The MT-07 Forum

Suzuki vs Harley

faffi

I kinda figured the V-rod would do pretty good (but not win) since it's the only high tech Harley that's made for street but I didn't expect Pauly Mood to whine about the clutch and ask for a 15 min. cool down/bike length handicap and still lose to a "Rice Burner" that's 19 years older. 

I'd say it's time for the Harley to hit the treadmill and shed about 200 lbs.

Beemer

I actually kinda like the v-rod. Doubt I'd ever actually buy one but if someone said i had to buy a harley davidson then that would be it.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I found it particularly amusing when the Suzuki rider said you should have been prepared for problems--you're racing a Harley. 😁

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

topazsparrow
1 hour ago, dmoney said:

I actually kinda like the v-rod. Doubt I'd ever actually buy one but if someone said i had to buy a harley davidson then that would be it.

Just get a Vmax. They're faster and way more reliable. Cheaper too.

Most "Real men ride harley" type of guys don't respect V-rods much anyway since it's not a "true" harley.

3 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Most "Real men ride harley" type of guys don't respect V-rods much anyway since it's not a "true" harley.

That might be the reason i like it

Hah, i've ridden a '83 GS1100E in that exact same blood red - back in the 80s when it was current. My good buddy had a 78 GS1000 and traded it for the 11 back then. And yeah, back then it was pretty darn, eyes wide-open,  FAST. They weren't the very best handling as they would wallow a bit, but in a straight line it would raise yer pulse rate. They made about 110 hp/70ft-lbs toqrue stock and weighed a portly 560 lbs or so wet. 

That said, the V-rod has a motor very much like the 990 Rotax twin in my Aprilia - they even use the same exact valve shims. So pretty decent power and torque. So  w/o looking, very similar HP-torque numbers as the Suzuki. 

Not surprised  at the outcome though. The V-rod is no less a porker weight-wise than any big cruiser. I'd guess it weighs 200 lbs more than the GS11. So, even with the GS11 guy moaning about gaining 40 lbs, the Harley might make a few more HP due to the more modern motor,  but loses big time in power to weight. 

Archived