The MT-07 Forum

Jerky throttle?

level41

My 500 had a different power curve.
The torque was pretty normal at below 5.5k RPM, at which it sharply picked up.
Below 5.5k RPM it was more forgiving to throttle input, and I would dial in 10 degrees without cold sweat coming down my spine.

The FZ-07 has loads of torque right off the bat (@3k RPM).
But like said, with the 17t, I feel like I can dial in the throttle about 5-7 degrees, without problems.

• Premium Member

Its all about being smooth on the controls. Go to a parking lot, big and safe, and practice practice practice that throttle control. Compared to other machines I own and have ridden this bike is EXCEPTIONALLY smooth when ridden with a smooth right hand.

The stock throttle tube has a very small cam with lots of travel, it is very easy (with practice) to be smooth. It so small in fact a very common modification to these bikes is a larger one (from an r6) to make it faster with less travel. That is not what you need.

That said, here are couple things you should also check.

1. Chain slack, make sure you are on par with the user manual.
2. Throttle cable slack. Or lack there of. If your throttle cable is too taught or binding, it may be amplifying poor throttle control.

Keep us posted, and keep the rubber side down
~Pete

'16 FZ07

I agree. If you're knowingly giving this bike a lot of throttle and knowingly banging into 2nd a wheelie is no accident and you should've known a wheelie happening was a good possibility. Is this the main reason for the head banging, I wonder??? Anyway, stop blaming the bike.
No one is blaming the bike. And I'm using the throttle in matters of degrees, not tens of degrees, like on my 250/300/500cc bikes.

And I'm really not wheeling with precious cargo behind me. I try to ride very careful.
Sorry, I got the impression you had a problem with the bike. :-S  

Beemer

Seems like after a bit of hours in the seat, I have more a grip of what's going on.
Since I'm more used to torque picking up at higher rpms on most smaller bikes, and I have enough torque at 3k rpm, I mostly kept the bike between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm.
Not fully understanding how the bike delivers power,
This actually aggravated the whole situation.
You see, the bike's torque curve is pretty flat from 3.5k rpm onwards, but ramps up drastically from 2.4k rpm (where the bike barely has any acceleration power), to 3k rpm where it's almost running at full acceleration.

Not only does it give me a false impression, that the torque would linearly increase like it does in the beginning (if that were the case, you probably had a seriously dangerous bike at anything over 4k rpm), but it also kept me trying to accelerate between variable torque points.
If I instead would just continue accelerating to 4.5k or 5.5k rpm before shifting, I would notice that torque difference between these shifting points not only closer, but also is pretty much the same as at 3.5k rpm, making shifting so much smoother.
Instead, acceleration torque differs greatly under 3.5k rpm, and by trying to baby the bike, I make it much harder to keep acceleration smooth.

The bike does pick up on torque from 6k rpm onwards again, into territory where it could be dangerous, but only in 1st Or 2nd Gear.
In fact, after the 17t front sprocket swap, the bike handles so predictable, that I opened her up in 1st Gear, leaning over the handlebars, and though it shot forth like a rocket, my front wheel didn't come off the pavement at all!; which makes me believe that with stock gearing, it is impossible to accidentally wheelie in 2nd Gear, or higher.

When I read that the bike is a wheelie monster even in 3rd gear, I imagined rolling on the throttle, and the bike pushing up the front wheel involuntarily.
Now I know that nothing about that is involuntarily, and that you'd actually have to force the bike to wheelie, by pulling the bars, and distributing the weight to the back wheel, for it to pop up in anything but first gear stock.

Just a few drags at a clear strip told me the 17t is so safe, it is impossible to wheelie at all, unless you make effort to make the bike do a wheelie.
But when distributing the weight to the front wheel, it won't lift at all, not even in 1st Gear,at 8K rpm.

Just trying it out gave me more confidence, and peace of mind, and my fear would have been granted if the bike had a more linear power curve (which would pull HP and TQ values to 140 in the 7k range).

I hope now you understand where my fear came from. A bike of 400lbs, with 140hp and 140 lb ft of torque is catastrophic to ride.

Thank God this is only imaginary, as the bike is just tuned to have loads of torque at the low end, and not linearly climbs up to 7.5k rpm like it does on smaller bikes.

That being said, I probably would have been OK with an FZ-09, if it had a more linear power and torque curve.

You would kill yourself on a 09, and in this country you would not have been allowed to ride a motorcycle legally.

That being said, I probably would have been OK with an FZ-09.
Good stuff.

Hmmm...  I must ask, don't take this the wrong way.  Just a hunch.  Have you been diagnosed with a spectrum disorder or something similar?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Seems like after a bit of hours in the seat, I have more a grip of what's going on...
All that to say you're finally attempting to learn to ride. Neat!

"Now I know that nothing about that is involuntarily, and that you'd actually have to force the bike to wheelie, by pulling the bars, and distributing the weight to the back wheel, for it to pop up in anything but first gear stock."

Really? Why is it then from day one I could pull wheelies in 2nd gear without pulling on the bars or shifting my weight? Want some lessons in wheelies?

Beemer

"Now I know that nothing about that is involuntarily, and that you'd actually have to force the bike to wheelie, by pulling the bars, and distributing the weight to the back wheel, for it to pop up in anything but first gear stock." 
Really? Why is it then from day one I could pull wheelies in 2nd gear without pulling on the bars or shifting my weight? Want some lessons in wheelies?

His precious cargo behind him must have seriously big balls, there is no way in hell I would have gotten on that passanger seat.

Archived