The MT-07 Forum

Breaking in a helmet

jrhoyt84

• Premium Member
I used this sizing guide when I purchased mine a few years ago:

I originally got a Icon Variant, but my head shape did not fit this. I ultimately settled for a RF1200. Mine was broken in after about a month of weekend driving. It did not loosen up all that much as it still remains a snug fit on my head with no pressure points and little movement. The best thing I can recommend is go in and try on as many as possible. Then you can search for a deal knowing its fitted correctly.

Luckily for me these guys are local, and helped me get an Arai Signet-Q after I went in determined to get a Shoei.  Tried the Shoei on and felt pressure in my forehead.  With the Arai I felt none of that from the get-go.  Best decision I've made.  BTW the cheek pads will break in more than anything.  If the helmet is too tight on your forehead and the sides of your head, it's either the wrong shape or size.

I'd have held on to the helmet, before getting the replacement... unless you fitted the Arai already.

Yeah. Tried a signet on in a store. Much much better

• Premium Member

Your face shouldn't be touching anything, apart from the cheek pads and forehead pad!

Wore the new GT-Air around the house and felt too big! Good thing Revzilla is exchanging it with no problems!

forwardmotion

I bought an RF-1200 about 2 months ago. I was torn between a medium and large. I eventually went with the medium. It seemed very snug when I first bought it. So much so that I wore it around my house for 30 minutes at a time, multiple times to make sure that it wouldn't give me a headache and that I could stand it. Long story short, it fits fine now. It's still very snug, but I have noticed that it's fitting a little better after about 700 miles riding with it on. (not all at once - mostly commuting to work and back and some evening / weekend riding)

If you have the chance, visit your dealer and try on the medium to see how it fits since you know how the small fits. You'll now have something to compare the fitment to.

Also, here is a link to a Shoei helmet fitment guide:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Videos.aspx?v=17&tab=Tech_Tips

Hope this helps.

captainfz07

If changing cheek pad size doesn't do it, you are in the wrong helmet shape, you will know this because it can sometimes fit good on the crown of your head, but hurts around the cheeks. You are likely an oval or intermediate oval headshape. Try to test fit at a local gear store, it's important to do so to avoid shipping back and forth, such a hassle. Once you like the fit order the color and graphic, make sure to take jacket with you to check neck clearance when turning your head and also should clearance when looking back to check blind spots. I regret ordering mystery helmet online and hoping it fits after it is shipped. So help this tip helps :)

Archived