The MT-07 Forum

What kind of bike is that?

fromthecage

I'm sure if any of you have heard it as much as I, you've had a lot of people turn heads to check out your bike. As of late, most of the time I'm getting the "it looks like a Ducati" comment as well. I'm not mad though. I consider Ducati to have an amazing element of style and if Yamaha has managed to be grouped with their bikes in the styling category, I'll take that compliment. What about everyone else, what are they saying about yours?

• Global Moderator

Color has a lot to do with it too. Yours is grey, which is Monster-ish, so it's a Ducati. Same probably for a red one.
My bike has been called a BMW twice but never a Ducati. I think it is because it's white. Even when I'm standing right beside it and I point at the logo, they still don't register. 

And non riders are shockingly ignorant when it comes to brands. There is a thread here what people say.
And others are plain lazy when it comes to naming.
I have a Toyota Land Cruiser and it is being considered a Jeep by just about everyone.
I like to scan ads to see what's out there and there are a lot op people that sell Yahama's Susuki's and Kasawaki's  ;-|

• Premium Member

The only thing left on my bike is the circle Yamaha emblem and I've had a few people think it was a BMW and a few think it's a Ducati.

Occasionally someone will see the tuning forks and pick up that it's a Yamaha right away.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

It surprised me that Yamaha did not put their name on the bike in North America like they did everywhere else. If you do not see and recognize the logo there is no easy way to tell what it is.

Many people have told me it sounds like a Ducati because, well...it does.  :P I also have had people say it looks like a Duc as well and I take that as a compliment. Its the tube frame that makes people think that I think, but then you look at the engine and if you know Ducatis you know they are almost exclusively L-twins, and you see the FZ doesn't have a L-twin motor and that's the dead give away that makes people realize it isn't one. Granted they still don't know what the heck it is and I have to tell them. Also I have the Blue/Black color and it has the Monster-ish look to it, but if you know your brands, you know that blue is unmistakably Yamaha.

Also as a side note, whenever someone asks me what kind of bike I have I say, "2015 Yamaha FZ-07" and no one knows what it is. So to remedy this, I have 2 pictures that I can pull up quickly on my phone to show people, and normally they really like what they see. Ahhh, I love my bike.  8-)

My FZ-09 is orange so I get alot of KTM questions like, "Is that a Superduke"?
Yeah, I can see that. Its a shame people don't know that KTM don't make 3-Cylinder bikes...

Do y'all say "eff-zee-oh-seven" or "eff-zee-seven" when you tell someone what it is? Just curious... I've heard it both ways and I usually say the former.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Do y'all say "eff-zee-oh-seven" or "eff-zee-seven" when you tell someone what it is? Just curious... I've heard it both ways and I usually say the former.
"eff-zee-oh-seven"  

Illegitimi non carborundum

I usually say "Yamaha Eff-zee-oh-seven" as a lot of folks I meet are unfamiliar with the tuning fork logo. They usually comment on how small the bike looks and how wide the back tire is. They all seem to like the styling and say that it looks fast.

• Premium Member
We don't have Zee's in Canada, so it's Ef Zed 'O' Seven
I like the "zed" part. I think I am going to use it :)

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

Well the thing is, if you know enogh about Ducatis to be able to see a bike like this and think, "that looks like a Ducati," you should at least know that Ducatis are L-Twins and they should be able to tell by looking at the engine. People need to get a bit more educated before they blindly start shouting out bike brands.

I usually get asked if it's a Buell.
That's surprising. I don't think it looks anything like a Buell.
I't because of the muffler. In my case, it was a newbie that ask me if my bike was a Buell? 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I usually say "Yamaha Eff-zee-oh-seven" as a lot of folks I meet are unfamiliar with the tuning fork logo. They usually comment on how small the bike looks and how wide the back tire is. They all seem to like the styling and say that it looks fast.
Ditto; no one has said they thought it was anything but good looking... of course it is the 'go fasta red'...  ;)

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!

Archived