The MT-07 Forum

Lovely classics from new parts

pattonme

Liquidmetal

Oh hell yeah.  Very nice.

Makes me wish I still had my '78 Kawa KZ650SR.  Would have been fun to do something similar with it.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Yep, pretty cool as a concept, but the CB1100RS does now exist as a production model that's pretty close to the concept.  https://www.carolenash.com/insidebikes/reviews/honda/reviewed-honda-cb1100rs/

Makes a whopping 88 hp and tips the scales at a portly 550 lbs! My 16 year old Aprilia with another gallon of gas, a full fairing, and large panniers weighs 20 lbs less - wtf? 

The new Thruxtons are not as heavy as the CB, but take a pretty good heave to get off the side stand. The CB11s somehow carry the weight lower and feel lighter at least in the showroom. Both bikes are visually smaller than their heft would suggest. The Thruxton looks tiny indoors

I'm thinking the new Thruxton would be more fun to ride, but I'd love looking at either in my garage. 

Pattonme, We usually have a similar taste in motorcycles, but not this time. Look at the aweful front suspension. How much travel has it got? 3 inches?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

45 minutes ago, gregjet said:

Pattonme, We usually have a similar taste in motorcycles, but not this time. Look at the aweful front suspension. How much travel has it got? 3 inches?

hard to know w/o specs, but it's likely more like 5" 

The fork is a 43mm Showa. The front brakes are radial, 4 piston Tokico

Honda_CB1100RS_front_tire.jpg

That's not the same front end. Silver instead of black lowers, the stanchions are chrome on the second one the upper ones some sort of black coating. And look at the first pic the distance between the fork seal and the bottom triple clamp and between the mudguard and the horns. Could be an optical illusion but looks short.

That's why I posted the pict. It comes from that Carol Nash review of the production bike. 

In that pict with the black stanchions, they really look small isndiameter. Probably just the picture. The std. CB1100 uses a 41mm fork. Both are non-cartridge using something Showa calls "Dual Bending Valve". Suppose to have good compliance and weigh less than a cartridge set-up. A good thing considering how portly the whole bike is. 

I also like the upswept pipes on the concept better than the production, but that wouldn't be a game changer. 

Not sure if it's even coming to the US. 

I think you need better reading glasses @gregjet. The prototype has 5" from my eyeballing it. Aside from coloring it's the same as the production picture. The black is DLC.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Honda was pretty darn true to the concept bike looks. It's too heavy for my tastes these days. Had they come up with a way to make it, say 475 lbs wet, well, it might have been way too expensive and never sold. 

True I do , in fact need better reading glasses.

Archived