The MT-07 Forum

Removal of Warning Sticker on fuel tank

Allan

This thread really caused fear and loathing prior to my attempts at removing the sticker.

I wasn't sure how things would go...at the best it would come off lickety-split... At the worst some random business mogul / tv caricature would get nominated to run for head of state.

90+ degrees, a wet towel, a credit card, some paper towels & goo gone later and that sticker was no more!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure this is the end of the internet (page 11 of this thread) ... but regardless, thanks for the laughs everyone. I am going to attempt the heat gun method to my 16 tomorrow.

I'll post results... haha

I keeps it real
Instagram: @mr_neeme

• Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure this is the end of the internet (page 11 of this thread) ... but regardless, thanks for the laughs everyone. I am going to attempt the heat gun method to my 16 tomorrow.  
I'll post results... haha
Dont do eeet...
ive got a lighsaber you can borrow... it'll cut that sticker out no issues

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I...I like the sticker. :(
You gotta give it up, man!  Or else things will turn out like 
Shut it all down. No more internets for the day.

I just used Goo Gone and a rag, came right off. Just do not get any goo gone on the black tank trim ring, it will turn it grey, ask me how I know :/.

• Premium Member
I...I like the sticker. :(
You gotta give it up, man!  Or else things will turn out like 
If that doesn't make you wanna get rid of that sticker, well... You got me!

Why can't left turners see us?

I really don't understand why this thread is so long lol.
It should be longer. Lol there is a lot of useful information here. :P

• Global Moderator
I really don't understand why this thread is so long lol.
It should be longer. Lol there is a lot of useful information here. :P
Loes... there is no useful information....
there is only cheese
and cheese is king

All hail the glorious gouda wheel

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
It should be longer. Lol there is a lot of useful information [span style=color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-family:sans-serif]
es... there is no useful information.... 
[/span]
there is only cheese and cheese is king

All hail the glorious gouda wheel
Ha, I respectfully disagree Sork, I think maybe  @joshv1030 won the thread with his turtlewax sticker/ goo remover, though there are definitely a few cringeworthy attempts posted. The egg and salt was a gooder.   

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Has anyone tried a small blowtorch to heat it up and peal it off? Or scrap it off with sandpaper and nail polish remover? ☺

Guest ChicagoAJ
I used a grill scraper and screw up,so I bought a new sticker :) .
I tried a grenade, ended up having to buy another bike because the only thing left after the blast was the sticker.

I used a grill scraper and screw up,so I bought a new sticker :) .
I tried a grenade, ended up having to buy another bike because the only thing left after the blast was the sticker.
I would have used C-4 for a more controlled blast  :)  .

So I am ashamed at myself currently. I used a heat gun and removed the sticker (that was easy, honestly just do that everyone)

I then used goo gone and got the glue off (also easy)

But then the outline of the sticker remained, and I made the horrible decision to use a little rubbing compound. Technically the compound did its job and knocked that area down but now I have to figure out what polishes/glazes I need to use to build that surface back up as its currently finely scratched

FML

I keeps it real

Guest ChicagoAJ
So I am ashamed at myself currently. I used a heat gun and removed the sticker (that was easy, honestly just do that everyone) 

But then the outline of the sticker remained, and I made the horrible decision to use a little rubbing compound. Technically the compound did its job and knocked that area down but now I have to figure out what polishes/glazes I need to use to build that surface back up as its currently finely scratched

FML
Meguiar's color restorer. I love that stuff. 

pineappleunderthesea

FML
What I would do is buy another sticker and place it on the other panel.  Wait a few days or so, then remove it with a heat gun, goo gone, and use the same rubbing compound to remove the outline.  And voila!  Now you have an identical set of fine scratches on both sides of the bike, that way it perfectly symmetric and pleasing to the eye.  Couldn't be simpler!

FML
You the man. Thanks for the tip - I shall try this. (Assuming you mean this exact product: https://amzn.com/B0002UQAN4 ) Thanks for the tip - by the way I just moved from Chicago (lived there for 8.5 years) 

I keeps it real

Guest ChicagoAJ
You the man. Thanks for the tip - I shall try this. (Assuming you mean this exact product: https://amzn.com/B0002UQAN4 ) Thanks for the tip - by the way I just moved from Chicago (lived there for 8.5 years) 
That's the stuff. I have a bottle that's about 6 years old. Every time I need to bring some color to some washed out, dull spots it works perfectly every time. Might need to use a thicker compound to get out the fine scratches though if this doesn't work. I like Nu-Finish for that. I usually do Nu-Finish first, then polish with this stuff. Most of the time the spot I work on looks better than the rest of whatever I'm working on, haha. 

That's the stuff. I have a bottle that's about 6 years old. Every time I need to bring some color to some washed out, dull spots it works perfectly every time. Might need to use a thicker compound to get out the fine scratches though if this doesn't work. I like Nu-Finish for that. I usually do Nu-Finish first, then polish with this stuff. Most of the time the spot I work on looks better than the rest of whatever I'm working on, haha. 
I was about 5 seconds away from driving up to the local detail shop but I think I'm going to take your advice here. Thank you

I keeps it real

Guest ChicagoAJ
I was about 5 seconds away from driving up to the local detail shop but I think I'm going to take your advice here. Thank you
Let me know how it works for you! 

Side note: Do not do this if you have the matte silver panels. Clean them with a matte paint cleaner or just some soap and a paper towel. 

No no, just the gloss black part of my tank where the ridiculous warning label was. 

I keeps it real

Archived