The MT-07 Forum

Adding a DNA filter and an Akrapovic Titanium/Carbon exhaust... need to flash ECU?

Leo Vannucci

Leo Vannucci

Hi guys,

Before you tell me that an ECU flash is awesome even with no mods done to the bike, please remember I live in Peru and unfortunately, there are no bike places that do dyno tuning or ECU flashing... so I'm pretty much stuck by my own and I don't really plan on spending 400 bucks on one of those flash tune kits either.

Question is... if I buy the Akrapovic exhaust and I keep it as it is without removing the db killer - which I know that in this configuration requires NO tuning at all - but, I on top of that, replace the stock filter and put a DNA filter. Will that combination "need" an ECU tune? By "need" I mean that I amm for making sure I don't lose power and/or damage the engine, however, if the ECU will re-program itself to the Akrapovic, my question is if it will also reprogram itself to the DNA filter AND Akra together.

Thanks!

You should be fine. But if you can afford an Akro pipe, how is it you can't afford at least a DJ with auto-tune if not any of the other solutions? IMO buy an ECU solution first, then get the exhaust. Or buy a 'cheapo' exhaust like Dan Moto with the ECU. It's not like you'll really notice any power difference between the Akro and DM. But at least you get the noise and a sorted ECU.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Leo Vannucci

Well, if I get 1500 bucks (that's hoe much it will cost here in Peru) and 150 bucks for the DNA filter... I doubt I'd be able to spend anymore money...

But, what's a DJ with autotune?

DJ = Dynojet PC-V with optional auto-tune module. Lordy, $150 for a bit of foam filter? You can spend however you like but I would cheap out on the can and focus on ECU. Aren't you at attitude?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Leo Vannucci
2 minutes ago, pattonme said:

DJ = Dynojet PC-V with optional auto-tune module. Lordy, $150 for a bit of foam filter? You can spend however you like but I would cheap out on the can and focus on ECU. Aren't you at attitude?

Nope, I'm in Lima, right at sea level.

Leo Vannucci
10 minutes ago, pattonme said:

Whoa, buying those 2 things will cost about 800 bucks or so (in the USA)... damn!

topazsparrow
5 hours ago, Leo Vannucci said:

Nope, I'm in Lima, right at sea level.

At sea level with ex and a more free flowing air filter, you're going to be running super lean.

Why spend money on the air filter at all? you can't really take advantage of it without a tune anyway. The exhaust at least sounds nice, but there's no point to a more free flowing air filter if you're not tuning it.

• Premium Member

stock airfilter flows pretty darn good, handful of threads on this.. the Hordpower Airbox provides way more power than the stock airbox can provide...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Before you spend money on the Akra, just know that with the dB killer in there is barely a noticable difference in sound, if that matters to you. But at sea level, I think anything like a pipe or filter will require a tune as the bike will probably be running super lean. 

I think you'll want a AFR mod of some sort. I understand the $ issue, but you can get an EJK for around $200 US and, while not ideal, it will help a lot.

I've played with this bike quite a bit and have run 3 different exhausts (4 including stock) and have run an EJK before finally getting a reflash. All the pipes I put in had different enough characteristics to require jetting mods, esp the Acro. If you put in that exhaust and a DNA intake without a jetting change, I think you'll wish you hadn't.

Good luck.

Archived