F Trip Challenge!!!

jeffkisthename

AlbatrossCafe
http://i.imgur.com/OJBtxhC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hsqoPsu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Dgpx2Hw.jpg

Indicated MPG: 43.6
Calculated MPG: 48.9

I did one tank where I tried to get the best MPG possible. Ended up with 52.1 indicated by the FZ and 56.2 as calculated by miles / gallons filled. The problem was it was SO FREAKIN BORING I don't think I could ever do it again. Might as well put me in a Prius if I am going to ride like that.

I try to fill at the same few pumps as much as I can to keep it consistent. I have been tracking my mileage in a google doc since about 1k miles (at 11k now).

I could probably get higher F-trip length but I don't have the patience to cruise so "slowly" and rack up those miles. Need cruise control...

Guest ChicagoAJ
http://i.imgur.com/OJBtxhC.jpg http://i.imgur.com/hsqoPsu.jpg

I did one tank where I tried to get the best MPG possible. Ended up with 52.1 indicated by the FZ and 56.2 as calculated by miles / gallons filled. The problem was it was SO FREAKIN BORING I don't think I could ever do it again. Might as well put me in a Prius if I am going to ride like that.

I try to fill at the same few pumps as much as I can to keep it consistent. I have been tracking my mileage in a google doc since about 1k miles (at 11k now).

I could probably get higher F-trip length but I don't have the patience to cruise so "slowly" and rack up those miles. Need cruise control...

For the record, I get 63mpg in my Prius C I use for commuting, haha. After all the fast "race" cars I've owned, I wouldn't go back to anything like those cars ever again for daily driving. 

• Premium Member

I'm happy to see ppl push the F trip challenge but Im happy I can get to work 2 times from home just as the fuel bar starts blinking...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

http://i.imgur.com/OJBtxhC.jpg http://i.imgur.com/hsqoPsu.jpg

For the record, I get 63mpg in my Prius C I use for commuting, haha. After all the fast "race" cars I've owned, I wouldn't go back to anything like those cars ever again for daily driving. 

go back to the race cars and scrap the prius.. or just use the fizz
That 63mpg is bull anyway... as the engine isnt running 100% of the time
if it were youd probably only see about 27-31

Anyway my .03 spouted...

I'll be attempting this when i get a chance to ride the thing... money has been tight so ive been driving the car to pick up lyft rides...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Guest ChicagoAJ

@sorkyah - Why would I be running it at 100% all the time? In fact, why would I be running anything 100% all the time..? It's an excellent commuter and vacation machine. My girlfriend and I drove to Florida and back (to Chicago) for under $125 round trip. Only needs an oil change every 10k, it's saved me so much there's literally nothing I don't love about it.

Back on topic, it sputtered a couple times in the final turns to the station. This was all suburb driving, lots of red lights. All under 60mph, I had maybe another 5 miles until dead (just guessing). 

k4f9qa.jpg

jr47q0.jpg

2cofvyt.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ChicagoAJ
I better get out and put those last few miles on mine before filling up ;)
Haha, go for it. I was chugging along the last few hundred feet when turning.

bmwpowere36m3

Finished off the tank... well not totally. However the bike did start to hesitate every 1/4 mile or so. Pull into the nearest station.

3C4F57F9-893B-47AF-BE2B-7BEB0B6443EA.jpg

1569D66C-B0B3-44C7-97DF-77EABB922891.jpg

ADAE360B-1FE4-4644-8F27-ACDEF2433918.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Mr.BMW where is this 200 mile long continuous downhill road ....that's impressive 50miles on reserve!!!

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
@jeffkisthename - do you have the flash by 2WDW (or any fuel management for that matter)? I can't get anywhere near the f-trip mileage I used to get. Ran out of gas at 47 miles - luckily I was able to coast within 500 feet of a station then push it.
No and nope. I want a flash. No Mula for that atm.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Finished off the tank... well not totally. However the bike did start to hesitate every 1/4 mile or so. Pull into the nearest station. 
3C4F57F9-893B-47AF-BE2B-7BEB0B6443EA.jpg

1569D66C-B0B3-44C7-97DF-77EABB922891.jpg

ADAE360B-1FE4-4644-8F27-ACDEF2433918.jpg

Holy smokes!!!

• Like 1

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Well bump me off why dontcha...

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

AlbatrossCafe

I think you win. You gotta windscreen? Trying to figure how you get 54+ mpg unless you rode like a turtle for this tank. Maybe I am just too big for this bike for good MPGs. 
  • Like 1

Guest ChicagoAJ

I think you win. You gotta windscreen? Trying to figure how you get 54+ mpg unless you rode like a turtle for this tank. Maybe I am just too big for this bike for good MPGs.
Jump on the highway and cruise at 65mph in a tucked position. You'll get over 60mpg easily and probably 220 on a tank. My personal best calculated at the pump mpg was over 57, but that was the stock tune and putting around.  
@bmwpowere36m3 - is that premium gas 93 octane?! That's crazy cheap. 

twowheeladdict

Nice information to have. Should be more like 25 miles to empty though. Rarely do I find myself not within 25 miles from fuel. The first few times the F trip kicked in I found the closest fuel on my GPS even if it was the opposite direction that I was traveling since I didn't know how far I could go.

Now I know I can comfortably go 30 and not worry about it.

2015 FZ-07

I should have kept going. 41.2 miles on F trip, 188 on Trip 1, 3.2 gallons to fill up. Hand calculated mpg was 58.3 mpg. I commute with my bike and usually average 58 mpg.

• Like 1

bmwpowere36m3
Mr.BMW where is this 200 mile long continuous downhill road ....that's impressive 50miles on reserve!!!
Dunno ;)
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I should have kept going. 41.2 miles on F trip, 188 on Trip 1, 3.2 gallons to fill up. Hand calculated mpg was 58.3 mpg. I commute with my bike and usually average 58 mpg.
Was this recent? Pictures people! You could have been in 2nd by a hair!

SigSide.jpg

bmwpowere36m3

No windscreen and I weigh 185 lbs.  The fill-up was a mix of city commuting, highway and backroads carving.  Granted, my riding style isn't "pin it to win it".  I've been pretty busy remodeling my house, so finding dedicated time to hit backroads doesn't happen as often as l'd like.  I have to go out of my way to get real good riding around here.

bmwpowere36m3
Jump on the highway and cruise at 65mph in a tucked position. You'll get over 60mpg easily and probably 220 on a tank. My personal best calculated at the pump mpg was over 57, but that was the stock tune and putting around.  
@bmwpowere36m3 - is that premium gas 93 octane?! That's crazy cheap. 
Pretty sure its 91 octane, but I fill with 87 anyway.  For the most part 87, 89 and 91 octane is available in CT.  Some have 93 octane instead of 91 and some have both.  This is a Citgo near me... its E10 (regardless of octane), they have HUGE turnaround and generally the lowest price in the area.  Fuel is always fresh due to volume and I haven't had any issues running it in all my vehicles.  I try to fill up there when I can.

Yeah, gas has been pretty cheap this past year.  I remember when it hit $5+ a gallon for 89/91 about 2 years ago, IIRC.

Finally got tapatalk working so I can attach photos.
2d796822648c62994c037c0523ef1b72.jpg
57e36c34610b8ece662b926697d7773d.jpg

I filled up with 3.2 gallons so I bet I could have gone another 20 miles.
I have a givi screen, and a two brothers exhaust, that's it for mods that would affect mpg. And I'm 6'2" 190lb. I'm really surprised at how good the gas mileage is on this bike. I normally get 58mpg commuting, and I don't always ride it easy.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't ride like a turtle... but I do a lot of highway. It's not consistent though as I do a good chunk of it lanesplitting through horrendous traffic. I get 54+ MPG as well. I've calculated 60MPG before. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.