The MT-07 Forum

New owner from New York

Jemell Williams

Jemell Williams

As a first time owner/rider I feel that I have made a solid decision on the MT 07. I just getting comfortable on this machine and I can see where the trajectory will lead me. I have to delete a few things and get a pipe on her but I am very happy with the way my vision for this pretty lady is coming together. 

20180525_174832.jpg

Welcome, Bike looks good.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome! Have fun making those mods.

Welcome and congrats on your new girl! Don't try and change the other, you will fail, ha! Let us know what you think about the bike so far. Stay frosty and be safe!

Beemer

Jemell Williams

So what do I think of the bike so far...... Simply put I think I'm in love. The power in the bike is enough to keep me entertained for the foreseeable future but delivered in a way that honestly feels safe to me once I figured out the off and on snap of the throttle. The engine breaking is something I love when at speed but the jerkiness at lower speed takes some getting used to. I can't speak to the suspension yet as this is my first bike and am nowhere near testing it out, but for now it seems fine for my needs which are commuting to work. The absence of a wind screen really does not bother me at all, I don't get this a major complaint, put s one meat on your chest guys. Shifting gears was clunky at best the first week but now after learning the bike some they are becoming buttery smooth and I enjoy the process. One question of note would be shift changes, when do you guys shift to get the most out of the bike. And I have always heard "drop a gear and disappear" may sound silly to some but can anyone elaborate on this for me. Thanks guys in advance.

Just for kicks added another shot of my pretty lady.

IMG_20180525_213359_809.jpg

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Jemell Williams said:

And I have always heard "drop a gear and disappear" may sound silly to some but can anyone elaborate on this for me. Thanks guys in advance.

This means from what ever gear you're using during normal commuter riding (normally in the lower range of the RPMs).... if you need a burst of speed... You will "Drop" into a lower gear to put your RPMs higher in the power range and "disappear" from the traffic behind you by accelerating away from them.  ✌️

The phrase is usually used by riders who tend to exceed the posted speed limits by a large margin.

Congrats on the new bike. Be safe.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

try riding at 60mph in 6th gear than give the throttle a good twist- take mental notes of quickness....then try riding at 60mph in 5th gear, then give the throttle a good twist- by now you notice it pulls way quicker at 60mph in 5th vs 6th gear...  experiment with different speeds and diffrent gears... the phrase drop a gear usually comes from ppl who have owned stick shifted cars/trucks...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived