The MT-07 Forum

Crashed My Baby. *Pics inside*

Dustin Coffey

Dustin Coffey

UPDATE; All exciting and wonderful things. 

Heidi has been doing well and is coming up on her 8,000 miles checkup. I've got a rear fender delete put on. Put on a replacement mid-pipe after it failed for some magical reason, a new canister is in the mail. I also learned that my two stock exhaust hears both hair hairline cracks in them so I have to deal with that. I'll probably use J-B Weld 37901 ExtremeHeat Metallic Paste Adhesive and then header wrap the headers.  

I bought the bike in Sept 17", and gave it it's first bath today. 

b8j1PtG.jpg

9YhgZeA.jpg

G4ZBOFX.png

Dustin Coffey

Does anyone know if the stock exhaust header pipes are aluminum or Austenitic stainless that is coated? They exhibit no magnetism so I'm assuming they are aluminum being that it is lighter and cheaper than stainless, but I thought I would ask. I was thinking about welding the cracks in the headers; however, the material is exceptionally thin and I fear I would burn through it easily. 

Would you guys attempt to fix the cracks with the aforementioned JB weld product? Buy a junk exhaust system off eBay for the header pipes, or try and send back the new cannister for the slip-on for a refund, and buy a full system. I really like the look of the SC Projects exhaust or the Akra Carbon. 

Thanks all. I'll see if I can update with photos of the cracks. 

• Premium Member

You're the first person I've heard having issues with cracked headers on an FZ/MT-07.  Not saying it doesn't happen but I'm guessing it's rare. A new set of headers would be my preference.  JB weld would probably not stop the spread of the cracks very well. I'd want them welded up at minimum. But that's just my opinion. Good luck to you. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
On 2/16/2018 at 12:53 AM, faffi said:

You can straighten the stanchion in an hydraulic press - I've straightened much worse.

Where would one go to get something like this straightened? I'm waiting on my triple stand attachment to come in to pull the forks, I know the right hand side stanchion is a little bent due to how its lining up with the fender. the left looks fine. I mean if it wasn't for the fender it would hardly be noticable. I don't have a hydraulic press nor do I know anyone with one, so who would be the right person to seek out to perform this work, and what kind of price $$$$ should I be looking at. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just so I'm clear, I'll be pulling both and checking both to be sure that they're True. 

• Premium Member
On 11/7/2017 at 10:34 AM, DewMan said:

I found it invaluable when doing my fork upgrades. Best of luck to you.

What upgrades did you do? If its posted somewhere else and I missed it I apologize. I'm interested to know what you got up to!👍 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, fzar said:

What upgrades did you do? If its posted somewhere else and I missed it I apologize. I'm interested to know what you got up to!👍 

I did Bitubo Fork & shock upgrade as mentioned here a while back. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived