The MT-07 Forum

Body Position/Bike Setup

rhino

Attached are some photos from a recent track day.  Currently have the Driven Rearsets (set about 1" back and 1/2" up from stock) and woodcraft clip-ons with 1" riser in up position.

I am a big guy (6'4"); curious on peoples thoughts on the riding position and any advise/changes on bike setup.

Track-2.jpg

Track-3.jpg

Track 1.jpg

Hard to tell a whole lot from a couple pics but; looks like You've got a travel indicator on your fork and you're using 2/3ish so  that's good, means you're having a heck of a good time and done something to the boingers.  Also looks like your suspension is balanced front to rear. You look to be in correct position for the speed it appears you're moving, i.e. chin over inside hand. And it appears you have a good intense focus and are relaxed on the controls. 

If you're having fun and picking up speed it'll soon be time for a track class of some sort to keep you progressing. Also try to find a local track guy to help teach you how to read tires. This way you'll understand what's going on with your suspension and have more track presence to go faster, safer and have more fun. 

That's the $.60 tour, it would take volumes but you get the idea. A good book or 2 also wouldn't hurt. Google is your friend here.

And please support the local vendors and track photographers, it's how they make a living and how we ensure our hobbies  future and preserve our memories.

Good on you!

Blue Line Racing

Dave

• Premium Member

It's hard for me to contribute as I'm a noob, but looks good.  Track riding is so much fun.  I tend to ride too carefully on the street.  I needed to go to the track to test the limits of me and the bike.  So much fun!  Going back to NYST this Saturday and maybe Sunday.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Rhino, I am also a noob that enjoys track days.

While 07 is design for more vert riding, I ride twisty and track-C mostly and find it challenging  but have more control with a more horizontal position, having woodcraft 1.5" offsets in down position helps me keep my chest closer to the tank. I am 5-10 @190, but with your size on this small bike its probably a greater challenge. Personally I just need to keep practicing getting comfortable keeping as low to the tank as I can. Going to Sonoma raceway on Monday, it s a Yamaha only day with test bikes available hope to test ride a R1.

1539410549_superbikecoach_corneringschool_2018may26_443small.thumb.jpg.d6598a770dbfb25c43e0adc689f157df.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

At 6'4" you have some weight to throw around, like me. Im 5'11" and 230. It looks to me that your adding a lot of lean to the bike and having a blast doing it.

I would encourage you to get off the the bike more. Hang that ass out in the breeze. The FZ07 has a wide seat and you can take advantage. I always try to have at least a cheek hanging out there.

Your torso looks inline with the bike but its tough to tell, the more you move your ass over the easier it is to get you body/torso to the inside, with respect of the bikes centerline.

It will let you lean the bike a lot lot less for a given speed, or better yet go a lot faster at the same lean angle.

Here is a few of me doing my best to keep my ass off the saddle and on the inside outside arm and elbow extended as much as I can!

Look at my suit zipper in relation to the headlight.

Looking good my man!

~Pete

Screenshot 2017-07-31 19.29.09.png

20170730 Palomar Mountain C1 1352-L.jpg

'16 FZ07

At 6' 4" I don't see how you could change your position 'much'. From your pics you appear a little larger for the bike but how does it feel to you? That's what matters. Are you struggling with anything? Are you comfortable?

Beemer

• Premium Member
On 8/9/2018 at 5:44 PM, elmo said:

Rhino, I am also a noob that enjoys track days.

While 07 is design for more vert riding, I ride twisty and track-C mostly and find it challenging  but have more control with a more horizontal position, having woodcraft 1.5" offsets in down position helps me keep my chest closer to the tank. I am 5-10 @190, but with your size on this small bike its probably a greater challenge. Personally I just need to keep practicing getting comfortable keeping as low to the tank as I can. Going to Sonoma raceway on Monday, it s a Yamaha only day with test bikes available hope to test ride a R1.

1539410549_superbikecoach_corneringschool_2018may26_443small.thumb.jpg.d6598a770dbfb25c43e0adc689f157df.jpg

Hey @elmo Could you tell what screen you have on there that works with the woodcraft 1.5' in the down position. I'm curious as Iv'e got the WoodCraft 1" that I'm going to be putting in the down position and I can't seem to find a screen that works with the 1" or the 1.5" woodcrafts in the down position. Thanks..

fzar,

I trimmed down the stock screen and may lower it more, as its main purpose is for track day photos.

I was in error earlier, I have 1" offsets in the down position, leaves about 3/4" gap at plastic at full turn.

With bars going forward and down need to deal with extra cable length.

I did need to shim the screen top sub-frame 1/2" for brake line clearance.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-vstream-sport-windscreen-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

201938728_screentopspaceratflathead.thumb.jpg.4b8255a0e8eb14e7c4821cfa5fea29cb.jpg

screen.thumb.jpg.3e708435002e36c3fb5809becb24c4b3.jpg

Everybody has an answer, yet the answer is how you develop on the bike.  This takes saddle time, it takes saddle time, it takes saddle time did I mention it takes saddle time?  One of my passions is instructing on ergonomics, to me it is key to how well you begin to develop skills and confidence.  A 6 foot plus frame will always over shadow the FZ as the image shows the bike looks dwarfed with your body type.  That is OK, it only increases to work you have to do to make the bike fit.  My observations just from the pics

1. Your legs looked cramped.  Not sure what you can do with the rear sets, but back and down may assist on a better feel for you with brake and shift.
  2. Your elbows are to tucked inward. This could be handle bar choice, position or just over all ergo setup forcing you to compensate.
  3. In a lean angle always place your face as close to where your mirror would be so another words your face would be as such like you looking at your teeth in the mirror.  Again this could be due to being stuffed into the bike with your frame size, also it is comfort level (SEE SADDLE TIME)
  4. Not sure your location, but check the track days and see if they have advanced or one on one training. Jason Pridmore ventures out of CA from time to time and accommodates new and vet riders. 

As noted, nobody has the right answer but you.  Bike setup if you can get the bike on stands, get in full gear, sit on the bike and start with basics, like

• Rear brake and shift position (Tucked, upright and lean)
  • Clutch and front brake (Tucked, upright and lean)
  • Adjust the rear sets to accommodate your leg length and foot position comfort.
  • Try differing bar setups, include angle of bar in the clamps, differing bars etc. (Just because the trend online is xx fats bars, this does not mean it fits for you)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

R1's comments I pretty much agree with.

I will add that I think you are physically too big to get a decent fit on the 07. You look like I did on my CBR250RR, which was way too short for my ordinary Aussie stature. Even making a seat and cowl that got me furthur back wouldn't stop me being bunched up. Incredible bike but I just couldn't fit in it properly.

The 07 would be fine for the street for you but getting into a racing tuck and getting your CoG in the right place is going to be tiring. Your height and weight on this bike is always going to be too high to stop big weight transfer ( though it will help loads the 07's light front end).

Honestly, in my opinion only, you should consider a longer wheelbase bike. Or if you are insane enough, a motard. You size and weight would be an advantage. Or if you have way too much money, a  Ducati or a BMW as they tend to be longer cockpit.

Maybe some of the bigger displacment jap bikes . I can't speak from experience as I don't ride large displacement bikes.

R1 and others may be able to help with that area.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived