The MT-07 Forum

Issues with rear brake (possibly bleeding)

i28

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
I don't have the time yet to do what @rick suggested but a quick question since @snowdriftless brought it up. I initially thought the bolt on the front of the caliper may have almost been crossthreaded when I was putting it back on but I stopped early, double checked and it looked normal. I'm wondering if I've got the same issue you had.
I had installed new brake pads correctly, I thought I had even double checked, but after one ride they had fallen out of place. Wondering if it's because of the misalignment because of the bolt. Here's a video of the movement of the caliper:

Is there too much movement in the caliper or is this normal? thoughts?

That looks just like mine did. If you will notice the calipers twisting not sliding.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

If you have air still trapped and that's the reason for your spongy brake, try to push the brake piston all the way in. This has always helped me get rid of trapped air. Air will want to go up, and the rush of fluid going up to the master reservoir will always, in my experience, drag the air with it. Use the pedal to pump the piston back out and against the pad/disc and see if things have sorted themselves.

Sorry, I got really busy today and forgot to take a look at the bike while I was at work. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Soooo.... @i2837856393  did you get it fixed? My caliper was toast after I cross-threaded the bolt, and I took it to the mechanic to get it fixed.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

Solved my issue... it was because of the threads on the caliper.

Ended up buying a caliper off ebay (for $16 shipped) and switching it out... what the threads should look like:
IMG_1168.jpg

What mine looked like:
IMG_1167.jpg

Another view of mine:
IMG_1174.jpg

because my caliper was crossthreaded where the front bolt goes, it allowed the caliper to twist a little instead of pushing the pistons directly into the brake pads (see the video I posted earlier).
When I put the new caliper on and hit the brake pads, I noticed it wasn't moving as much (or in the direction) as the previous caliper was.
Seems like I'm not the only one who has had this issue before so be careful if you end up taking off the rear caliper.

Thanks to everyone who helped. :D

You should be able to thread any and all caliper bolts pretty much all the way home by hand. If that doesn't happen, stop and find out why - don't use force to drive a bolt home.

Sometimes turning the bolt backwards will let you feel where the threads match up. I'll do this with sheet metal screws all the time to help prevent them from cutting new threads in an already thing piece of whatever.

And then there are torque wrenches. When I was younger, everything was either steel or built much heavier, so I rarely bothered with torquers. Been turning wrenches for 50 years and can probably get away w/o, but I use them pretty much all the time now.

I've seen big strong guys at the track using 1/2 drive breaker bars and large helpings of forearm to tighten caliper bolts. I just have to look away.

You could have fixed that

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
You should be able to thread any and all caliper bolts pretty much all the way home by hand. If that doesn't happen, stop and find out why - don't use force to drive a bolt home.  
Sometimes turning the bolt backwards will let you feel where the threads match up. I'll do this with sheet metal screws all the time to help prevent them from cutting new threads in an already thing piece of whatever.

Lesson learned. Initially I checked and (I thought) the bolt still fit in place well and I figured I hadn't messed it up too bad... but... things happened ;-|

Probably but I just didn't have the time to learn right now and wouldn't have been confident about having it fixed (even by someone else).

Probably but I just didn't have the time to learn right now and wouldn't have been confident about having it fixed (even by someone else).
Hey I get it, it takes time, but wit the right mentor you will understand 50% of the ride is working on it.  Just my opinion.  Not sure where you are at, but I would had showed you how.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived