The MT-07 Forum

Raised the dash pod for better visibility...

Randucci

With the dash pod in the stock position, I had to tip my head down each time I wanted to look at it, I'm 6'0" and sit pretty straight up. I originally just added spacers and longer screws, but you weren't able to then get the key in the ignition. I then machined an aluminum bracket to bring it up and back so now I now I can glance down at the dash and still insert the key in the ignition.

Here are a few pictures.

DSC_0699.jpg

I did add a 1" spacer to the aluminum bracket to lift it up higher.

DSC_0709.jpg

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

One more picture of the dash installed.

DSC_0710.jpg

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

• Premium Member

Interesting idea. It looks like it's even harder to reach the ignition than stock.  Are you able to reach the ignition seated in the pilot's seat?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yes, you do have to reach over a little more, but it is not a problem to do.

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Randucci said:

With the dash pod in the stock position, I had to tip my head down each time I wanted to look at it, I'm 6'0" and sit pretty straight up. I originally just added spacers and longer screws, but you weren't able to then get the key in the ignition. I then machined an aluminum bracket to bring it up and back so now I now I can glance down at the dash and still insert the key in the ignition.

Here are a few pictures.

DSC_0699.jpg

I did add a 1" spacer to the aluminum bracket to lift it up higher.

DSC_0709.jpg

I personally don't think moving it vertically up and closer to me is solving the problem. Don't get me wrong on this, I'm looking to move it up and away from me as much as possible. I haven't come up with an idea and I respect your work. I just can't imagine how its a beneficial, again I digress I have not experienced your mount, so I really can't judge. To me "mathematically" its a slight benefit at best. I'll add to that (fair play for doing what works for you and solving your issue)

4 minutes ago, fzar said:

I personally don't think moving it vertically up and closer to me is solving the problem. Don't get me wrong on this, I'm looking to move it up and away from me as much as possible. I haven't come up with an idea and I respect your work. I just can't imagine how its a beneficial, again I digress I have not experienced your mount, so I really can't judge. To me "mathematically" its a slight benefit at best. I'll add to that (fair play for doing what works for you and solving your issue)

It moved .75” back (towards the rider) and up 1.5”. I realize that moving it back at all defeats part of the benefits. Maybe part of me having to tip my head down is to look over my full face helmet,  but it has work for me in that I don’t have to tip my head down, just my eyes. 

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

I wish I had the machinery to create my ideas like that, it's cool what you did, I like it and you say it solved your problem so it's a plus but I'm wondering if making a bracket like you did but with the center cut out (making two individual pieces but longer and higher/pointing toward the front of bike.) would be an even bigger plus. The two pieces would have to be high enough to put the display either behind the key or just over the key hole/a little behind it but with enough room to access the ignition easily. My biggest concern would be is there enough room to do either of those with a windscreen sitting there? I think I've only seen it done without a windscreen so I'm unsure. Again, nice work!

Beemer

One of the biggest obstacles is that the stock dash mounting bracket is long and part of the whole back of the dash, it makes it hard to push forward because of how far the mounting holes are from the dash. The wire harness doesn't look to be a problem because you can route it back around the other side of the right handlebar. The fairing (or at least the one I used) may be an obstacle too, but I'll do a little mocking up and see if it will fit on the forward side above the ignition and if you can get the key in and out (kind of important).

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

I put in some hours last night trying to make a mount that would keep the dash more forward and up a little higher. But because of the fairing I have (and like a lot), it ended up not working out. The new bracket would have to be more forward or higher in order to be able to get the key in and out of the ignition switch. The fairing just wouldn't allow that, so I went back to the bracket I made above, which does work for me. In the two pictures below, there is a piece that needs be added on, which is shown in the next post (my pictures are too large). It is shown taped on as I needed to test different heights, once determined, I was going to weld it in place and drill two mounting holes in the top.

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

Here is the added top piece picture with the mockup card board.

DSC_0694.jpg

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

6 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Will you sell me the little bracket?👀

If you talking about the one in the first post, that is the one I ended up using.

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

Archived