The MT-07 Forum

Battery maintenance over winter?

bansheeonfire

I have a battery tender... hooked my bike battery up to it 2 weeks ago... it greenlighted and to a fully charged storage state or status... that was 2 weeks ago... its still connected and greenlight status.. so for 2 weeks straight i have been connected... battery is cold to touch and the battery tender is cold to touch... no heat or signs of over heating coming from either... deltron battery tender 49.99 amazon... 5000 plus ratings and its still nearly perfectly rated. 
But i wouldn't ride with anything connected as it may draw or drain... maybe not but i wouldn't leave any open connections
That's what the good ones will do. The Battery Tender Jr. is less than half the price and will do the same job. 
The bike has a 400 watt charging system, so it's more than capable of running a heated vest/jacket and a GPS at the same time w/o issue. Start adding heating grips and extra lights, you could run the charge system into deficit - if you run them all together. . 

I didnt get the battery tender jr because the company said it is not designed to charge a car battery.. i had a truck with a dead battery... i knew reviving a dead battery after almost a month of it being dead is a long shot but i tried it and it did revive my truck battery... its definitely time for a new truck battery but i was able to get my truck started again... the jr. Is not for cars and i assume that most here have cars in addition to bike... i say just spend the extra few bucks and get the tender that will work on bikes. Cars. And light trucks

It would work, just take a long, long time as the output current is quite low. My garage is a glow with green lights with chargers on all 3 vehicles - all the time they're at rest. Considering the ice we have everywhere right now, not going nowhere today. .

I keep my batteries indoors over the winter. Rotate a ctek charger on them for a few hours each once a week. I use a couple chargers outside on mechanical timers. They come on for a couple hours daily.

I tend to avoid the really cheap maintainers unless they are on a timer. Don't want the charger to go haywire and overcharge the shat out of a battery. Do you hear me Canadian Tire Motomaster battery chargers?

• Premium Member

A 12 volt battery on a bike/car the amps are not too bad to take a hit. Its when you get into 480 or 4160 lol you might have a bad day, something about copper vaporizing make me uncomfortable haha.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived