The MT-07 Forum

Potential fz-07 Owner

desertrider

Well, where do I begin?

Born and raised in southern California (northern OC) and I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 6. I've always thought about riding on the streets but half the time I barely feel safe in my car and I knew that if I didn't get plowed on the road, my family would probably kill me anyway for buying a street bike  :D. I'm not sure what changed recently but I've warmed up to the idea of putting my skills on pavement; I blame the 6 years of hour long commutes in traffic. So I spent a weekend hopping around a few shops and checking out bikes just for fun and ended up falling in love with the looks and feel of the fz-07.

Warming as I may be to the idea of hitting the pavement, I still have my fears and I'm not quite ready to jump in just yet so I figured I would join a forum and maybe some of my nerves could be put at ease by actual riders and their experiences. And what better forum than for the bike that I fell in love with the looks of. Lots of other things to figure out too, like insurance costs and making sure I buy quality gear/what type of gear will protect me best. Look forward to learning lots!

• Premium Member

Well welcome! There's definitely a lot of members here who have great knowledge and experience. If there's anything you'd like to know, feel free to ask!

There's a good amount of us in SoCal, so hopefully you can join us!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator

Welcome @desertrider, great to have you on board. Lots of info here to get you in the saddle. Just do it! I dare you. You won't regret it. Imagine having fun riding during an otherwise boring commute. If I lived in Calif, I would not hesitate. :)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome desertrider! Taking the msf course will greatly increase your confidence and safety. Glad you joined our little group.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully it will help you with your decision making processes. I agree with the suggestions of taking the MSF course - after many years of NOT riding, it really helped me feel tuned in again and aware of my own performance, as well as others on the road. Plus, I caught a few bad habits I had unknowingly developed long ago.

I read a post in here somewhere with the idea of taking it easy for the first 100 miles, just to get comfortable and familiar with the bike handling and general traffic. Great advice in my opinion. I took back roads home from the dealership just so I could go at my own pace and not feel pressured by expressway traffic and speeds. Turned out great, and as a bonus it gave me 3x the ride time.

Best of luck!

Well welcome! There's definitely a lot of members here who have great knowledge and experience. If there's anything you'd like to know, feel free to ask! 
There's a good amount of us in SoCal, so hopefully you can join us!
I'm hoping I can join you too! I was actually surprised how man of us are in the same area. 

Welcome @desertrider, great to have you on board. Lots of info here to get you in the saddle. Just do it! I dare you. You won't regret it. Imagine having fun riding during an otherwise boring commute. If I lived in Calif, I would not hesitate. :)
Well great, now I HAVE to get a bike. Can't be turning down a dare! 

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully it will help you with your decision making processes. I agree with the suggestions of taking the MSF course - after many years of NOT riding, it really helped me feel tuned in again and aware of my own performance, as well as others on the road. Plus, I caught a few bad habits I had unknowingly developed long ago. 
I read a post in here somewhere with the idea of taking it easy for the first 100 miles, just to get comfortable and familiar with the bike handling and general traffic. Great advice in my opinion. I took back roads home from the dealership just so I could go at my own pace and not feel pressured by expressway traffic and speeds. Turned out great, and as a bonus it gave me 3x the ride time.

Best of luck!

Yeah I definitely plan on taking the MSF, the added benefits of not having to do the DMV test and possibly cheaper insurance because of it are just happy bonuses. If/when I do get one, spending some quality time on less crowded and fast paced streets sounds like a winning idea. I'll probably spend some time in empty parking lots too to try and get out of my habits on that the dirt that would translate badly to street riding; like putting my foot down for a hard turn lol.

Archived