The MT-07 Forum

Ready to do 1st service (600 miles), how come diff. prices?

asaulo1

Here is the service breakdown I got from the dealership I bought the bike at.  It seems to be generic to all makes of motorcycles.  There was an ATV list as well, but I'll spare you those details.   
$165 + parts (600 miles)
[ul type=disc][*]Replace oil & filter[*]Inspect valves. Adjust if necessary.  [*]Inspect/replace spark plugs[*]Inspect/adjust lube chain.  Replace shaft oil.[*]Inspect engine idle. Adjust if necessary.[*]Inspect brake system. Adjust if necessary.[*]Inspect clutch operation. Adjust if necessary.[*]Inspect nuts, bolts and fasteners.[*]Check tire pressure.[*]Inspect steering head bearings. Adjust if necessary.[/ul][div]

[/div]

Wow, that's a great big list of BS.  
Replace shaft Oil? I got robbed, mine didn't come with a driveshaft. Even if it had a driveshaft, that oil would never be replaced at 600 miles.
Seriously, the plugs probably get checked at 8k miles(?). and i think the 1st valve inspection is done somewhere in the 25k mile range - it's a yamaha. The engine idle is controlled by the ECU - they likely cannot do more than look at it. There's nothing to adjust with hydraulic brakes. Steering head bearings at 600 miles will be perfect unless a drunk assembled them at the factory. If yer not checking your own tire pressures regularly, you should be driving a car. 

So, what's left? oil/filter change and a TB sync. They should be able to do that TB sync w/o removing any panels or the tank (it's all about the tools and experience) in about 10 - 15 mins tops and maybe 10 more mins to do that oil change assuming they have a hard time opening the case of oil.

1 hundred bucks sounds fair for a good stealer. The oil and filter will be $45 or so. That leaves them $55 for one hour of their time, which is more than I make with my biochemistry degree and 40 years experience 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a filter, a gallon of oil for $18 and changed the oil/checked everything myself. Why bother with a dealership that usually charges around $90 hr.??? I can understand if your hands are broke but then again, why would you be riding with broken hands? (jk)  8-)

Beemer

I bought a filter, a gallon of oil for $18 and changed the oil/checked everything myself. Why bother with a dealership that usually charges around $90 hr.??? I can understand if your hands are broke but then again, why would you be riding with broken hands? (jk)  8-)
really cheap oil and especially cheap filters are just not worth the trip to the store to buy them. IMO.  
 I've seen aftermarket filters just fall apart, become unglued inside, or maybe never glued properly from the factory where they can't spell glue. I have a pict of the very 1st(and last) aftermarket filter I ever used for my Aprilia that did just this - the glue holding the paper to the metal ends failed. This is not what ya want with a new motor filled with teeny metal bits.

So unless it's OE or a filter company with a good reputation like K&N, (either can be had for around $12-$15 from Amazon), well, why risk it for 10 bucks more. Until mine is out of warranty, I'll use OE filters. Far less to needlessly argue about if something really crazy happens.   

I'm sure the "sync" is just making sure the throttle bodies open (or are open) the same amount. Check youtube for "carburetor syncing". I personally don't think it is necessary unless you're really hanging on the throttle and stretch the cable(s)!

I just got my FZ on tuesday and will be doing the service myself.

After the first 600 miles the oil only done every 4000 miles and the filter every 8000. I'm surprised they want the air filter changed every 24000! I will be using Yamalube and Yammie parts as well. A mechanic told me once (when I told him I was using 20w-50 in an old Supra) "Did you design the engine? Do you have an engineering degree? Put 10w40 like it calls for!" Kinda dicky but it stuck with me and he's right. 

It is important to use motorcycle specific oil.

pantheraleo
I'm sure the "sync" is just making sure the throttle bodies open (or are open) the same amount. Check youtube for "carburetor syncing". I personally don't think it is necessary unless you're really hanging on the throttle and stretch the cable(s)! 
I just got my FZ on tuesday and will be doing the service myself.

After the first 600 miles the oil only done every 4000 miles and the filter every 8000. I'm surprised they want the air filter changed every 24000! I will be using Yamalube and Yammie parts as well. A mechanic told me once (when I told him I was using 20w-50 in an old Supra) "Did you design the engine? Do you have an engineering degree? Put 10w40 like it calls for!" Kinda dicky but it stuck with me and he's right. 

It is important to use motorcycle specific oil.

I use Yamalube 10w-40. When purchased by the gallon, its 28 dollars shipped on eBay. Multiple sellers right now on eBay at that price.

K&N oil filters I got for 4 for 40 bucks....although I cannot find that listing anymore.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Sorry, but you need to do some serious reading about what this procedure does and the huge difference between FI throttle bodies and carburetors.  
For starters there's only one cable opening the throttle plates. The other cable is a return cable just in case the return spring breaks. The throttle plates are linked together by a metal rod that runs thru the TBs. They'll move in tandem regardless of how old those cables get. Stretched cables have nothing to do with this. It might be pertinent on an 80s vintage carbed bike that had a throttle cable with an adjuster going to each carb. But FI is a complete different game. Carburetors are so yesterday. 

At idle, the throttle plates are completely closed (no gap at all). The motor gets its air thru a valve generically called an Idle Air Control valve (yamaha has its own name). This allows air to bypass both throttle plates, into the manifold vacuum that's downstream of those very closed plates. Due to small manufacturing differences between the TBs, there must be some way to balance the air entering each cylinder at idle. This is accomplished with the idle air screws. Aka the TB sync screws.

With this motor, the left TB air screw is left closed and the right one is used to balance the air going to the cylinders at idle. This is what's done when the TBs are synchronized.

There are many of us who believe that out of sync TBs is the reason why many of these bikes are having stalling issues. Mine included.

If you aren't willing to give this a go yerself, have someone who owns the equip do it for you. It's easy to do and might just make yer bike run better. 

really cheap oil and especially cheap filters are just not worth the trip to the store to buy them. IMO.  
 I've seen aftermarket filters just fall apart, become unglued inside, or maybe never glued properly from the factory where they can't spell glue. I have a pict of the very 1st(and last) aftermarket filter I ever used for my Aprilia that did just this - the glue holding the paper to the metal ends failed. This is not what ya want with a new motor filled with teeny metal bits.

So unless it's OE or a filter company with a good reputation like K&N, (either can be had for around $12-$15 from Amazon), well, why risk it for 10 bucks more. Until mine is out of warranty, I'll use OE filters. Far less to needlessly argue about if something really crazy happens.   
I said I didn't take it to the dealer for the oil change to save money but what I failed to mention was I didn't buy cheap crap to save even more money. I did buy my oil and filter at the dealership. 1 gal. Yamalube and filter. Both recommended by Yamaha. This isn't my first bike.

Beemer

You got a gallon of oil and a Yamaha filter at the dealer for 18 bucks? Wow, I need to move.

Disregard rant. My apologies

ratherbebiking

I just got worked when I took my bike in for it's 1000km (600mile) service. I figured since the bike was new I would at least have the first one done by the shop. Oil/filter change, chain clean and lube and that is all I can tell. All the other BS they claim to at least look at an untrained monkey could do. They didn't do a throttle sync and claim they won't unless the bike is having issues (ie stalling). I feel abused...having changed filters and oil in probably 100 outboards and motorcycles I wish I had done it myself. Boy am I naive.

BTW... 2hrs about at 75/hr plus oil, fiter etc. I sure hope I get a customer service survey.

I just got worked when I took my bike in for it's 1000km (600mile) service. I figured since the bike was new I would at least have the first one done by the shop. Oil/filter change, chain clean and lube and that is all I can tell. All the other BS they claim to at least look at an untrained monkey could do. They didn't do a throttle sync and claim they won't unless the bike is having issues (ie stalling). I feel abused...having changed filters and oil in probably 100 outboards and motorcycles I wish I had done it myself. Boy am I naive. 
BTW... 2hrs about at 75/hr plus oil, fiter etc. I sure hope I get a customer service survey.

I never take my bikes to dealers. My bike mechanic does TB Sync for $65 and includes a chain clean, lube and adjust for free. I change oil and filter myself in 20 minutes .

Dealers are professionally trained on only one thing, how to spot a sucker and take their money.

I hope you get a T shirt and a hat. 

My guy in san diego, ivans fast bikes, changed oil, 10w-40 motul and tightened the chain. Then a Test ride like always. I asked about the tb sync he said it's running real well and no need. We'll check next time..65 bucks total. My bike has never stalled
or had any issues. Currently at 730 miles. My breakin was sunrise highway and borago springs s22. Love this bike coming from a wr250x..

• 4 weeks later...

Bought oil and filter..found a local mechanic...17 min charger a half hr but ....relied cause shop didn't line up good ....waxed the chain...tire pressure 40 on both and complemented me on breaking it in for my first bike...if their is a major problem I have the warranty. .other than that big garages will squeeze u out of pennies. ....oh 80 $a hr.....so I in all payed 85 but have enough oil for 2 more times...wich I'll be doing my self ...just that fires one...ps now my cluck is different again. New oil lol

uh, 40 psi front and back is too much pressure. The book (and the sticker on the bike) calls for 33 front and 36 rear. Riding alone, I put 35/38 in my Futura's tires, but that bike is 130 lbs heavier. Aprilia calls for 36/40 - I'll bump pressures up to those numbers if 2-up..

You'll be surprised at how much better the ride is with less air (measured cold, of course) in those tires.

• 9 months later...
Just bought my 2016 fz07 and the dealer wants $375.00 for the 600 mile check they're crazy. I'll be looking for a different shop.
They do laugh at us. 

[attachment id=1420" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

After checking my throttle body sync myself when I did my 600 mile service, mine did not need any adjusting. I don't know how poorly these bikes run when they do need adjusting, but I'm not convinced it even needs checked unless it is running extremely rough. Just to see how it acted when it was out of adjustment, I played around with the adjustment screw. I had to have it far out of adjustment to see a noticeable difference in "smoothness" at idle and revving it on the stand. I didn't actually take it out and ride it out of adjustment, but I have a feeling if the throttle body sync truly needed adjusted, a rider would know it or at least know something was wrong.

• Premium Member

Great thread! Ive been unsure of what to do until now. Thanks

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 4 weeks later...
You got a gallon of oil and a Yamaha filter at the dealer for 18 bucks? Wow, I need to move. 
Disregard rant. My apologies
(for the record) Haaaa, ha! That's real slick! You purposely disregarding the comma in my original post and slipped in an 'and' in it's place, which changed the meaning of my sentence, just so you could deflect your embarrassment onto me. Nice try, Slick.  :D

Beemer

• 3 months later...
johnydecali

Sooo.... For some reason I thought that the first service was needed at 1,000 mi... I'm at 900 mi... Nothing bad will happen down the road since I missed the 600 mi mark, right?

Or should I expect the bike to catch on fire and blow up in the future? <--- Sarcasm

Guest Ralph
Sooo.... For some reason I thought that the first service was needed at 1,000 mi... I'm at 900 mi... Nothing bad will happen down the road since I missed the 600 mi mark, right?  
Or should I expect the bike to catch on fire and blow up in the future? <--- Sarcasm
No but I would get the oil and filter changed as the first few hundred miles  are when most of the running in are done and you end up with bit's of metal from this and anything not
removed after the machining processes in the oil so well worth that first change.

We are lucky here in the UK they don't charge labor on the first service you only pay
for the service parts though some dealers don't charge at all as long as you bought
the bike from them.

I work in a car dealership and if you have a major mechanical fault they can decline warranty if you can't prove you have done regular oil changes. All you need is a receipt with oil and filter though. Just my experiences working in an automotive dealership. I'm getting my first service done at the dealer next week and I got quoted $220 labour plus parts. I think it's pretty steep but first service I'll suck it up and do my own maintenance from there on.

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

• 2 weeks later...
norcalnoob

Hey guys , new rider here. I am at 4xx miles on my new 16' FZ07... just scheduled my 600 mile service for a week from today

Quoted me $190 (2 hours labor) + $40 parts

Just an FYI

I keeps it real
Instagram: @mr_neeme

captainfz07

My first service was free at wheels in motion/yamaha dealer here in socal. They also do free chain adjustments any bike, courtesy to bring customers for future work :)

norcalnoob
My first service was free at wheels in motion/yamaha dealer here in socal. They also do free chain adjustments any bike, courtesy to bring customers for future work :)
Must be nice!

I keeps it real
Instagram: @mr_neeme

Archived