The MT-07 Forum

Is kerosene in the store fine for cleaning the chain?

ShiftHer

Is this type of kerosene fine for cleaning the chain? 

801G3.jpg

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/firewood-fire-starters-lighters/sunnyside-kerosene-2-5-gallons/p-1444444207128.htm

I've been looking around and have yet to find a gas station selling it at the pump anywhere near me. Growing up I remember seeing it all the time, but that was ages ago and in a different area.

I had some Honda Pro Chain Cleaner left from my previous bike that I was using, but I used up the last of it, so I would rather go the kerosene route now since from what I understand it's just as good if not better (and cheaper!).

• Premium Member

Yes but you pay more for it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

bmwpowere36m3

Kerosene, diesel, WD-40, specialty cleaners... they all work. Kerosene at the box stores is more expensive, but you don't use that much. Otherwise, good luck finding it at the pump (depending on where you live).

• 2 weeks later...

You won't really find kerosene at a pump, just get diesel at the gas station, 1 gallon should last you for many, many chain cleanings.

dentalprodigy

I bought it at Lowe's. They have moved it from outdoors section to the paint section. It was $10 bucks for a half a gallon/gallon of or something like that

pantheraleo

You can find it at Walmart in the camping supplies. I think it's like $5/quart.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• 1 month later...

I have a gas station near me that sells Kerosene. I havent been there yet so I'm not sure if its from the pump or if they sell gallons like this. I've seen many chain cleaners that say "o-ring" and "x-ring" safe. But is kerosene safe for the chain? And this is the first time I've heard of diesel for chain cleaning. Can anyone speak from experience?

• Global Moderator
I have a gas station near me that sells Kerosene. I havent been there yet so I'm not sure if its from the pump or if they sell gallons like this. I've seen many chain cleaners that say "o-ring" and "x-ring" safe. But is kerosene safe for the chain? And this is the first time I've heard of diesel for chain cleaning. Can anyone speak from experience?
Yep
it works just finea

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

Kerosene, diesel and Jet-A are almost the same. I have run jet engines on kerosene before.

• Global Moderator
Kerosene, diesel and Jet-A are almost the same. I have run jet engines on kerosene before.
screw it... head down to a powersports dealer and get some CH3NO2
also known.as Nitro-Methane

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Got one from left field for you.
If you can buy it where you are, Citronella oil ( bulk bottle stuff) added to kero will clean motor grease including chains like you won't believe. If you add a good squirt of dishwashing liquid and a bit of hot water to it, it will also hose off ( NOT TOO MUCH WATER PRESSURE or it will go through the chain seals) and leave a sparkling clean chain. In fact it is so clean that if you don't lube it straight away it will start to rust pretty quick if not a plated chain.
It does smell funny for a while if you don't use the detergent addition, but at least it will keep the mosquitoes away. Won't hurt anything either except maybe your grass.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived