The MT-07 Forum

Any comparative feedback on these 3 bikes?

xorbe

• Premium Member
Why are dealers so reluctant to give OTD quotes. How do they expect people to choose what to buy without some prices on the table. I'm just gonna wind up watching CL for used bikes. Are cash (non-loan) buyers that rare, I find it hard to believe.
If you haven't done so yet try doing things through the dealer's online sales department. Seemed to work much better IMO

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I've learned is that top heavy makes a bike feel heavier than it is. I guess I over-reacted trying to find a very light bike, thinking it was just the weight. The 400 lb ST feels lighter than my old 340 lb Ninja. The ST borders on twitchy imho, lol. My li'l ninja didn't feel so lively after riding the ST. So, I really should still consider 450-480 lb bikes that are proportioned lower than FZ6R.

If they made a 410 lb faired FZ-07, I would probably be all over it. I really want to just have one bike ... not that I can't acquire multiple bikes, but it's the time to maintain them all.

What do you all think of the just revised new 2016 Ninja 650?  Another bike that doesn't seem to get a lot of love universally, but it ticks a lot of my boxes: parallel twin, 64 hp, faired, abs, and reportedly has quick steering / low CoG sensation despite 465 lbs.  Might be a little forward leaning.  Clearly it's not the torque monster that everyone here loves, heh.

Fearedbynone
R3 will give you the thrills of the 07 at lower speeds but higher rpm
Being a 300 its not meant by any means for highway speeds
I totally disagree with this. my cousin has an r3 and it outruns a cb500f. it tops out over 100. its perfectly fine for the interstate. 
speaking of the CB500F, have you looked at one? i just traded mine in for an FZ-07. it was a great bike, i was just bored with it.

45ish hp, 31ish torque. upright seating position. etc.

Dave

speaking of the CB500F, have you looked at one? i just traded mine in for an FZ-07. it was a great bike, i was just bored with it. 45ish hp, 31ish torque. upright seating position. etc.
I did look at Honda's CBR300, 300F, and CBR500.  Not sure there was a 500F though.  They definitely didn't have the 500X.

Just threw down for an R3 since they are relatively cheap, and none of the more expensive machines are really jumping out at me. It should scoot me down the freeway for 30 miles better than my old Ninja 250 does, when I do sporadically use the freeway. May still buy a larger machine for actual day-long freeway rides, some random cruiser or tourer from CL, etc.

Why are dealers so reluctant to give OTD quotes. How do they expect people to choose what to buy without some prices on the table. I'm just gonna wind up watching CL for used bikes. Are cash (non-loan) buyers that rare, I find it hard to believe.
If you haven't done so yet try doing things through the dealer's online sales department. Seemed to work much better IMO
Dealers seem to stick together where I live.  They will not dicker over the phone or give a juicy quote via email. Maybe if its a bike that's troublesome to sell. It's gotta be face to face and if they think they are close to closing a deal they will dicker.  I appreciate a good salesman but most suck so I have a real hateon for them in general.

you should be happy with the r3. for the money, it is outstanding. 
Dave
I really like it.  Much lighter, bit more upright (or shorter reach) and softer seat than 6R, 1st and 2nd are a blast around town under 50.  Spunky enough to comfortably hang in the freeway fast lane.  Strong head wind will challenge it around low 80s / 6th gear, needs 5th+6th gear if flying, but I cruise about 72.  Good enough for me to go about 35 miles occasionally.  I got almost 200 miles on Saturday, no problems.

Have to convince myself to sell the pre-gen, gonna miss the slow 14k rpm siren wail.  But I'm undoubtedly going to use the R3 every time, so ... ♫ let it go ♫ (you're welcome hahaha)

I think Sacramento PCP Motorsports has a demo FZ-07, they left a voice mail this morning.  I still want to try it, hopefully it's still there this Saturday.

you should be happy with the r3. for the money, it is outstanding. 
Dave
I really like it.  Much lighter, bit more upright (or shorter reach) and softer seat than 6R, 1st and 2nd are a blast around town under 50.  Spunky enough to comfortably hang in the freeway fast lane.  Strong head wind will challenge it around low 80s / 6th gear, needs 5th+6th gear if flying, but I cruise about 72.  Good enough for me to go about 35 miles occasionally.  I got almost 200 miles on Saturday, no problems. 
Have to convince myself to sell the pre-gen, gonna miss the slow 14k rpm siren wail.  But I'm undoubtedly going to use the R3 every time, so ... ♫ let it go ♫ (you're welcome hahaha)

I think Sacramento PCP Motorsports has a demo FZ-07, they left a voice mail this morning.  I still want to try it, hopefully it's still there this Saturday.

If you do hop on it, let us know how you feel about it. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Before putting your cash on any dealer`s table, check the Honda NC750X.

What I know about it (never rode one) and fits your needs:

- very low center of gravity -> very easy to handle
- it has some fairings that will be a blessing on the highway
- good torque at low revs
- decent looks

Check this review, part 1

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyhKpT7GGSI&nohtml5=False]

and part 2

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXO98jQKC_w]

This is one of the bikes I consider for my next purchase, along side the MT/FZ-07.

Downside - not as sporty as the FZ-07 :(

Ride Safe!

MT-07 Prospect

Before putting your cash on any dealer`s table, check the Honda NC750X.
I see NC700X for USA (670cc), but not NC750X (EU only? 745cc).

I've been chatting with a person from CL selling an FZ-07.  They are upside-down on their loan, and it would be better for me to buy new, so I'll trade them some gas money for 5-10 minutes on the bike.  But looks like rain next Saturday, so that may get postponed.

Dealer called and said he had a demo bike.  I asked, are you sure it's a demo bike, because I bought an R3.  He said actually we were just going to set one up for you, never mind.  Conversation was over as soon as he heard I bought an R3 already.

Yes, you are right, sorry for the confusion!

I noticed Motorcycles USA and other publications wrote articles on it a couple of years ago and I assumed it will hit your market too.

MT-07 Prospect

• 10 months later...

Update after a ~year, too many R3 recalls and teething issues, my particular R3 isn't working out well so far in the reliability dept, probably a one-off lemon.

Although I'm drooling over the shiny new Street 765, realistically I'll be shopping for a FZ-07 soon. For 2017, ABS is now offered but only for the red FZ-07. It'll be in its 3rd year -- how is the reliability track record holding up?

Besides the 2 recalls, what other issues are you having with the R3?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Besides the 2 recalls, what other issues are you having with the R3?

Mine is dying at idle the moment I twist the throttle, it idles fine, but as soon as the throttle is cracked open it's dead. So, I am restarting at stop lights often -- I cannot filter to the front and lane split from a stop, it's too dangerous as the bike is dead all the time. Also, it is spewing some amount of coolant from the radiator cap onto the inside of the right fairing.  Actually I was watching an R3 video on YT and noticed the same stall happened to the rider.  And there's a couple others in the R3 forum.  I personally think there's an ecu fueling issue.  No idea about the coolant thing though.  It's under warranty so I took it straight to Yamaha.  (There's also 2 more minor recalls coming, ignition and gas tank bracket.)

I have the means to buy an FZ-07, so I feel that it may be best to get the R3 repaired, and trade up for now.  From a first year R3, to a third year FZ-07.  So that's why I was asking how the last year has been wrt any FZ-07 issues.

I currently own an FZ-07.  Traded my R3 in on it.  Have also ridden an FZ6R and I didn't care for it.  Haven't ridden a ST.   R3 and FZ both great bikes but the perfect bike for me would be right between them!

I'm sure you really can't lose with any of those three choices - ST seems legendary based on reviews.

I like having the torque on demand in any gear the FZ has but not the brutal nature under acceleration where you have to be careful to not let the front wheel come up aggressively.  It was nice to be able to wring out the R3 full throttle and not worry about it.  I'm not interested in doing wheelies.  

R3:  More comfortable seat; just enough forward lean I had to make an effort sometimes to use core/grip tank to keep weight off my wrists, but not bad; great looking bike; fairings a pain doing maintenance; great price; got 60-62 mpg;REALLY nice instrument cluster, (best of any of the bikes I've ridden); very nice handling in medium to sweeper curves; but like the FZ with straight handlebars and torque better in the tighter stuff. S20 tires really transform the bike with more confidence in cornering and better ride feel going from the stock bias ply to radials - people who complain about suspension on R3 really need to change tires first - makes a big difference. 

FZ: Pretty awesome on tight mountain roads - torque is nice for pulling through and out of the tight twisties and dealing with traffic/idiot drivers; seat sucks; instrument cluster bleh; I get only 3-4 mpg less fuel efficiency than the R3 with twice the engine/HP/Torque - that's pretty awesome, don't know how they did that; nice to have more standard tire sizes for more choices and the tires last longer.  Seating position for me is perfect, with the exact amount of forward lean I like.  Felt a little weird at first coming off the R3 but that went away almost immediately.  
Now that there are lightly used R3s on the market for mid to high $3k range I think that would be best bang for the buck.  If you buy new the delta between R3 and FZ is not that much and the FZ offers a lot more performance.  If you live near the mountains the FZ will serve you better in the tight stuff.  If you commute a lot, do a lot of HWY and/or sweeper type curves - R3 may be better choice for that.  If you want to be a major hooligan - get the ST?

If I could go back and get my $3800 difference I paid on the FZ when I traded my R3 I wouldn't do the trade again.  I'm hoping Yamaha will put something out between them like a FZ450 or FZ-05?  Until then I'll keep riding the FZ7

If you want something sporty then I'd go the new R6 the R6 is the beast of the 600 world. No other bike has won as many championships and the new one has some serious improvements. Out of the box it's the best racer. It's buit to race and has all the features a race bike should.

If you want something more upright then the Fz 07. That's the reason I picked the 07 over the R6 but I'm moving to the R1 0r the R6 for my next bike. But for around town and such the Fz 07 is amazing. It's upright enough that I can cruise and relax and not have to worry. Where as the R6 cruising around with my back would destroy me after an hour. But I'm working on that, doing allot of stuff to work my back out. The R3 is a great bike. That's the bike my wife is gonna get after she learns to ride. It's got enough to keep up with me on the freeway and small and light enough she can really get to learn how to ride and gain the confidence she needs to ride well.
But in all honesty the FZ 07 is no joke I've raced ninja 650s and whooped the dog cap out of them. On the freeway where they can get to there top end they'd beet the Fz 07 but around town and stuff the 07 has the bottom and.mid range that just eats other bikes. That why the 07 does so well on the track. Now against the 09 well obviously. But if you want something you can easily cruise around town on and have fun but also want to play and tear it up every now and then then the 07 is a great choice. If you really want you can even by the Fz 07r body kit and give it the more agreesive look also get a good rear set that way you can change the footing when you want depending on what your doing. Just cruising around great you can keep them in the more relaxed position..going to the track you can move them back and your all set.

• 3 weeks later...
I currently own an FZ-07.  Traded my R3 in on it.  [...]  If I could go back and get my $3800 difference I paid on the FZ when I traded my R3 I wouldn't do the trade again.  I'm hoping Yamaha will put something out between them like a FZ450 or FZ-05?  Until then I'll keep riding the FZ7
Good news, I managed to coax my R3 into not randomly coughing/stalling, so I can stop cross-shopping FZ-07 / striple.  I cranked the idle bypass screws all the way down to entirely disable isc/iac, then I reset the idle with throttle stop set screw.  It seems to work wonderfully, no problems with rpm hunting, probably because it's a small engine and doesn't have a massive air intake, so the main butterfly is accurate enough to do the job.  Larger/performance engines will rpm hunt w/o the idle bypass, if I understand my research correctly. [Oh yah ... *California* model R3, apparently this makes a difference.]

I'm right there with you, I'd love to have an MT-03 that packed a premium sporty 400cc engine with more electronic goodies.  I don't think America is going to see a luxury small bike though, that kind of stuff just doesn't sell here.  And that 300cc BMW thumper doesn't count.

Husqvarna-401-Vitpilen-Concept-14.jpg
That looks nice and quick? 401 cc ??? I saw a husky whoop some ass in super cross last night! 

Beemer

Husqvarna-401-Vitpilen-Concept-14.jpg
That looks nice and quick? 400 cc ??? I saw a husky whoop some ass in super cross last night!
It has the Duke 390 engine

That looks nice and quick? 400 cc ??? I saw a husky whoop some ass in super cross last night!
Link to article? Is there an article? 

Beemer

Link to article? Is there an article?
Vitpilen 
Btw translated Vitpilen= white arrow, svartpilen= black arrow, its Swedish

hachirokutoy

It all depends what you want to use the bike for. It's better if to have multiple bikes if you can afford it. However, If it's just one bike get the FZ. When I had to consolidate my garage, I ended up going for the FZ because it's the most practical. It fulfills all my needs.

It's the best all rounder: torque, comfort, flickability, MPG and maintenance. MPG is up there with the small displacements, still is light which contributes to good handling, torque beats any inline 4 sports bike off the line on the street, and maintenance is super easy and low cost (valve adjustments at 25k I believe?). All those were factors I considered to keep a bike long-term.

Now for opinions on the different bikes, I've had quite a few bikes in my years of riding from 250 to 1000's. As everyone would say each has their pros and cons.
For small displacement bikes, I owned the Ninja 250, CBR250, Ninja 300 and R3 (and both generations of the CBR500). I loved the Ninja 300 the best. R3 is OK if you like the looks and don't want to do the valave adjustments that often.
For the Street triple, I never owned one, but I did test one out and was considering buying one used for around the same price of a new FZ07. MPG and service were the only things that kinda turned me off. Rather deal with Jap bikes although I've heard very good things about Triumph's reliability. If I were to invest in a Euro bike though, it would be a BMW.

Archived