The MT-07 Forum

What bike do you like BETTER than the xx-07?

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

I've test rode a few bikes now, even bought an FJ-09 only to find out it didn't really scratch that itch like the FZ-07 does.

Anyone have a bike they like more?

I like my KTM 250 XC-W better.  But only because it's the best dirt/trail/climbing bike I have ever owned. Around 48 HP but only 238 lbs soaking wet. I can crash and pick it back up on the side of a mountain no probs. Brembo brakes stops on a dime. Freaking killer fully adjustable suspension. It's a $9,000 dirtbike. 

IMG_3631.JPG

My FZ-09 was a really fun bike. It was fast as hell 0-60.  Just think about doing a wheelie and it does a wheelie. 

But all around, the FZ-07 is better than the first model FZ-09.

IMG_3024.JPG

I like the Yamaha Vmax better than the FZ-07 or most other bikes. Its a comfy cruiser that completely hauls ass.  

I like the Ducati Supersport more than the FZ-07. 

I like the Yamaha FJ-1300 more than the FZ-07. 

I like most any bike by Triumph more than the FZ-07. 

I will like the Yamaha Tenere T-7 World Raid more than the FZ-07. FZ-07 engine, fully adjustable suspension and its kind of a dirtbike/Dualsport. An FZ-07 that  can jump curbs. 

IMG_0102.JPG

But for the money, the FZ-07 is still the very best Budget bike made. Best bang for the buck.  IF they improved the weak ass suspension, it would no longer be cheap. 

• Premium Member

I will trade up my HP-07 and wr250f for a T7... that will cover my bases for a lite weight dirt bike and street bike...Always have wanted Yamaha to stuff the CP2 motor into a 450F frame( many of my buddies/friends agree- very similar power output as a mildbuilt 450 but the power delivery is very " broad tractor flat TQ curve " vs the quick peaky power delivery of a YZ450F motor...  

I find that the CP3 motor is the ying to the yang of the CP2 motor... liter bikes need to pay attention to this little gem of a motor... easily holds 200whp with a turbo or decent tune w/exhaust will put down 120whp... 

there seems to be a mini technology revolution in motorsports going on...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

it's a tough one because I'm in love with a new bike every few weeks. The 07 is such a good bike though. I'm about 50% street 50% track now and i'm still very very happy with it. I did upgrade the front and rear suspension though, and have different rear sets and bars. It's somewhere right in between the stock FZ07 riding position and a sport bike. i'm happy every time i ride it so i can't complain. 

When it comes to looks, there are literally thousands of bikes made over the decades that appeal to me more than the MT07. A lot more. While the riding position is OK on the MT07, the seat's composure (forward slant and thin, soft padding) detracts from comfort. The stock suspension is abysmal, offering neither control or comfort. The front brakes are superb, though, with a splendid ABS, whereas the rear brake is numb and add little to the stopping distance. Instruments are naff; ugly, hard to read and you must scroll to get all the basic information displayed. The rear wheel is too wide.

What it has going for it is an attractive price (SV650 cost a little less here, though) and a stupendously great engine. The Virago 1100 engine in my bike suits me better because it is nearly as strong (well, stronger, but it must haul a lot more weight) and yet more relaxed, but for unadulterated  fun, for pure pleasure, nothing I have ridden comes close to the MT07. The engine alone was worth throwing money at the rest of the bike to make it more right. Still, I have no regrets handing it over to our son. For two reasons; I like to ride my Virago-based scrambler more, and the kid is now happy to just trundle along safely, enjoying the ride and the scenery.

13 hours ago, minkster said:

"180 horsepower, 126 ft-lb of torque." All packed into a comfy ride. I haven't read anything else as of yet but that grabbed me a bit. You could haul a lot of shite with a bike like that.

Edit: At the moment I would probably like an MT-07 Tracer better if only Yamaha would make them available across the pond. 🙏

I would rather a Tenere T-7 if the seat were comfy enough for my nearly every day 2-3 hour rides. Still, finding any good trails around here is almost impossible so IDK.

Beemer

topazsparrow
50 minutes ago, Beemer said:

"180 horsepower, 126 ft-lb of torque." All packed into a comfy ride. I haven't read anything else as of yet but that grabbed me a bit. You could haul a lot of shite with a bike like that.

Edit: At the moment I would probably like an MT-07 Tracer better if only Yamaha would make them available across the pond. 🙏

I would rather a Tenere T-7 if the seat were comfy enough for my nearly every day 2-3 hour rides. Still, finding any good trails around here is almost impossible so IDK.

it was actually 165hp, which seems somewhat low considering the 1650cc displacement! That's a rough insurance bracket where I live, not to mention the fuel consumption. Cool concept though, and i bet that 123 ft/lbs is a blast - if not bordering on excessive.

13 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

it was actually 165hp, which seems somewhat low considering the 1650cc displacement! That's a rough insurance bracket where I live, not to mention the fuel consumption. Cool concept though, and i bet that 123 ft/lbs is a blast - if not bordering on excessive.

POOF! There goes that dream, lol! I agree but I can still see though where that much torque could be very helpful in either getting that bike, fully loaded, up to speed quicker or lugging it's big arse up a steep hill without being considered as to having too much torque. I guess it all depends on the situation.

Beemer

topazsparrow
3 minutes ago, Beemer said:

POOF! There goes that dream, lol! I agree but I can still see though where that much torque could be very helpful in either getting that bike, fully loaded, up to speed quicker or lugging it's big arse up a steep hill without being considered as to having too much torque. I guess it all depends on the situation.

It's the $36,000 price tag that really kills that dream! hah. Can buy a nice sports car or TWO nice motorbikes for that money.

https://noblerushmotus.com/mstr/

10 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

It's the $36,000 price tag that really kills that dream! hah. Can buy a nice sports car or TWO nice motorbikes for that money.

https://noblerushmotus.com/mstr/

I didn't check out the price tag, that's ridiculous! It's almost too good for royalty arse to sit on unless there's something gold encrusted on it, ha! Thanks for that info!

Beemer

I think that faffi has just about said it all for me. I could have updated and improved some parts but I haven't. I enjoyed riding the Kwak 650 but it did not generate a change of bike. I wish mine rattled less. But then I have a bike that never fails to make me smile. With much more than sufficient torque to fulfil my wishes. And weighing far less than I could have imagined.  I had wanted to stay with Yamaha but wanted to sell my MT-03 (original) single.  My wished for MT-07 came just in time to avoid me buying a Gladius (forerunner of the current SV650). And at a cheap price.  Pay some more and you could get a better bike, of course.

PS  Will Yam do an MT-07 SP, like the 09SP and 10SP?

Just do it! 

5 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

You need the Rocket III for proper torque; 163 @ 2750 rpm :) 

"SP" is really a Honda designation. More like a MTZ or MTZ07R Something like that.

Any other bike...an 07 Tracer. I think the geometry is a bit better. I love this motor. Now a Tracer with a proper set of USD forks would be nice.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

In my local the bike to have to fit in is a cruiser, it seems that around 80 of the bikes I see are just that so If I really wanted to go bonkers and show up some of the naive bikers on these torque monsters that want to race me at lights I'll just pop $ for a good, used,  VMAX. That way I would not only fit in better but I could blow their socks off even more if a challenge were made. I know the bike is considered a "Sport heritage" now but for a number of years it ws considered a cruiser so the reclassification of it doesn't change the fact, IMO. Just like how a naked is really just a standard.

Beemer

Archived