The MT-07 Forum

Is this why the best brand is bland?

faffi

I think few will argue that when it comes to build quality, Honda generally rule at the top. They are also typically considered as a bit bland, too perfect, too polished. I often feel that, too. It's like the perfect body; beautiful, but not exciting or interesting.

Be that as it may, you can see on this graph who bothered to do their homework and who said this is acceptable, let's hit the pup early:

Effektkurve CB1100EX.png

I understood that Yamaha is the brand sought for quality parts and reliability now (must have read that somewhere). For me, Honda designs rarely seem to invite further enquiry - like their cars. But they still sell millions of stuff more than others. Of all their bikes, their latest Rebel 500 is the only one that has my interest, not quite but almost to the point of considering a purchase. 

Just do it! 

33 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

I understood that Yamaha is the brand sought for quality parts and reliability now (must have read that somewhere). For me, Honda designs rarely seem to invite further enquiry - like their cars. But they still sell millions of stuff more than others. Of all their bikes, their latest Rebel 500 is the only one that has my interest, not quite but almost to the point of considering a purchase. 

I've also seen the chart with repair percentages for almost every big motorcycle manufacturer but I cant find it now.
Here is the similar chart -> https://rideapart.com/articles/most-reliable-motorcycles

I remember some of the numbers on the other one: Yamaha 11%, Honda 12%, BMW 40%

Here's an example of a good Honda that just never really took off. If Honda came out with a retro bike of it but with F.I., more h.p./torque, better suspension and a little less weight I suspect it would sell better on today's market than back in the 80's. It's just not what most people wanted back then.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_ft500.htm

Beemer

6 hours ago, liqwiq said:

Here is the similar chart

Interesting data. Some while ago now and I wonder what more recent data would show. 

Just do it! 

When I spoke of quality, I meant more than just fault statistics. Things like the paint and chrome quality, fit and finish in general, instruments and switchgear, wire routing, powerband - the works. When my MT was 2 years old with 4k miles on the clock and having lived with a pedantic owner, every big bolt I've pulled have had a thick coat of corrosion. There wasn't one looking like that when I stripped my 1992 Honda 400 that has lived near the ocean and been ridden year round, also on salted winter roads, for the majority of its 65 k miles.

The only motorcycle I have ever seen that has done 400000km was a Honda Blackbird. Never been apart.

I used to pretty much buy predominantly Hondas because they were so reliable until the new models started getting heavier and heavier.

The original Honda 250 road single the CB250RS weighed 120kg and had 24HP. The recent one weighed 158kg and had 29HP.

There is a Honda 250 Spada ( VTwin 240) that lives down the highway from me I see every now and then. The guy has owned it since new ( early1990's). It has done over 250000km. Again, never been apart. 100kph , to and from work, for a couple of decades.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived