The MT-07 Forum

Things Nobody Tells You When You Decide to Ride a Motorcycle

motomeek

• Premium Member
No one ever told me how to deal with the "Death Wobble". If you ever experience it, let off the throttle and stiffen your arms and push back on the bars when they turn in until it subsides. Then change underwear.
Good times. There seems to be various opinions on why this happens, were you able to narrow it down? 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.... and the two that are a reality for most if you ride long enough 
1. You will get a speeding ticket
2. You will wreck your bike

Not necessarily in that order

Somebody told me that years ago, and I know it was true for me, and most, if not all, of my friends.

Not a fan of hearing this one. Ive yet to have either. *knocks on wood

No one told me:

1. Talking to yourself is entertaining.

2. You notice other drivers movements and intentions (Matrix sort of power )

3. Find any/ every excuse to ride. ie: im ob my way to the gym now, babe.

• Premium Member
... and stiffen your arms...

That doesn't sound right to me, Beemer. Loosening your arms (and not fighting it) is what you're supposed to do from what I've read. I'll try and find some reliable articles on the topic soon.

Guest ChicagoAJ
That doesn't sound right to me, Beemer. Loosening your arms (and not fighting it) is what you're supposed to do from what I've read. I'll try and find some reliable articles on the topic soon.
Exactly this. Let go of the bars completely and any wobble will sort itself out in seconds, fighting it only makes it worse. 

I just read an article before posting that. I'll see if I can find it in my search history and put it up. I'm pretty sure they said to brace your arms or something to that affect to stop the left to right motion of the handlebars from getting too big and locking up to one side.

Beemer

No one ever told me how to deal with the "Death Wobble". If you ever experience it, let off the throttle and stiffen your arms and push back on the bars when they turn in until it subsides. Then change underwear.
Good times. There seems to be various opinions on why this happens, were you able to narrow it down?
I just recently read an in depth article on the causes of it and low tire pressure was just one of the causes. I'll try to find it again and put up a link. 

Beemer

I can't find it now, the history list is too long but I did find this so I'll just have to go with what they say. Maybe I mistook the firm grip for tensing up, IDK. Apparently I've made a mistake but thanks for pointing that out.  
http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-keep-motorcycle-doing-wheel-wobble.html

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
I just read an article before posting that. I'll see if I can find it in my search history and put it up. I'm pretty sure they said to brace your arms or something to that affect to stop the left to right motion of the handlebars from getting too big and locking up to one side.
Maybe they said brace your arms against the tank or something along those lines so you're able to safely let go of the bars while still having some kind of grip on the bike with your arms. 
I've read that the 07 and 09 has really bad speed wobble at higher speeds but I've never experienced it. I'm pretty lax on the bars though and usually just hold on with my knees and my feet on the pegs. 

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

no one told me i'd use 100 billion dollars in telecommunications gear to troll a bunch of scooter-n00bs on a motorcycle forum.

-HowWorkClutch

• Global Moderator
remove ubderwear and toss at ignirant driver...
going commando is worth it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Maybe they said brace your arms against the tank or something along those lines so you're able to safely let go of the bars while still having some kind of grip on the bike with your arms. 
I've read that the 07 and 09 has really bad speed wobble at higher speeds but I've never experienced it. I'm pretty lax on the bars though and usually just hold on with my knees and my feet on the pegs. 
It was probably something like this if I recall. "3. What you can do. When you feel your handlebars start to shake, 'grab them tightly' to hold on but do not fight the motion." 
Grab them tightly is probably what I construed as stiffen arms.

Beemer

It was probably something like this if I recall. "3. What you can do. When you feel your handlebars start to shake, 'grab them tightly' to hold on but do not fight the motion." 
Well ive been reading 'twist of the wrist'. They really preach being relaxed because the bike will naturally correct itself in most situations. Ive gone 108mph. w mine, no speed wobbles and often commute in highways.

That I should check the weather, frequently.. Before and during your ride. Been caught in a few nasty storms.

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

Guest ChicagoAJ
Well ive been reading 'twist of the wrist'. They really preach being relaxed because the bike will naturally correct itself in most situations. Ive gone 108mph. w mine, no speed wobbles and often commute in highways.
They have the whole Twist of the Wrist II movie on YouTube. I've watched it a few times, very informative and I do better with a visual than reading something.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIK0-n_ekw

• Premium Member

If one removes the Yamaha decal on the black tank side covers...I'm usally asked is that a Ducati or what!?!

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
 I experience the wobbles when I get over 100 mph on these Iowa roads. They are bouncy and rippley in spots which leads to very exciting cornering and riding in general.  
I generally relax my arms and grip the tank like i'm in a fight with a thigh-master. 

• 1 month later...
Guest ChicagoAJ

Keep cough drops safely tucked away in your cheek or under a lip. I damn near almost died last night when I hit a bump while breathing in and it almost went down the wrong tube. Luckily I was able to cough it back up.

Archived