The MT-07 Forum

Failing In My Quest To Slow Down

ornery

ornery

I ask this to help you ornery. Has all your raging and complaining about other people's dumb mistakes ever made a difference to anything? You must know people aren't ever going to change and start driving right and you have to be dog tired of being upset time after time after rides so why not make a real effort to laugh at the jerks and go easy on yourself. Don't get mad at them, laugh at their mistakes just as you would laugh at your own. Sometimes those people make honest mistakes like you do/we all do at times and don't deserve the harshness, right?

Beemer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, for that one week, which I intended to be permanent change, I examined all angles of the issue. Why I get pissed in the first place, how to change that, and how to react if I do. I guess I made some progress. Got a better handle on it in the end, and currently do brush off some things that got to me before. Actually, I've made good progress, but still ride fairly aggressively. Truth be told, the more aggressively I ride, the less things get to me!

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

I got pulled over only once, that was on my old ninja 500. The speedo broke that morning so I decided to follow the speed of traffic. There was only one other car on the road so I stayed in the same lane behind to ensure I didn't pass him. Well of course I got pulled over and he said I was going 63 in a 40 zone. Didn't even know, it was a windy day so I couldn't tell my speed by wind feel. That was a $500 ticket, luckily I didn't go to jail. Cuz 23 over is a lot...I probably shouldn't have gotten the fz so soon after that bit here I am. And I have the same problem, I let this bike carry me the way it wants to fly. I just watch more carefully

I got pulled over only once, that was on my old ninja 500. The speedo broke that morning so I decided to follow the speed of traffic. There was only one other car on the road so I stayed in the same lane behind to ensure I didn't pass him. Well of course I got pulled over and he said I was going 63 in a 40 zone. Didn't even know, it was a windy day so I couldn't tell my speed by wind feel. That was a $500 ticket, luckily I didn't go to jail. Cuz 23 over is a lot...I probably shouldn't have gotten the fz so soon after that bit here I am. And I have the same problem, I let this bike carry me the way it wants to fly. I just watch more carefully
This thread appeals to me. After reading, "I let this bike carry me the way it wants to fly", I kinda get the impression that not having a speedometer is more a way of life for you than it is a reason for going too fast. I like that, though. It rings of freedom. Not a cheap freedom but freedom none the less. 

Beemer

Track days is the answer for me too. In my younger days, I rode a 92 Gixxer 750 and constantly rode like a maniac on public roads. Over that now. The FZ is so much fun with its get up and go and then I back off to stay within speed limits in the streets. FZ and tracks days are just all out great fun where I can push the bike and my skills' limits to la la land. Watching the faster riders blast by me keeps me honest too.

Archived