The MT-07 Forum

Tires

variant90

Just put a Pilot Power 3 on the back wheel of my buddy's SDuke1290R. The 1st 190 series tire I've done and by far, the easiest tire i've ever mounted - and I've been doing this for a long, long time.

The old one was down to the wear bars and was probably no more than 3mm thick in the middle. He was gonna push some more miles on it and was sure glad we changed it after feeling how little was between him ann a flat.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Just put a Pilot Power 3 on the back wheel of my buddy's SDuke1290R. The 1st 190 series tire I've done and by far, the easiest tire i've ever mounted - and I've been doing this for a long, long time.  
The old one was down to the wear bars and was probably no more than 3mm thick in the middle. He was gonna push some more miles on it and was sure glad we changed it after feeling how little was between him ann a flat.
Hey @rick, What tools do I need to do my own tire changes?  I'm thinking of trying that on my next tire swap. 

Why can't left turners see us?

I have a Harbor Freight stand that's been modified a bit. I've added these to protect the rims http://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoblocks.htm and use his lever for most of the mounting and dismounting http://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm I actually use a combination of levers and rim protectors to remove the 1st bead - old school, but I still find it easier.

I've built my own bead breaker and balancing stand.

On top of that, you'll need a supply of weights, a decent compressor with enough capacity to pop the beads up in place and I also bought a tub of water based lubricant meant specifically for mounting tires - it's crazy slippery. This stuff https://www.alltiresupply.com/products/concentrated-tire-and-tube-mounting-compound-8-lbs-pail?codesf=4793663400&gclid=CN2Xpej09c0CFVBZhgod_gUAKw&variant=16348140229 it looks like gelled murphys oil soap and will last me a lifetime.

A lot of this is technique, but having the right tools goes a long way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to start a new thread for the same answers so I'll ask it here.. What would we recommend as a great balance between grip in cornering and performance in the rain? I've been looking at the PR4's and have seen them mentioned, is there a better tire or is that a solid option? I'm not worried about cost or life of the tire, just the performance aspect in both traction in cornering on a dry road and in the rain. Kentucky is one of those "hotter than Africa out her- wait now it's raining" kind of states and I like being as versatile as the weather is unpredictable.

• Global Moderator
Hate to start a new thread for the same answers so I'll ask it here.. What would we recommend as a great balance between grip in cornering and performance in the rain? I've been looking at the PR4's and have seen them mentioned, is there a better tire or is that a solid option? I'm not worried about cost or life of the tire, just the performance aspect in both traction in cornering on a dry road and in the rain. Kentucky is one of those "hotter than Africa out her- wait now it's raining" kind of states and I like being as versatile as the weather is unpredictable.
I don't think the pr 4 can be beat when it comes to wet grip performance

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Also have a look at the new Pirelli Rosso III's 
- Paulie
So how do they stack up against the Dunlop Q3s? 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Q3's have more ultimate dry grip, but at the expense of wet weather capability and longevity.

I think the Rossi III's are a great all around tire.

If you wanted the ultimate tire for dry grip, it would have to be the Pirelli SuperCorsa SP. Same class of tire as the Q3, but have even more grip. More $$$ too tho.

I've had all three, as well as the Rossi II's.

Rossi III's are much closer to the Super Corsa SP than the old Rossi II's.

Since I now have a second set of wheels dedicated for the track with race rubber, I figured I'd try a tire that offers excellent performance in ALL conditions, not just ultimate dry grip.

The new Rossi III's fit that bill perfectly, and you can still do the occasional track day if so desired :)

- Paulie

Archived