The MT-07 Forum

DNA air filter causing redline issues around 4k RPM

wied

Just installed my DNA air filter and after riding around i have now noticed i lose power in the mid range around 4k it begins to *redline* like almost a a govern was put on it. and then once i continue to pin the throttle it will break the 4k barrier and then speed up, but then lose power again. i do not have the stage 2 installed, it's just the air filter sitting in there. the bike is not tuned but i do not think this DNA air filter would cause such a loss like this i would need a tune immediately.

also another note i can cruise around just fine before 4k and experience no issues. it's just when i get on the throttle and try to push past 4k is when i experience this issue.

Put the old on back in and see if it runs the way it should, if no then something you took apart is not put back.  Check all cables, plugs air routes etc.  A air filter will not do what you are describing, unless of course the filter is clogged up with filter oil and or over saturated

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

what gear are you in when you attempt to pin the throttle from 4k rpms? 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

21 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Put the old on back in and see if it runs the way it should, if no then something you took apart is not put back.  Check all cables, plugs air routes etc.  A air filter will not do what you are describing, unless of course the filter is clogged up with filter oil and or over saturated

i planned on doing that tomorrow and seeing if it changed anything. just a note that i did not add the snorkel back on top of the new DNA air filter, the DNA is just sitting in there.

2 minutes ago, wied said:

i planned on doing that tomorrow and seeing if it changed anything. just a note that i did not add the snorkel back on top of the new DNA air filter, the DNA is just sitting in there.

You at least screwed it down in place right?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

3 minutes ago, r1limited said:

You at least screwed it down in place right?

yes it's screwed down guess i should have specified lol.

12 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

what gear are you in when you attempt to pin the throttle from 4k rpms? 

it happens in every gear.

You didn't take the snorkle off and it dropped in the airbox did you? Don't laugh...heard of it happening before.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

31 minutes ago, gregjet said:

You didn't take the snorkle off and it dropped in the airbox did you? Don't laugh...heard of it happening before.

Oh shet that reminded me when I put my fresh R5/TR3 speced moter back together, I started to kick it over a and noticed the cir clips on the tac 👉😖👈 what a dumb arse I was.... I was dang lucky it did not start I just put a few paychecks in that motor.  I mean I gave up beer for a week to pay for that motor

1 hour ago, gregjet said:

the snorkel isn't attached to the filter so no i didn't drop it in there. I'm about to put the stock one back on and see if there's a difference. 

and to actually further add to this scenario it's much deeper in the RPM range i'm experiencing this problem. more around 7-8k and not the 4k as before.

• Premium Member

To be honest...I'm a bit confused... so to help out, is it possible we can get a video with sound? 

Bad gas from sitting all winter or from a can sittimg around?

Wrong gas?

Check all cables, saftey switches, connections...

Key switch?

Gummy starter/kill button? 

Any wiring/electronic jobs done recently?

To name a few ideas...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

here is how the stock filter sits, if you see i cut out the snorkel because i stripped one of the side bolts that connect the gas tank and this was my only way of getting the thing out. the DNA filter sits in there exactly the same with the cover on top. i have tried it without the cover as well and yielded the same results. 

i'll try and make a video on it, it has to be fuel issues maybe somehow it's running too lean or too rich to when i get on the throttle it gets choppy but i haven't done anything to this bike except for the filter and a slip on, but I've been running the slip on for over a year now.

While i was waiting on the DNA filter to come in i took off the brake/clutch lever to paint them but i couldn't think I caused an issue with that.

It's been through 3 tanks of gas now since the winter so it can't be an issue there. always run premium 90 grade+

no wiring/electronic jobs done.

IMG_1798[1].JPG

• Premium Member

Is the o2 sensor still installed?

2 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

As well connected properly.  Going ver the electical O2, throttle bidy sensors all of them ensuring you did not know one off.  Since the issue is the same with stock it aint filter as suspected, I suspect there is more t the story....

5 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

it is still installed. i have a video on my phone right now of it, let me upload it to youtube and get the link sent out.

Sounds like your clutch is shot, first run your hitting redline, period end of that story, second run it sure sounds like your clutch is burnt fried kapute or when you took it all apart you have it completely misadjusted,

bike barely has 5,000 miles on it i can hardly see it being a burnt up clutch considering i can get in out and gear just fine and it shifts smooth. 

31 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Sounds like your clutch is shot, first run your hitting redline, period end of that story, second run it sure sounds like your clutch is burnt fried kapute or when you took it all apart you have it completely misadjusted,

also i've barely ridden but 10 miles with the bike like this.. so i'll look into the adjustment.

6 minutes ago, wied said:

bike barely has 5,000 miles on it i can hardly see it being a burnt up clutch considering i can get in out and gear just fine and it shifts smooth. 

That rapid climb form 4k up the clutch is not adjusted, it may feel right shifting and taking off but you go something out of aligmnet as when the motor rev's up it certain sounds like your clutch is slipping.  That motor should not rev that quick under load as it is in the vid

3 minutes ago, r1limited said:

That rapid climb form 4k up the clutch is not adjusted, it may feel right shifting and taking off but you go something out of aligmnet as when the motor rev's up it certain sounds like your clutch is slipping.  That motor should not rev that quick under load as it is in the vid

just saying that this problem didn't happen before i took the clutch and brake off, and before i replaced the filter. so there for I highly doubt the clutch is bad.

21 minutes ago, wied said:

just saying that this problem didn't happen before i took the clutch and brake off, and before i replaced the filter. so there for I highly doubt the clutch is bad.

Key Words in red

What I am telling you is you have your clutch adjustment wrong.  per the video, as I clearly stated, you hitting redline and the sound the motor is making is a clutch that is slipping it revs far to quickly and there is no load and I can tell just by the visual of your tac.

Archived