The MT-07 Forum

Rear brake rotor edge rubbing

AlbatrossCafe

Gregjet:
I get it, I have personal experience on asbestos in CCM, sat in many, many BLM, EPA and Public meetings with science being wrong by the EPA and being debunked by actual science.  I was exposed in San Fran on market street,years back.  That was my first experience when I went straight to the CDC for information.  The hysterical and hysteria with regards to asbestos is bogos we are exposed to asbestos in just about any area.  Our back yard dirt has it, in short what I was told was unless I have injected it smoked it, breathed it like a dust storm my chances are zero to none.  The CDC states I was shown was simply this.  Out of all of the recorded ship yard WWII cases studied 95% of those smoked cigarette!  so that actually left 5% with actual Mesothelioma.  Is it real yes I wont deny that, is the hysteria real yes, In my case I was almost fined, lectured by the building engineer, the SFFD, and evacuated a floor all because there was no asbestos warning sign in the engineering room and no engineer around to advise if the building in fact had asbestos.  When I say BS I mean the same BS as the libtard anti gun bullshit BS

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Lost a good motorcycle friend from asbestosis at the age of 65, his dad was a plumber and when he was a kid he mixed the bags of asbestos to make the plaster for steam pipes etc. Hard to watch and ugly way to go. They took asbestos out of car brake parts many years before aviation pads which I frequently blew the dust out of with an air hose without thinking. 

On 4/10/2018 at 7:29 AM, rick said:

As the real stopping power comes from the front, now you need to learn how to use them more and give the rear pads a break. .

My Aprilia is now 16 years old. I've been thru 3 sets of front pads - but still on the OE rear ones!

I find rear pads to be a pita to replace sometimes. The front ones are almost always easier. One little trick to aid in getting the piston back in - put a hose on the bleeder to collect the fluid, and then crack it open a bit. This will allow the piston to be pushed in easily.

Yer probably due for new brake fluid anyway.

Let me also suggest a box of nitrile gloves 😉

^ All great advice!

I hesitated to say this earlier because I didn't want you to worry, but in the future, clean those pistons real well before pushing them back in to their bores to prevent pushing dirt back inside your calipers/piston seals. Road grime and brake pad material accumulate on them and is pretty abrasive stuff. Personally, I use mineral spirits and a paint brush to clean them. The soft bristles of a cheap paint brush aren't strong enough to accidentally push any debris into the seal. The mineral spirits won't harm the seals, it won't harm paint if it drips, it dries quickly and it makes stuff like that just melt away. I learned this the hard way myself...

7 hours ago, markstertt said:

Lost a good motorcycle friend from asbestosis at the age of 65, his dad was a plumber and when he was a kid he mixed the bags of asbestos to make the plaster for steam pipes etc. Hard to watch and ugly way to go. They took asbestos out of car brake parts many years before aviation pads which I frequently blew the dust out of with an air hose without thinking. 

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your freind.  My dads god father died of it.  He worked the ship yards smoked like a chimney stack and was one hell of a cabinet maker.  All that saw dust, no resporator, smoke and the yards, well I will make my point.  Way back when knowledge of these things were pretty much ZERO, we had our kids exposed to such things, led paint, second hand smoke, pesticides etc, etc, etc.  I guess that is the prce we pay for ignorance right?  I am not so sure, I mean today we know better, but ignorance stems from lack of knowledge and back then there was none.  Take smoking today, now we know and if a person so chooses to smoke, I dont care, but its there choice if they die of lung cancer so be it, there choice. 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

AlbatrossCafe
12 hours ago, shinyribs said:

^ All great advice!

I hesitated to say this earlier because I didn't want you to worry, but in the future, clean those pistons real well before pushing them back in to their bores to prevent pushing dirt back inside your calipers/piston seals. Road grime and brake pad material accumulate on them and is pretty abrasive stuff. Personally, I use mineral spirits and a paint brush to clean them. The soft bristles of a cheap paint brush aren't strong enough to accidentally push any debris into the seal. The mineral spirits won't harm the seals, it won't harm paint if it drips, it dries quickly and it makes stuff like that just melt away. I learned this the hard way myself...

lol I knew I should have done something like that. I even had brake cleaner right there. I'll make sure to do it for the fronts at least.

Back on the original subject. Your pad backing plates had been scouring the discs ( there is wear on the backing plates). The new pads are going to wear wierd. Should have really checked the disc thickness and flatness as well. Here is a pic of a GS500 rear caliper I bought as a project bike that had been owner by a "butcher"...

Also. Rear pad wear is often caused by having the rear brake pedal too high so your foot is resting on it all the time and drags the brake. Another case of not adjusting the bike to the rider. It needs to sit with the underneath of your boot about a cm above the brake in your natural sitiing position. Often it can be very difficult to get it there. Don't forget to re adjust the brake light switch so it isn't always on if it doesn't have a pressure switch ( I have forggoten what the 07 has, haven't had a chance to work on it for a while). The bike fit is designed for short asian legs so the brake tends to sit too high for most European origin people.

P4170006.JPG

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

8 minutes ago, gregjet said:

Back on the original subject. Your pad backing plates had been scouring the discs ( there is wear on the backing plates). The new pads are going to wear wierd. Should have really checked the disc thickness and flatness as well. Here is a pic of a GS500 rear caliper I bought as a project bike that had been owner by a "butcher"...

Also. Rear pad wear is often caused by having the rear brake pedal too high so your foot is resting on it all the time and drags the brake. Another case of not adjusting the bike to the rider. It needs to sit with the underneath of your boot about a cm above the brake in your natural sitiing position. Often it can be very difficult to get it there. Don't forget to re adjust the brake light switch so it isn't always on if it doesn't have a pressure switch ( I have forggoten what the 07 has, haven't had a chance to work on it for a while). The bike fit is designed for short asian legs so the brake tends to sit too high for most European origin people.

P4170006.JPG

That is the worse I have ever seen. 

r1, I suspect it may be the worst ANYONE has seen! pad backing plate was worn THROUGH. I didn't take a picture of it.

Oh yeah the rubber seal was MELTED...Can'tr figure out why ( That's sarcasm for those unaccustomed to such things who may be reading)...

On 4/11/2018 at 6:22 PM, gregjet said:

R1,

The whole asbestos thing definitely is not BS. The problem is the same as the panic from saying all fats are dangerous. Easy to whip up alarm. We now know all fats are not the same and a whole heap are actually good for you.

Asbestos is from the family of minerals called the zeolites and a sub group thereof. There are really nasty asbestos and perfectly fine asbestos. Unfortunately politicians are not very smart and like causing fear . The Australian asbestos from the Wittenoon area was blue asbestos. Deadly. Huge number of asbestos related deaths etc. Blue asbestos. Short monoclinic( needle shaped) fibres. Unfortunately Australia exported it all over the world...

The big problem is that most asbestos products you don't know which one is in them. And while they are bound in a matrix they are perfectly fine.  The Clear Creek stuff is long fibre white asbestos and a lot less prone to microfirbring and associated danger.

Like radiation poisoning not all people are vunerable. The problem is of course we don't know who is and who isn't.

I was with ya until the last sentence. As a biochemist and molecular biologist for some 43 years, I'm gonna suggest that radiation poisoning kills pretty everyone the same..  

Rick, I was watching a science program recently and they mentioned that some research had shown that there was huge variation in the effects of radiation long term on the population of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, even from people in the same room of the same family.

I also remember seeing an article in either New scientist or Australian Scientist that environmental exposure to low level saying something similar especially in relation to cancers. I think it was in relation to radon exposure in water supplies but can remember exactly.

And in relation to chemical susecptibility ( which admittedly asbestos isn't. It is a mechanical process, dependant on the crystal shape, size and insoluability) a similar comment in relation to exposure to a fire fighting chemical in the water supply in a small airforce town in the water supply.

Sorry to stray but I have to ask due to my exposures and lack of knowledge but are fiberglass or carbon fiber fibers as harmful to our lungs as asbestos fibers? If not then can someone explain why? Thanks

All fibres CAN be hazardous.

Asbestos , particularly the short fibre stuff if reasonably unique in that the monoclinic crystals can be insanely thin and sharp and very tiny. They are also very dense so hard to move physically ( being a very long chain multimetal hydrated silicate). The cells in the lungs charged with cleaning up the garbage that gets into them , have a lot of trouble trying to remove the particles as they puncture the cell walls when the cells  absorb them. That is the method of removal: Find foreign object, absorb, move to waste area and either die or expel insoluable object. The repeated damaging appears cause mutation over a long period. At least that is how I saw it explained a while ago. More recent research may have a later explanation.

Fibreglass has a more chemical degradation process similar to miners silicosis. The silica is marginally more soluable.

Carbon fibre is certainly capable of doing similar damage , at least theoretically. Even at small size it may be flexible enough to do less damage. It has been around long enough in the aircraft industry for problems to show up , but I haven't seen any stats on post carbon work diseases. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen any.

Boron nitride fibres scare me more, but I have seen no stats on that, and because it is used in military stuff, any death resulting have almost certainly been covered up.

Kevlar actually degrades with continual exposure to water so may be a lot safer. Innegra is strong and stiff only in tension. Also breaks down under UV, so exposure is possibly a lot less problematic especially as dust.

Okay, so worried but maybe not as worried about the fiberglass type products but will try and limit exposure in the future. Thanks gregjet for the info.

Archived