The MT-07 Forum

Mr.Puss's Grand Unveiling!!!...of yet another custom FZ. (new pics incoming)

Mr.Puss

• Premium Member

Well done! It's a shame you couldn't afford the really expensive parts :D LOL (holy crap dude have you added it up yet? Your wife is a frickin' saint!)

I also dig the old "magnet on the oil filter" trick -- only way to get those damned stoplights to change!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Woah woah woah. "Magnet on the oil filter trick?" I must know more about this!
Get a big neodymium magnet.  Stick on bottom of oil filter.  Serves two purposes:  1.  potentially keeps metal shavings from the rest of the motor, and B.  generates a large enough magnetic field to trip stoplight sensors so that you are not stuck waiting for a light that never changes because you are not as big as a car (they work on magnetic fields, not weight)

Congrats on a job very well done @mrpuss!

It looks exquisite!

Are you getting it tested to see what you gained in performance with all these mods?

How about the battery/alternator (?), are they going to cope with all those extra lights?

MT-07 Prospect

• Premium Member
Congrats on a job very well done @mrpuss !  
It looks exquisite!

Are you getting it tested to see what you gained in performance with all these mods?

How about the battery/alternator (?), are they going to cope with all those extra lights?
Thanks! It was really satisfying seeing it slowly come together. Im not too concerned about eeking out a few numbers for gains, pretty content that it simply runs smoothly. I'll still add little performance enhancers just for the hell of it though. Going to enjoy it as it is for a while.
The lights shouldnt be a problem, the draw isnt too much. I read here that under 50 ?watts? or so should be fine, but of course thats just info from a couple of member's, but they seemed to know whats what regarding this bikes electrical, but we'll just have to wait and see. (fingers crossed)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Woah woah woah. "Magnet on the oil filter trick?" I must know more about this!
Get a big neodymium magnet.  Stick on bottom of oil filter.  Serves two purposes:  1.  potentially keeps metal shavings from the rest of the motor, and B.  generates a large enough magnetic field to trip stoplight sensors so that you are not stuck waiting for a light that never changes because you are not as big as a car (they work on magnetic fields, not weight)
I got the magnetic drain plug. I'll see if it picks anything up next oil change.

• Premium Member
I got the magnetic drain plug. I'll see if it picks anything up next oil change.
Really, it can trip stoplights too?  That is very interesting, I had no idea.  I had always assumed it was a specialized electronic type of device. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Really, it can trip stoplights too?  That is very interesting, I had no idea.  I had always assumed it was a specialized electronic type of device.
The plug? Lol no, but it should catch the shavings in the oil

• Premium Member

Well done sir! Really like the look of your bike! At night it probably looks like a UFO zipping around on the road! Dem lights!!

• Premium Member
Well done! It's a shame you couldn't afford the really expensive parts :D LOL (holy crap dude have you added it up yet? Your wife is a frickin' saint!) 
I also dig the old "magnet on the oil filter" trick -- only way to get those damned stoplights to change!
Thanks, my wife and I have worked pretty hard this year. She is pretty damn awesome, she didnt fuss one bit where my money was spent,  she did occasionally fuss at me for spending so much time working and researching on the bike.  That Rizoma thought, its hot stuff, I just couldnt help myself.  ;) 
Looking forward to modding which ever bike we find for her.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted more light in the front. I've tried LED headlight, brighter halogen, and HID and none of them give me what I'm looking for. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to steal the idea with the light pods right there. I would have never thought of that. Although, I don't think I could pay $500 for those haha. Thanks a lot man.

• Premium Member
I've always wanted more light in the front. I've tried LED headlight, brighter halogen, and HID and none of them give me what I'm looking for. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to steal the idea with the light pods right there. I would have never thought of that. Although, I don't think I could pay $500 for those haha. Thanks a lot man.
Yeah man by all means, thats why we're here, to share ideas. :) There are quite a few really decent looking pods available that are as bright for less $, I just wanted the build quality of the Denali. To mount them I just removed the front reflector bracket, hacked a bit off one end and remounted it on the upper rear fender bolt.
 Some other members have mounted pods to the frame (under the air scoops). I prefer the functionality and look of the fork mounted.

Whatever pods you go with you'll be really pleased with the additional light and you'll definitely be seen by the countless morons who cant/shouldn't drive. IMO one cant have too much light especially during the day. Just make sure you can toggle them on and off as they can be pretty damn potent at night.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

**Edit** @Frosty...actually Im noticing the modified reflector brackets with the weight of the double pods is causing it to bend a little bit over time, so obviously I need something thicker. Going to bend up a steel 3" angle bracket.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

@caliesv .... Here are the Ram mount bits I installed (Amazon drag bar) the other day. There is no visual interference with the gauge or knocking the tank during a full turn. Phone size is a Samsung S-3 - (3" x 5.5")

http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-plastic-double-socket-swivel-arm-with-1-inch-b-ball-rap-b-200-2u.html
http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-torque-0.75-to-1.0-in-diameter-handlebar-and-rail-base-with-1-in-ball.html
https://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-universal-x-grip-phone-cradle-with-b-ball-ram-hol-un7bu.html

[attachment id=1785" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1786" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1787" thumbnail="1]

@caliesv .... Here are the Ram mount bits I installed (Amazon drag bar) the other day. There is no visual interference with the gauge or knocking the tank during a full turn. Phone size is a Samsung S-3 - (3" x 5.5") 

http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-plastic-double-socket-swivel-arm-with-1-inch-b-ball-rap-b-200-2u.html
http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-torque-0.75-to-1.0-in-diameter-handlebar-and-rail-base-with-1-in-ball.html
https://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-universal-x-grip-phone-cradle-with-b-ball-ram-hol-un7bu.html

[attachment thumbnail=1" id="1785][attachment thumbnail=1" id="1786][attachment thumbnail=1" id="1787]

Cool man!

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

fix these pictures so I can have more reasons to spend money on my bike, please.  😁

• Premium Member
On 5/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, i28 said:

fix these pictures so I can have more reasons to spend money on my bike, please.  😁

Ah right, will do.  I guess the pics didnt carry over when this new site started. Gonna clean it up this week and Ill post some fresh pics, I've changed a few things since then anyway. 

• Premium Member
On 5/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, i28 said:

Whoops.... somehow I forgot I was going in to get neutered tomorrow....so no rear shock installation, or riding, or pics till next week.  Couch time with a bag of frozen peas. Wish me luck! 😬

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

Whoops.... somehow I forgot I was going in to get neutered tomorrow....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd be blocking that out too. 😱

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
On 5/7/2018 at 6:55 PM, DewMan said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd be blocking that out too. 😱

Not too bad. A couple minor "tugs" a couple wisps of smoke and voila de-nutted, so to speak. First time my fellows have smoked. =D 

Everyone's doin' it. 

4 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

Not too bad. A couple minor "tugs" a couple wisps of smoke and voila de-nutted, so to speak. First time my fellows have smoked. =D 

Everyone's doin' it. 

They're doin' it but are they diggin' it? 😬

Beemer

• Premium Member

I can't see the pictures on my phone or computer..Help anyone??

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Laben said:

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard

you're a popular man, Mr. Puss.

Nah, the pictures stopped working when the site was updated a few months back.

I'm sure Mr. Puss will probably update the stuff once he recovers from his ....ahem....

it is a sexy bike and worth the anticipation :)

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, i28 said:

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard

you're a popular man, Mr. Puss.

Nah, the pictures stopped working when the site was updated a few months back.

I'm sure Mr. Puss will probably update the stuff once he recovers from his ....ahem....

it is a sexy bike and worth the anticipation :)

13 hours ago, Laben said:

Yeah as i28 mentioned the pics got wiped when the site changed over to the new format. I didnt realize this until the other day so I'll upload some new revised pics but it'll have to be next week due to the bike needing a wash, work and.... that other thing. ;)

Archived