in from Germany I did notice more dents in cars (especially taxi's) there (41st or 42nd st. I believe it was) than ANY OTHER place I've ever been to. I mean it really stood out. I don't think I would enjoy riding in town for fear of some idiot running into me. Austin can be bad but it ain't got nothin' on New York.

Beemer

@pattybags I have the red one but I'm not there today. I'm waiting for my EZpass to come so I can get a motorcycle discount. Then I'll ride to the city more often.

@pattybags Yea I saved a lot of time on the commute. Normally its about 30-40 minutes with the bus and made it in 20. The shetty part is that it cost me $15 to go through the tunnel. lol but sooo worth it. And no I did not get a ticket. They don't patrol 61st street too often I'm guessing. We need to schedule a meet in the city and go for a ride.  
I used to park by the meter on 59th and 10th and never pay.  I got away with that everyday for about a month and a half before I finally got a ticket.  After that ticket, I started parking in the lot up the block.  Yea paying for the tunnels is brutal.   
Not sure what you're schedule is like but I work 3pm-11pm.  What color is your bike?  I'm gonna look for it.

Be careful, flat beds were in full effect today around midtown! They had 3 on there and looking for more. Theres some parking around 49th St and 1st Ave if anyone needs a spot around the way, theres 2 blocks of parking available (everything else is Diplomats). We should make a NYC safe parking thread  (rofl)

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

I wish there was designated motorcycle parking every 5 blocks or so that could hold about 5 bikes. I think that's a reasonable amount.

I wish there was designated motorcycle parking every 5 blocks or so that could hold about 5 bikes. I think that's a reasonable amount.

I've noticed how much was done to promote bicycle riding in the city, but the needs of motorcyclist are overlooked. There are enough motorcycle clubs and riders in NYC to get something done, but it seems like politics aren't on the agenda of most groups.

And they have these stupid CitiBike stations that take up plenty of good parking spots. They could have easily designated similar spots for motorcycles. I think it's time we join forces. Shall we start a petition on change.org?

And they have these stupid CitiBike stations that take up plenty of good parking spots. They could have easily designated similar spots for motorcycles. I think it's time we join forces. Shall we start a petition on change.org?
I second this! but how effective are those petitions?

I second this! but how effective are those petitions?
I hear you.  The petition itself won't change anything.  At the very least, we can spark a conversation about our plight and maybe it will catch on.  
A more effective way might be to buy a $10k plate at a GOP fundrasing gala and tell those do nothing politicians that our many constituents at fz07.org are willing to put money behind a politician who can get us some damn parking spots.  

• Premium Member

And that still would not be enough for them to look at the problem...lol
We would need a big company to back this up, Citibike has Citibank so we should approach Chase or Bank of America and see if we can pitch them an idea. I would not mind paying a few bucks to safely park my bike just not the crazy prices car have to pay, pitch the idea to DOT would be awesome. something like meter parking for motorcycles with anchors to chain them.

I hear you.  The petition itself won't change anything.  At the very least, we can spark a conversation about our plight and maybe it will catch on.  
A more effective way might be to buy a $10k plate at a GOP fundrasing gala and tell those do nothing politicians that our many constituents at fz07.org are willing to put money behind a politician who can get us some damn parking spots.  
This made me laugh hard!!  
@Goose1072 I think it would easier to get a sponsor like Red Bull.  I'd imagine banks are very hesitant on these kinds of things but then again with a monetary incentive they may.  Regardless it would take a while to fully find a supporter who's willing to invest in scouting locations and the amount of space the city will allow in each area.  Then implementing a universal locking mechanism that could be linked to a metered parking system would be a cool thing.  Hopefully its not too expensive if someone does do this.  This might be good idea for me to cash in own lol

• 3 weeks later...

Riding into the city today. If anyone else is I am free to meet up after 5. I'll be near Columbus Circle. Enjoy the nice weather ladies/fellas :)

• 3 weeks later...

@manny05x Welcome Manny. Its fun riding in the city but you gotta get yourself out to Bear Mountain area. There are amazing twisty turns and hairpins up there. Since you're a new rider get comfortable leaning the bike. Hope to ride with you very soon buddy. I might be riding into the city later tonight.

• Premium Member

I'm in Queens and here is my route

59st bridge upper to 57st straight to 3rd or Madison ave if traffic is ok, then go up to 66th Street to cross thru central park make a right after the park onto central park west to 72nd street. I stay on 72nd until I get onto the west side hwy, ride that all the way up to 125th Street.
That's my way to work in the morning but in the afternoon is more local no hwy.

I take Columbus ave to 81st to cross over thru central park to the east side then I jump onto 5th ave and then it all depends on traffic but I get down to 62nd street to cross over to 2nd ave to get to 59th street bridge upper most of the time.

My daily routine, I love the morning when on the hwy nice and quick.

Thats a nice ride. I haven't gone above 65th street. Mostly out of Lincoln Tunnel and up to Columbus Circle.

Anyone down to ride out to Cycle Gear in Hicksville tomorrow morning?

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

I grew up in NY. But i Live in CA now. 
Riding outside the city is Fine (long island, upstate, etc).

DO NOT RIDE IN THE CITY.

Insane Traffic, cars + cabs + Bus's weaving all over the place, oily streets, potholes, terrible smells.....had enough? lol..

I think it was 41st st. I went down once in NY and it was everything mentioned and then some. I seriously had this foreboding feeling that something bad, some crime or accident was going to happen and I wanted nothing other than to get the hell out of that putrid place. Holly wood can't make it feel like the sh*t-hole it truly is and New Yorker's are only tough because they can stand to live there. Please, get a sturdy car with dents already all over it and a case of Ozium.

Beemer

• Premium Member

LMAO Welcome to NYC, it's not for everyone. I have been riding into the city for years now and yes i have had problems with Traffic,Cars, Cabs, Buses, Oily street, Potholes, Manholes and SMELLS! But I have survived so far and will continueto do so, I AM A NEW YORKER nothing else needs to be said.

Archived