The MT-07 Forum

Possibly bent front forks, what are my options?

Soysaucesandwich

Soysaucesandwich

I was fatigued during a hot day and closed my eyes for too long during a blink, crashed my bike at around 30mph (50kmh) into a curb and crashed. 

Bent my handlebar, I'm sure the front forks are bent. I'm going to bring it to a Yamaha dealership near where I live so they can take everything apart to make sure that it is straight. He quoted me at least 1000 Euro if the forks are bent. 

Is their an aftermarket fork that can just be swap out with the old forks? Might as well upgrade the front forks if they are bent right? 

also, I bought the bike for $5000, is dumping $2000 to fix it even worth it? should I just junk it and buy a new one? 

• Global Moderator

New forks are about $200 each.  New handlebars are pretty inexpensive too.  I would just replace them myself. 

Soysaucesandwich

I'm pretty handy person but I think I lacked the tools, and space as I do not have a garage (I do have private space to work, just expose to the element). 

Can you please point me to a place where I can also get two full front suspension assembly? All the site I went to sell individual parts of the suspension, not a full one. I think the whole suspension is bent, not just the fork. 

I'm pretty confident about fixing the handlebar, is the suspension that I am not sure about. 

Sorry if all of these questions are elementary, I know very little about fixing a motorcycle. 

• Global Moderator

If the triples are bent I would expect there is a good chance the frame is bent, which will probably total the bike.  Replacing the forks is very easy if you have a headlift stand.  You can easily do it in a couple of hours the first time and it will take around half an hour once you have done it before. 

Archived